Cellphone Mount Needed

interceptor69

• Member Contributer

What type/brand of cellphone mount are you guys/girls using?  I have Heli Bars so would need to be able to attach to them.  

'scuse me but your full attention belongs entirely upon the road, not waiting for a booty call.  cellphones do not belong anywhere within a rider's view. it's another modern addiction you need to kick.

• Member Contributer

There are some mounts that go in the steering stem - just pry off the black cap.  Ram mounts seem to be popular.  IIRC there's a member on the board that makes a stem mount - maybe someone knows who that is.

• Member Contributer
3 hours ago, Cogswell said:

There are some mounts that go in the steering stem - just pry off the black cap.  Ram mounts seem to be popular.  IIRC there's a member on the board that makes a stem mount - maybe someone knows who that is.

Cogs recalls correctly, I purchased the steering stem RAM mount for my 7th gen from VFRD member Huntingguns five years ago, see photos below. Haven't seen him on the site for a while, but the concept is excellent--rock solid, and great line-of-sight when riding.

090408EF-F6E5-4960-85DC-F682D4AA92C9.jpeg

5A10D046-4959-4E1E-99CE-1C31CF364708.jpeg

41CAB17A-CB69-4A82-A351-4D744B633228.jpeg

17 hours ago, squirrelman said:

'scuse me but your full attention belongs entirely upon the road, not waiting for a booty call.  cellphones do not belong anywhere within a rider's view. it's another modern addiction you need to kick.

Ok Officer Curmudgeon, if you are fortunate enough to live in great riding areas I couldn't agree more. But I for one live in Chicago and have to navigate through a potential shit-storm of road debree and delays en route to anywhere. A heads up from my phone of a traffic jam or shredded tire could greatly impact my escape from the city/burbs.

• Member Contributer

Yes-actually I use Waze for this reason and would only need it for routing through shitty traffic or avoid accidents.  Here in Nashville we have some crazy drivers and one never knows which artery will be blocked.  Thanks for the advice.  That ball mount looks like the one that held my old Garmin GPs.  How would one find a cellphone case with that type of socket?

I have one of Huntingguns ram mounts on my VFR. It works great and doesn't spin around like the cheap stem mounts. For my iphone, I took an old belt clip holder and cut the clip off. Then I attached a round ram ball mount to the back of the phone holder. I've used it on my CRF250 while riding some pretty rough off road and never had a problem. I don't have a pic but will take one if you need it.

• Member Contributer

I'm using a Quadlock on my MT-10; they make lots of different style adapters including a steering stem mount.

https://www.quadlockcase.com.au/collections/shop-moto/products/motorcycle-fork-stem-mount?variant=19824031072369

The ease and security of mounting the phone are brilliant. 

• Member Contributer
10 hours ago, interceptor69 said:

Yes-actually I use Waze for this reason and would only need it for routing through shitty traffic or avoid accidents.  Here in Nashville we have some crazy drivers and one never knows which artery will be blocked.  Thanks for the advice.  That ball mount looks like the one that held my old Garmin GPs.  How would one find a cellphone case with that type of socket?

Once you have the RAM mounting ball your options are almost unlimited for a phone holder. Most spider holders--which do not need a special case--will make you worry your phone will go flying off in the first turn, but they are actually very solid. Just go online, you'll find many options. Here's a sample link:

https://www.rammount.com/consumer/device-mounts/phone-mounts

• Member Contributer

Thanks for all the suggestions.  I need to check out the ram mount system-sounds like what I'm looking for.  What secures the ball in the stem?  Friction?

I've also used RAM mounts (U-bolt base) from the gas tank bolts and put a ball just in front of the tank with a 6" extension.

https://www.rammount.com/part/RAM-B-231ZU (you just need some longer tank bolts - longer metric ones)

image.png.31615e9bc236c39cdf5785aa85970348.png

or

On my current adventure bikes I've gone with the X Mount system and it works surprisingly well. You can also mount it on the front brake reservoir bolts.

ram_mounts_ram_b_174_un10_lg_x_grip_moun

19 hours ago, superfunkomatic said:

I've also used RAM mounts (U-bolt base) from the gas tank bolts and put a ball just in front of the tank with a 6" extension.

https://www.rammount.com/part/RAM-B-231ZU (you just need some longer tank bolts - longer metric ones)

image.png.31615e9bc236c39cdf5785aa85970348.png

or

On my current adventure bikes I've gone with the X Mount system and it works surprisingly well. You can also mount it on the front brake reservoir bolts.

ram_mounts_ram_b_174_un10_lg_x_grip_moun

I also used the-U bolt base sands U-bolt at the gas tank bolts. On my 8th  gen I do not need an 6"extension but carry one in case I expand a tank bag. I've been using a Ram x-grip for 8 years with no problems.

• Member Contributer

Thanks for all the advice.  I just ordered this:  RAM® X-Grip® Large Phone Mount with Motorcycle Fork Stem Base.  Wasn't cheap but looks well made so look fwd to getting in and mounting it.

• Member Contributer
6 hours ago, interceptor69 said:

Thanks for all the advice.  I just ordered this:  RAM® X-Grip® Large Phone Mount with Motorcycle Fork Stem Base.  Wasn't cheap but looks well made so look fwd to getting in and mounting it.

Good news, I think you will happy with it. It's always a compromise to get a good line-of-sight without blocking the instruments, getting horrible sun glare, interfering with steering lock and tank bag, out of the wind blast, etc.

For bikes with tube handlebars there are replacement clamp bolts with RAM balls on top--what I use on my Duc, works great. Post a photo!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Got the mount but not sure if it's gonna work.  The rubber expansion plug drops all the way into the hole when inserting the smaller diameter end 1st and won't insert at all w/ the larger diameter end.  Can't see the Youtube video of the install-not sure what's wrong on that end.  Instructions say to insert the plug then measure 1/8" above the opening but the plug is flush with the stem.  Did they give me the wrong part?  Or am I not understanding the instructions?  Any help would be appreciated.

• Member Contributer

Finally figured it out-found a YT vid of a guy who mounted one on his R6.  It isn't the most stable mount-spins like crazy when touched so may need to further tighten the screw but afraid to strip it.  All-in-all it's a nice mount but the glare can be difficult in full sun.  When using Waze have you guys used dark mode or light?  I'm using dark mode for the battery savings but I believe I could see better w/ light mode.  Also I discovered my speedo is about 4 mph optimistic. 

Archived