5G vs 6G water pump

Cogswell

Question

• Member Contributer

Does anyone know if a 6G water pump will fit a 5G motor?

The part numbers are different . . .

5G = 19200-MBG-000

6G = 19200-MCW-000

Asking b/c the 5G pump is NLA from Honda.  Is the difference minor / cosmetic / or otherwise insignificant to fit and function or truly material?

8 answers to this question

I'm curious about this as well.  I've "heard" around the forums that they are compatible, but haven't heard anyone say "yes, I put a 6th gen water pump on a 5th gen". 

It looks like the drawing of the 5th gen water pump in the parts fiche was reused for the 6th gen.  What's strange is the cover gasket it different (#8 in diagram):

5th - 19226-ML7-000

6th - 19226-MCP-900

However, I can't tell the difference between the pictures of them on partzilla.  The ML7 gasket is used on a bunch of older Hondas (all VFRs until 2002, magna, cbr600f, cbr900), and the MCP part is used only on 6th and 8th gen VFRs.

My guess is that Honda made a minor change to the impeller, so the housing needed to be changed slightly (larger maybe?).  They did do quite a few tweaks on the 6th gen to alleviate the cooling issue, wouldn't surprise me if they tweaked the water pump as well.

• Member Contributer

I'm 99% sure I made the swap, perhaps more than once. I think the first time I went from my 5 Gen to my 6 Gen after the 6 Gen blew out it's WP at the track. Here are some pics of the two. Don't ask me which one is which because I forgot to document that. So if you can't tell, I don't think your bike will either. 😉 

IMG_3985.JPG

IMG_3986.JPG

IMG_3987.JPG

• Member Contributer
3 hours ago, comradeQuestion said:

The housing of the one on the left does look ever so slightly larger, though it could be the angle of the camera.  Thanks Duc, I think that's about as definitive as I could have hoped for.

It fit, so had to be looks. 🙂

• Member Contributer

It could be down to something as minor as a different bearing or seal material, thicker cover O-ring etc. I am surprised though that the NLA 5th gen number doesn't supersede to the 6th gen number. Not sure about Honda, but Yamaha do this if it fits.

• Member Contributer

I'm pretty sure I'm running my Gen 6 pump on my Gen 5 motor.

Had a water leak some time ago and I thought it was from the pump seal so swapped them over.

Wasn't the pump and I'm sure I never swapped them back.

• Member Contributer
On 5/31/2021 at 12:30 AM, Dangeruss said:

It could be down to something as minor as a different bearing or seal material, thicker cover O-ring etc. I am surprised though that the NLA 5th gen number doesn't supersede to the 6th gen number. Not sure about Honda, but Yamaha do this if it fits.

Yes, Honda does that, too; the "MV9" visible on the outer housings in the photos above refers to the 1992 CBR600F...

Ciao,

JZH

Archived