6th Gen 2007 California model (if that matters) Couple problems after a throttle body synch.

• Member Contributer

The throttle bodies are well balanced now but now when in 1st gear going slow and opening the throttle just enough to maintain speed I am having surging and also just before the vtec engages there is a slight hesitation.  No mods with the PAIR or airbox. Does not have a power commander. FI light is not on or blinking.  I am thinking a previous owner may have adjusted the No. 4 starter valve. Which you are not suppose to do that. Would anyone know to reset the No. 4 starter valve to the factory setting? How many inches of mercury (vacuum) should the No. 4 starter valve be pulling? The gauges I used read cm hg. I have them balanced to the No. 4 starter valve as per the manual states. The cm hg reads just under 26 on the gauge. Is that too much? Too little? 

On a positive note, my fuel mileage is better now.

Appreciate any help.

Jeffrey

• Member Contributer

The surging  / hesitation issue is not uncommon on gen 6s. Whether yours is related to the starter valve synch I don't know.  I've never synched mine but did have the surging / stumbling  issue.  What really helped mine was to have the injectors bench cleaned - flow and spray patterns all  consistent as a result. Rapid Bike is the cherry on top - I would say my 6th gen runs as smoothly as my 4th gen did - very linear, no surging or hesitation at all.  

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, Cogswell said:

The surging  / hesitation issue is not uncommon on gen 6s. Whether yours is related to the starter valve synch I don't know.  I've never synched mine but did have the surging / stumbling  issue.  What really helped mine was to have the injectors bench cleaned - flow and spray patterns all  consistent as a result. Rapid Bike is the cherry on top - I would say my 6th gen runs as smoothly as my 4th gen did - very linear, no surging or hesitation at all.  

Thank you. I will keep this info handy.

I really wish I could find some info/procedures on how the throttle bodies were set up on the assembly line. 

My 03 was the same way. I installed a PCIII and it was perfect. My 07 came with PCV and AutoTune. It still has a slight stumble on throttle pickup. Tried to sync but never got it quite right and have always suspected the vacuum operated cruise control. It is strange how some 6th gens have it bad and others not at all. I did read somewhere about loose clamps on the boots from the factory.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Mine is a 2002 California modal, that was imported to the UK still in it's crate and put on the road in 2005.  I brought it will 12,500 mile on the clock. The 1st thing I did was remove and block the PAIR system. I would say that make the biggest difference to the slow running. Also now can hardly tell whether the VTEC has kicked in. All the other modes were to loose weight, which is now at 30lb removed.

Archived