Long tim Lurker, 1st Time Buyer. Just Bought a Gen 5,

iObject

I've been on the forums for a couple few months gathering intel on maintenance issues, and nuances of the Gen 5.

Patiently waiting and watching the classifieds in SoCal until a 17K mile '98 popped up down outside of San Diego.

On test ride, the flapper valve scraping noise nearly scared me out of the sale but I figured out what it was.

Got the bike back to shop and there are a couple of issues.... Exhaust seems too rich and chain needs replacing (it dances and rattles when on the center stand in gear).

Besides that, it needs valves checked, all fluids replaced and I am going to give it the VFRNess.

Chain & sprockets for now so I can ride it some this season.

And the big tear down this winter, assuming we have one this year.

• Member Contributer

Welcome from down South, way down South!

Congrats with the purchase, hope it brings you many miles of enjoyable riding.

Better post a picture of it.

Cheers.:beer:

Congrats and welcome to the madness! You’re in the right place and when it’s time for tech questions and assistance there’s some folks in here that know these things inside & out. 

Good luck! 

Here is the bike with panels hastily reattached. Best I can supply on short notice.  Snapped the chain and pulled sprockets tonight. Frightening amount of crud built up around chain, a good dozen links were frozen, explains why the chain was rattling. Should have new drive installed by end of the week so I can get her on the road. 

glad to be aboard. 

0D08F045-20CE-4908-9396-C27C19ED76A4.jpeg

• Member Contributer

Nice looking bike. Give it a good going over, shout it new oil and filter, air filter, coolant, plugs, brake pads if needed and Dont Forget.........all new brake and clutch fluid. Check your charging system and connections.

Love your number plate location! Is that so you'll never forget it! 😆 

A healthy 5gen is a GREAT bike, enjoy:wheel:

@Grum that Is roughly the plan. Bike is a looker but mechanically seems a bit neglected so needs a good once over. Fluids, plugs & filters. Has a new rectifier so hopefully electrical will hold until I can get VFRNess in next winter. 

• Member Contributer

Congrats and welcome! I have the same 2 bro's can on my 5th gen.

With only 17k miles on the clock I would skip the valve checks unless you think something is wrong. These bikes go well past that and never need a valve adjustment. 

• Member Contributer

Welcome to the asylum iObject from The Land Of Interestion Weather. You obviously have great taste in mc's. Best generation in the fastest color.

Take care and safe riding.

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone. @slowbird I’ll keep that in mind about the valves. The guy I bought it off of said to just hold off until 30k. I had just checked clearances on my RC and 6 of 8 were out.  Exhaust were out by a fair amount at 16k. I presumed VFR would be same… I’ll cross that bridge when I come to it. First things first, get it tuned up and back on the road. 

Archived