2014 VFR1200FD ‘knocking’ when coming down from high speed

Peggle

Hi all,

Had a look around and can’t seem to see if this is something common with VFR1200’s. 

As I’ve just bought the bike, and it’s my first ‘big bike’, I have no reference points or experience. 

Long story short, the bike is amazing, however I’ve noticed if I give it a lot of throttle (up towards 8k) and then begin to slow down, the bike appears to knock and sounds generally unhappy. This then clears and goes away after a few seconds. I’m almost certain the noise is coming from the front of the bike. If I didn’t know any better I’d describe it as sounding like hard plastic been crumpled.

The noise has on one occasion continued even once the bike is stopped with clutch engaged, but quickly subsided. 

Its difficult to explain the noise due to helmet etc, but I’d describe it as a quite loud knocking.

Really just looking to hear is this is normal for these bikes. Is it just the radiator fans kicking in and because of the helmet and ambient noise it sounds weird??

cheers

• Member Contributer

Hi Peggle. Welcome to the forum.

I don't have the 1200 but if you've had the noise while the bike is stopped then it must be engine related.

Doubt its anything to do with cooling fans, they generally wouldn't be operating while riding, nor would they ever create a noise only while decelerating, and they would only switch on with the engine above 100degC.(thinking of the 800 here).

Is the engine oil level correct and the correct type/viscosity?

If the noise is consistent perhaps take it to your nearest Honda dealership for assessment. Did you buy the bike from a dealership? Could be a warranty issue.

Good luck.

3 hours ago, Grum said:

Hi Peggle. Welcome to the forum.

I don't have the 1200 but if you've had the noise while the bike is stopped then it must be engine related.

Doubt its anything to do with cooling fans, they generally wouldn't be operating while riding, nor would they ever create a noise only while decelerating, and they would only switch on with the engine above 100degC.(thinking of the 800 here).

Is the engine oil level correct and the correct type/viscosity?

If the noise is consistent perhaps take it to your nearest Honda dealership for assessment. Did you buy the bike from a dealership? Could be a warranty issue.

Good luck.

Hi Grum,

Thanks for the reply.

I went out this morning and couldn't seem to replicate the issue, until I got home and noticed a quiet, but similar sound.

Turns out, as far as I can tell, there is some plastic shielding under the radiator that looks to clip together on both sides. That had come loose, so both sides were split from one another.

My guess is at high speed air pressure was pushing them further apart, and the noise was likely the two halves rubbing/banging together until they returned to a 'normal' position.

I'll keep the thread updated if I have any more issues with it!

I may not have a lot to contribute as i've only owned my 2010 for a couple months now. That being said at low RPMs while riding or sometimes even idle i can hear my engine kind of make a similar knocking sound. Not like really heavy knocking but just kinda almost a ticking but a bit heavier than that? My bike only has 8000 miles and no symptoms of any issues otherwise so I just assumed it doesn't like riding at low RPMs and try to remember to avoid that.

Archived