1998 VFR800Fiw

fieryfred

Question

• Member Contributer

Dont shoot me for posting in the wrong place. Newbie & first post.

Had the VFR from new, liked it so much i kept it & from being the touring bike became the ride to work bike.

This was replaced for touring by a VFR Vtec, Pan European & FJR1300.

I am now what is called an old fart in the UK. So forgetting gets better with time.

To cut a long story short i have just changed the thermostat. That involved a crow bar to get the throttle bodies off.

Now being a numptie i have cocked up the vac hose locations. Any idea where No 15 should go to. Any diagrams available of the hose locations.

Bike started first time but FI light came on. No 15 came away in my hand honest officer.

16 answers to this question

• Member Contributer

You can download the service manual here:

Vacuum hose diagrams are in the section on the FI, IIRC. 

• Member Contributer

Is this what you're looking for?  From the VTEC svc manual . . .

Top view, bottom view below. 

VTEC TB top.JPG

VTEC TB bottom view.JPG

• Member Contributer

Welcome fireyfred. 

Your 1998 vfr800 is a 5th gen and doesn't have VTEC! 5th gens are 4 valve ops all the time.

The vac hose your referring to, does it have some form of label on it being 15?

With your side stand down. What Fi Fault Code is flashing? If its the MAP sensor then that might be where the vac hose belongs!

• Member Contributer

If yours is a '98, then here is the diagram:

1.jpg

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, Skids said:

If yours is a '98, then here is the diagram:

1.jpg

Good one Skids, where did ya get that drawing? 

Hose 15 needs to be blocked off or fitted to the diaphragm.

• Member Contributer

Maybe I read the OP's post differently than everyone else - he seems to imply that the G5 is gone . . .

"Had the VFR from new, liked it so much i kept it & from being the touring bike became the ride to work bike.

This was replaced for touring by a VFR Vtec"

Although the adverb "for touring" could mean that a VTEC was added to the G5, but it's not clear . . . The verbiage and thread title seem to have a bit of dis-connect, or maybe as he says, I'm "cocked up".  :wacko:    Well anyway, either way maybe he's covered.  If he replies I guess we'll find out! 

• Member Contributer
6 hours ago, Grum said:

Good one Skids, where did ya get that drawing? 

Hose 15 needs to be blocked off or fitted to the diaphragm.

It's page 5-66 of the 5th Gen Service Manual.

In case it is a 6th Gen (Vtec), this is page 5-62 of the 6th Gen Service Manual.

1.jpg

• Member Contributer

Thanks for the replies & drawings. These will come in handy to get the hoses in the correct place.

It looks like i attached hose 15 to the base of the air intake body 2 stubs side by side & should have attached it to the bypass control solenoid valve.

No FI fault code showing just the light on & the engine hunting. This made me think i had cocked up on the hose locations.

When i lifted the tank hose 15 had come adrift. My fault. Will have a look in the morning.

I am now like Mr Magoo with varifocals aka jam jar bottoms.

To clarify it is the 1998 F1W. Yes i had a vtec to replace it as the touring bike, the F1W became the ride to work bike.

The vtec was traded for the Pan & the Pan for the FJR.

The vtec solo was fine but loaded with her indoors panniers & top box & riding the Swiss Alps, the vtec was hard to ride.

You had to be above the rev limit or stay below. No fun with the extra weight going round a bend & the vtec kicking in.

A point she remembers was the heavens opened, the road had streams of water running down it.

When a brick & water where going faster than we could i pulled in. No traffic moved untill the rain stopped.

We stopped at the first village in Italy got a hotel & hit the bar.

The bikes i still have are the VFR, CB750/4, 3 x CB500/4, CB250 & a Guzzi Le Mans 2. The cars are a TVR chimaera & a freelander 2 plus a motorhome.

Bet your garages are full of tasty big engined toys.

The last time I had my air box off and working a pesky coolant “leak” I honked up a hose or two. It is easy to do when fiddling getting everything back together. The Honda service manual is sooooo handy!! 

• Member Contributer

One of my early bikes was a 500/4......loved it.

SCAN0088.JPG

Yes, I know the fairing is awful, what can I say? I was young.....

• Member Contributer
29 minutes ago, Skids said:

One of my early bikes was a 500/4......loved it.

SCAN0088.JPG

Yes, I know the fairing is awful, what can I say? I was young.....

Fully agree Skids, magic bike, but oh dear that fairing is fugly!:ohmy: Must have been fashionable back in the black and white photo days!

• Member Contributer

The 500 and 750 Fours were indeed, magic.  There was just a certain "something" about them.  Even the headers were beautiful.  Like bell bottom jeans and long hair, that fairing was the fashion of its time - not all that different than the front bodywork that one might have seen on Hailwood's TT Hondas. 

• Member Contributer

In 1969 is was a pound per cc. 750/4 £750 500/4 £500 250 twin £250 give or take a few bob.

Being on £10 a week i had a BSA Bantam. So the bikes i could not afford but wanted i got later in life.

They all cost a lot more now.

I was at the TT in 1978 for Hailwoods come back & the only bike that passed me on the mountain was a Guzzi Le Mans.

So that was added to the collection.

Nostalgia aint what it used to be. Different riding & give 3 days notice for braking.

The modern stuff is so much better, but i love riding the old bikes makes you smile every ride.

Open face helmet a must, pudding basin you cant buy anymore.

• Member Contributer
23 hours ago, trmoyer said:

The last time I had my air box off and working a pesky coolant “leak” I honked up a hose or two. It is easy to do when fiddling getting everything back together. The Honda service manual is sooooo handy!! 

Agree i took the air box off & started a new using the info posted above. Great stuff thanks for that. All went back together & works a treat.

I misplaced or lost hoses in the throttle bodies Doh. My fault but alls well that ends well. Out for a blast in the morning.

Thanks again for the help.

• Member Contributer
On 6/22/2021 at 12:14 AM, Skids said:

It's page 5-66 of the 5th Gen Service Manual.

In case it is a 6th Gen (Vtec), this is page 5-62 of the 6th Gen Service Manual.

1.jpg

Thanks Skids.

Bloody hell, I was missing it by one page, 5-67 is the start of the Throttle Body section where I was searching. Didn't think it would be part of the Air Cleaner Housing section! Murphys Law!:491:

• Member Contributer
8 hours ago, Grum said:

Thanks Skids.

Bloody hell, I was missing it by one page, 5-67 is the start of the Throttle Body section where I was searching. Didn't think it would be part of the Air Cleaner Housing section! Murphys Law!:491:

😄 :fing02:

Archived