VFR decal

When I picked up my 5G back in Nov 2020,  I got a great deal (imo) on a mechanically perfect vfr, only had 13K miles on it and purchased for 2K.

I've had 2K trouble free miles since then.  The only real flaw was that the previous owner dumped the bike in a gravel driveway and scratched up the fairing.  The fairing has some scratches in it from the gravel.  *that* i could 100% live with.  but the previous owner tried to repaint it and said they used offical honda vfr red paint.  Problem is it's flat and not very glossy. He did not clear coat it. 

Still I was estatic with the bike, and I figured hell I haven't ridden in forever I might actually drop it so who cares.

So my question(s) are.  Could it be flat like this because it wasn't clear coated?  and if I take it to a body shop to just fix it I probably need a new VFR decal and where do I get one?

thx

JQkTCJlIp5jR7wf4w0nhETLGxrmk1_-CD5giCRVW9GeTEe6UkvrY5TeORsCtZXkUgsQFDoo1NOVaQwrY7VBGerlIdTubMy_-YO6knUTlS2gIGKVMaw8CNpmC9yTEOJIymHIW9aXuGUftl-5eKrg70FJhZUwEp-Mj5kXmzHrQD-zfkVCjQ2_ermDFP76934fD-a97iR46FZz1G7RlI4Hp10tCcMvN2LuYO4ZsIIyuYFUhnHuzQUmaTwQqNvuI8HazPU2aHPRZ2q3cnqND3CD5JCtbg8zZjdqAJ5THlPVspSrOeqsg8N0gWIuwl2G8yOmSIU2WD5upulhz33eBrbYmMM6alnESDTneMoeiQiKTDJLiV96G7dc7IOlef3ic1J0oWYWdXxOY6Yqx-kv_h0y83hLA1B2qtymLltkYi_9Ka7P-r58_l3g3SkTnzTpI5WjXfIW4RvvJSfpMqHU4PRnM7j9rfJBb-Neit6_1qQawHUx2Yp4PCvyTVqPTndB_2tmCLnXjMHKxe_AouCzrlvrywpFat90Lo2WyKqMjRC4nIq6v7bmB9SDQTW1n5dLNPlZneqobnUOCI3jkY9lt6_IILF8T9UB45BAfTbUkjN9vmLR70ffQcoVZbyPKKQARZK5wMhhCEH-tTQhSy7_WKZ_77c3aetNQ9YihHt2x1L59iNF1m18YytOzOBEQmF5Ne7TEmSOBUR5WKuUB5Vlkm8vUKChG=w1139-h854-no?authuser=0

• Member Contributer

The decals are nla from Honda, haven't seen any aftermarket sources yet. I could use a set too. PO of my fairings repainted them nicely but no decals.

Just wondering which decal you are wanting.

Whilst I am in Australia, I might be able to help out and hence the wider community here as I own a vinyl cutter and can create my own decals.

As an example of the decals I have created for myself, have a look here.  https://gsx1400owners.org/forum/index.php?topic=4148.105

I also own a GSX1400 - the link goes to my rebuild thread.  That page shows the decals I created for my 1400 when I resprayed and clear coated it all myself.  So all decals you see on the bike were made by me and my trusty vinyl cutter.

With the decals you are after, all I need is a flat scan of picture of the decal you are wanting and the external measurements of the decal for an exact size.  I can then put all that information into the vinyl cutting software..  Takes a little bit of time as the scans when imported need some cleaning up.  But it can be done as you can see with the Suzuki and Yoshimura decals on my 1400.

Let me know if you are interested, I'm happy to help.

With regards to the dull paint.  Yes, more than likely the paint is dull matte finish as there is no clear coat on it.  Problem is that the paint may well have contaminants on it now.  Which means that most spray painters would probably want to strip the paint off, respray and then clear coat straight after that.  Otherwise there is a risk of the clear coat peeling off the current paintwork, even with extensive cleaning and then a good wipe of wax and grease remover.  The paint would more than likely need a slight cut back with some 600 grade wet and dry sand paper as well before a possible clear coat.  Most professionals most likley won't just spray clear over the top due to the risk of the clear coat flaring up and having issues with bonding..  Just my opinion on this. I'm no professional, but a lot of my mates are pro spray painters who taught me how to spray paint etc - hence why I did all the work on my 1400 myself.

