Replacement LCD?

whomhead

Hey all. I have a Y2K that appears to have a dead LCD. Just had the dash out of the bike. There is 12 volts at the connector, and I could not find any damage on the traces. Confirmed continuity from the connector to the screw labeled "BATT" on the LCD board. 

Now what? Are there replacement LCDs available? 

• Member Contributer

Just to be clear.

Have you checked with your meter in buzzer or lowest ohms range that you have continuity of ALL the 6 mounting screws at the back of the panel for the LCD back to the entry point on either the Gray or Blue main connectors?

Have you confirmed that each mounting screw is clean and making good contact with the PCB?

Have you confirmed you have 12v coming in from the Gray main connector on both of the Brown/Blue wires and verified this voltage at one of the LCD mounting screws?

Have you confirmed that the Green/Black wire on both main plugs is properly Grounded with continuity back to the battery Negative terminal?

Have you confirmed that you have continuity of the Green/Black wire to one of the LCD mounting screws?

Have you removed the LCD and had a close inspection of its own PCB, look for any cracked, dry, bad solder joints on the board.

Good luck.

I did not check that thoroughly, no. 

I was pretty surprised at the condition of things. I expected to see corroded traces and screws. Everything was very clean. I guess, to be honest, I'm kinda disappointed that it was that clean. I guess a broken trace at this point would be preferred to what appears to be a dead LCD. 

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, whomhead said:

I did not check that thoroughly, no. 

I was pretty surprised at the condition of things. I expected to see corroded traces and screws. Everything was very clean. I guess, to be honest, I'm kinda disappointed that it was that clean. I guess a broken trace at this point would be preferred to what appears to be a dead LCD. 

Well, you can either do some proper checking or start buying lots of spares!

Suggest strongly you at least check everything mentioned.....maybe even twice, before tracking down a replacement LCD.

Seriously, most of the LCD issues are caused by what has been suggested, however, you might be unlucky and have and internal component failure within the LCD, and as far as I'm aware, there is no circuit diagram of the full internals of the LCD.

Good luck.

Ya know, before I buttoned everything back up I thought I should put this post up, because I thought a kind soul like you would come along with these troubleshooting steps. 

Maybe a pinned post with these steps is in order? 

Archived