Front rim compatibility from previous generations

mobur

Has anyone tried seeing if FRONT rims from older models (I'm thinking 6th gen) are compatible with the 8th? I suspect the front axle diameter is the same but im wondering about spacers given the fork change, and maybe rotor mountings (ok might be getting hopefull here).

Cheers all!

2002+                     2014+

Outer Diameter:296mm-310
Inner Diameter:58mm-94mm
Bolt Hole Diameter:10.4mm-?
Bolt Hole Distance:37mm-?

the inner diameter is different will not work

• Member Contributer

There's more to it than that.  The critical measurements here are the axle diameter and the width of the hub.  The OD of the 6th and 8th gen discs is different, but there may be other OEM disks with the same OD and different ID which would work?

My info says that the 6th gen wheel has a 62mm ID and 296mm OD, btw; I don't know about the 8th gen, but VFR750F3 says it has 94mm x 310mm disks.

62mm x 310mm is the OEM size for the CBR900RRW-X (98-99), although the offset is 21.5mm.  The CBR1100XX has 62mm x 310mm as well, with an 18.5mm offset (also used on the X-11 and early CBR1300 Super Four, it appears).

But, these are different offsets than the 6th gen (which had 17mm), and with radial brakes you can't space them laterally, so really it comes down to the width of the 8th gen hub (it's usually not a great idea to shim the disks), so unless it's narrower than the 6th gen, you may be SOL anyway.

Ciao,

JZH

Archived