• Member Contributer

Guess its been said a million times but that is a superb resto of the 1400, beautiful work. Very talented fellow you are RothmansVFR.

Cheers to you.:beer:

2 hours ago, Grum said:

Guess its been said a million times but that is a superb resto of the 1400, beautiful work. Very talented fellow you are RothmansVFR.

Cheers to you.:beer:

Thanks Grum,

If you looked right through the whole thread, yeah, it was a lot of work.  But really happy with the results.

So it seems with a few other 1400 owners on the forum as well, as a few of them made some offers to buy the bike off me after see the results.  But she is a keeper like my Rothmans VFR.

Now getting tempted to buy a VFR1200F and paint if up in TT Legends colour scheme.  Saw one the other day on a google search for some reviews and really liked the TT Legends paint scheme on the 1200..  funnily enough a friend of mine in Canberra used to own a VFR800 and he had it in the TT Legends colours, he ended up selling it to someone in Sydney and then went and bought himself one of the latest Kawasaki Ninja 1000SX.

7 hours ago, RothmansVFR said:

Just wondering which decal you are wanting.

Whilst I am in Australia, I might be able to help out and hence the wider community here as I own a vinyl cutter and can create my own decals.

As an example of the decals I have created for myself, have a look here.  https://gsx1400owners.org/forum/index.php?topic=4148.105

I also own a GSX1400 - the link goes to my rebuild thread.  That page shows the decals I created for my 1400 when I resprayed and clear coated it all myself.  So all decals you see on the bike were made by me and my trusty vinyl cutter.

With the decals you are after, all I need is a flat scan of picture of the decal you are wanting and the external measurements of the decal for an exact size.  I can then put all that information into the vinyl cutting software..  Takes a little bit of time as the scans when imported need some cleaning up.  But it can be done as you can see with the Suzuki and Yoshimura decals on my 1400.

Let me know if you are interested, I'm happy to help.

With regards to the dull paint.  Yes, more than likely the paint is dull matte finish as there is no clear coat on it.  Problem is that the paint may well have contaminants on it now.  Which means that most spray painters would probably want to strip the paint off, respray and then clear coat straight after that.  Otherwise there is a risk of the clear coat peeling off the current paintwork, even with extensive cleaning and then a good wipe of wax and grease remover.  The paint would more than likely need a slight cut back with some 600 grade wet and dry sand paper as well before a possible clear coat.  Most professionals most likley won't just spray clear over the top due to the risk of the clear coat flaring up and having issues with bonding..  Just my opinion on this. I'm no professional, but a lot of my mates are pro spray painters who taught me how to spray paint etc - hence why I did all the work on my 1400 myself.

wow nice job on the 1400 i wish i was that talented painting wise, but that's a blind spot for me.

the VFR decal at the bottom there is what I was looking for.  I am kinda torn on this.  While I want my VFR to be purtty she's not a garage queen.  I will ride the piss out of this bike or as much as time allows.  I definitely keep up on maintenance items.  It's just the matte color is starting to annoy me more 😉

I greatly appreciate the offer to help out with a decal.  I guess step one for me is i need to get my arse over to the body shop I know to see what they think about getting the paint right.  Then making sure my finance minister  (aka my wife) doesn't have an objection on that 😄    then figure out the decal part of it.

I started this thread mainly because I was like hey I'll need decal(s) if I do a true repaint of this, started looking around for some and didn't find any.

• Member Contributer

The dull paint finish probably hasn’t been treated with cutting paste to polish it

• Member Contributer

Here's 3 pages of VFR decals.  I have purchased from them multiple times and the quality and service has been great.  They recently added an outline on some decals that didn't originally have one and did a great job.  They will also pull one decal out of a set if it is not listed individually.

https://honda-decals.com/default.tpl?startat=1&cart=1624292237158850978&--GROUP1field=S_Name%2Btaxable%2BTITLE%2BDESCRIPTION%2Bquantity%2Bprice%2Blocality&--waGROUP1datarq=vfr

Give Graham @ image works a shout. He can make you any decal you want. I have used him many times.

If you are going to repaint , Honda painted their bikes then put the decals on .

I would paint , put decals on then clear lacquer over the top . Much better and longer lasting finish .

http://www.bike-stickers.com/homepage.htm

Archived