5th gen needs new reg/rectifier.

Fritzer

• Member Contributer

How many miles on your stator?  It's definitely had it. Costom  Rewind in Alabama  has done stators for a number of members,  including mine.  I'm told the service is now $140 plus shipping. I found that a USPS priority mail box was just large enough.  You can request any type of connector you wish on the wire, no connector or additional wire length as you wish. 

One thing I found that makes removal / replacement easier is to get two or 3 long (3"or so) bolts that will thread in to the engine case in place of the OEM bolts. I can't recall if they're M5 or M6. Prep them by cutting the heads off and chamfer the ends with a file.  When pulling it off or replacing, they will keep the cover centered - the magnets are strong and you'll have to fight that to keep it centered - the headless bolts make that a snap. Once the cover is seated again just back the guide bolts out.  Don't forget the dowels - there are 2. They can make it a pain - you don't want to forget them on reassembly.  If you pry on it for removal,  do so gently and work your way around the entire cover so it does not bind on the dowels. 

Also,  when removing the bolts from the stator itself, a 2nd set of hands is helpful to hold it while breaking the bolts loose.

Best with it.

• Member Contributer

Thanks Cogs.  My '99 has 61,000 miles on her and I think the stator is original equipment.  I've been nursing the charging system for some time.   Love the guide bolt idea, thanks.

• Member Contributer

No time like the present when dealing with charging problems.  I've seen worse in here before but looks don't mean much.

IMG_6346.JPG

• Member Contributer

A close look at the wiring of the two poles at 3 o'clock position, insulation looks bad. But yes, have also seen a lot worse.

Another tip - When fitting the new cover gasket, mount it on the engine side first. Saves gasket damage if the cover slips out of your hand with the strong magnetic force!

• 4 months later...
  • Member Contributer
On 6/28/2021 at 3:14 PM, Fritzer said:

Thanks Cogs.  My '99 has 61,000 miles on her and I think the stator is original equipment.  I've been nursing the charging system for some time.   Love the guide bolt idea, thanks.

Just noticing your FJ pic. I had three of them. Lovely bikes. 

• Member Contributer
On 6/28/2021 at 1:14 PM, Cogswell said:

Also,  when removing the bolts from the stator itself, a 2nd set of hands is helpful to hold it while breaking the bolts loose.

Just did mine......I was fighting getting the bolts loose, couldn't figure why no wrench fit well........and then I went into the house and grabbed my glasses for a closer look........oooooohhhhh! Forgot they are torx!  Duh! 

Just did the replacement with a Custom Rewind job. I got extra long leads so I could install the Fuwakawa connector direct to the FH020AA R/R. Output seemed OK on a quick check ride, but I want to get some miles on it, and with the weather,  probably won't happen until spring.

23 minutes ago, mello dude said:

.......I was fighting getting the bolts loose, couldn't figure why no wrench fit well........and then I went into the house and grabbed my glasses for a closer look........oooooohhhhh!

just like me, weak eyes.😆

Archived