Radiator guard?

Sunde

Hi gents, my rad is doing pretty good so far, 10.000 kilometers isn't much tho, and i'd like to keep it looking good.

have any of you fittede radiator guards? Is it a waste dollars or a must do you think?
 If you have one fittede i'd really like to see pics :))
Thanks in advance! 

• Sunde changed the title to Radiator guard?
  • Member Contributer

Hi Sunde.

I fitted a Beowolf rad guard to my 1200 shortly after I bought her 6 years ago and I haven't even thought about it since. It sits there, looking great and must be doing its job so I happily recommend it.

VFR1200 Manual (10 onwards) Archives | Beowulf Performance Products (beowulfuk.com)

360889630_IMAG12891.jpg

449518442_IMAG12921.jpg

• Member Contributer

I put a RG radiator guard on my 8G when it was new, 1 mile,  and I thought it was a no brainer...

That 7G radiator looks more prone to rocks than the 8G's radiator...?

20190314_215630.jpg

• Member Contributer

Yeah, it's worth it - cut my three day trip short, but luckily I made it home 500+ miles on 2 eggs in the radiator. Also repaired it myself, as I work at a welding shop. If not it would have been $1200 towing, and $800 for a new radiator.....but let me tell you, the memories are priceless!

Or you can spend less than $100 and enjoy your whole trip!

Crap.jpg

Double Crap.jpg

• Member Contributer

Thanks again for documenting with pictures Brian 😂 every time I view that, it brings me right back to that moment....😬

Welp if your guys are trying to scare me into buying one, it worked!
a rad guard is ordered d: the beowulf one looks dope, even tho i'll have to pay import taxes etc. now that you guys have decided to brexit us (i forgive you however)
 I am going on a rather long trip next friday, my brain will no doubt in vivid detail remember those picture you'v shared
That front wheel/caliper covered in fluid sure is lovely... 😱

• Member Contributer

Yep, that was the end of my trip, luckily some of the other guys took my hotel room, so I didn't get stuck with that either.

Wasn't trying to scare you, just inform you...that rock was probably created before people were even single celled organisms. Surely the two most exciting parts of it's 120+ million year existence, were being expelled from a volcano, and going through my radiator - I admire the sheer patience.

I get upset if I can't ride for a month...

Enjoy your trip!

• Member Contributer

I just watched the 44teeth review of the S1000R and around 7 minutes in, they lost a rider from the group due to a radiator puncture from a rock....

• Member Contributer

Fairly common malady for front mount rads without protectors. Most bikes used to have them as standard, until the weight crowd & bean counters decided to save a few oz's/cents ☹️

Archived