Newbie To The VFR...

Steve1

Hi all,

Just joined the forum...

Little background...have been riding most of my life, did the usual things like making mopeds louder etc etc, have done the sport bike scene and have the wrists & back to prove it lol, previous bike was a cbr600, had a busa and tlr, first real bike after passing test back in the day was a kawasaki gpx600r.

Anyways, just purchased a really well kept 92 vfr 750f rc36 in red, standard apart from a new full ss scorpion zorst.

Heard all the hype regarding these engines and build, got to say i am impressed, why i waited this long to get hold of one is beyond me, the sound the smoothness the looks with that single sided arm !

Im hooked people, it rides so well, comfy etc and gets a second look just because they arent seen on the roads that much, feels like riding an Italian exotic !

Located near Lincoln UK, say hi if you ever get near Market Rasen or Matlock Bath.

Laters... 

• Member Contributer

Welcome Steve1. How lucky to score a well kept RC36.

Better prove you have it and post some nice photos.

Cheers. :fing02:

• Member Contributer

Welcome to the asylum Steve1 from The Land Of Interesting Weather.

Cheers man...

The only thing i had to do since getting the bike was to change the usual R/R, i have had CBR's before and know only too well the pitfalls of the original non finned R/R !

I didnt go down the mosfet or Tour Max route i have fitted a Yamaha R6/R1 unit that has lots of heat sink fins and is a direct plug in with no chopping or changing, pretty stable output at just under 14v idle or rev'd, i tend to ride daylight with side lights on so dont overwork the system anyways...AND i have just fitted a volt meter for a little more peace of mind lol so i can make a mad dash for home if things start to go pear shaped....

Cheers

Safe riding.

Does anyone suffer from a noise like fairing chatter on their bike when going slow and the front suspension compresses ?

I have double checked all fasteners etc and headlight security but still happens ?

Cheers  

• Member Contributer

Lots of possible answers.  One is the nuts and bolts holding the brake lines inside and to the front fender.  Lower fairings are a bit of a jigsaw puzzle too, and whoever clipped it together last could have left out clips.  Look for empty holes?

• Member Contributer

Nice bike looks good. Strange to say this but as a VJMC member before i bought my VFR in 1998 these are now classed as classic.

Cheap insurance & with the older bikes no MOT or road tax.

She just classes me as old but cant part Ex me for a younger model.

Have fun.

Cheers...

Went for a little spin out yesterday into the Lincolnshire Wolds and everything good with the new R1 r/r, showing a steady 14.1v with side lights, dropping to 13.8v with mains lit according to the voltmeter, gives me so much more confidence...

She even lived with an Aprillia rsv on the twisties as the rider seemed to be a staright line merchant lol

If i pushed a bit to hard into a corner then the front became loose, maybe fit some upgraded springs if i continue that, but perfectly good enough if rode conservatively.

Really enjoying my first experience of a vfr, that sound track ........

Figured out the noise...

It was the tank hitting the frame near the headstock, there are rubber cushioning spacers on each side of the frame where the tank sits but none near the headstock ?

I sliced an old bike grip into half lengthways and sandwiched between frame and said tank,,,dahdah easy fix for once but god it was annoying.....

The lower fairings where the grey strips where the frankly crap vfr stickers are are now gone, the grey strips are now carbon wrapped along with a pair of better red vfr logo's, i also plan to do the seat side panels in the carbon to match as feel it looks a hell of a lot classier, the silver vfr stickers have been removed ready. i may do the top fairing panels each side of the headlight to preserve the paint ?

I have removed the bar risers aswell, feels better when i drop it in to a corner....no noticeable strain on my wrists either.

Will update with a photo when finished

Cheers all 

• Member Contributer

Now we can see and say you have excellent taste in mc's. And, as was said earlier, it's the fastest color!

12 hours ago, MaxSwell said:

Now we can see and say you have excellent taste in mc's. And, as was said earlier, it's the fastest color!

Cheers man.....

Riding it feels like an old friend, like i have had it years !

Booking in soon for a full service just for more peace of mind as 65k on her now.

Think i will show her some corners later as weather is fine here for a change

Laters

• Member Contributer

While I personally like anything that looks like carbon to be actual carbon, that stripe looks good.  Just not a fan of fake carbon fiber.  Gonna stop the rear stripe before the turn signal bulge? 

Hi, yes it will follow the original lines of the grey background and terminate in a point just above the bulge.

It just tidies things up and follows the lines, it has a carbon tank guard.

Think that will do for the wrap, i am adding a smoke screen extender and a pair of lever guards and thats the lot !

Cheers.........

Finished the wrap now, looks well imo, lever guards are now fitted along with the small adjustable screen extension, changed the oil & filter and air filter, found the snorkel had come off the front of the airbox so fitted that back in, changed the rear plugs and my god people are not kidding about the fronts !!!!&*$£">@ me....there has got to be an easier way than having to drain the system and move the rad out the way surely !

Anyway, put a set of iridium's in so hopefully wont be touching those for a while.

Let the carbs sit overnight with a good dose of redex in them and some carb cleaner, put everything back together later next day and fired her up, gave it a handful and after about 20 secs the smoke cleared and she now picks up just off idle so much sweeter.

When the weather improves will put 20 odd miles in and see whats what ?

Cheers ....

• Member Contributer

I just noticed the red coverings of your master cylinders. What is the idea behind these?

• Member Contributer
40 minutes ago, MaxSwell said:

I just noticed the red coverings of your master cylinders. What is the idea behind these?

spacer.png

Hi, its just a nod to my late 80's ypvs, they are red Honda wrist bands lol, everyone has wrist sweat bands around their fluid reservoirs....didnt they ?

As a side note, finished the bike now along with the wrap etc i have fitted a db killer and a small box for w/proofs and such

I am also chuffed that my redex bath has worked !

Fine weather beware......vroooooooooooom

Archived