FI stays on, no blinks, memory can't be deleted

Hey,

I have an issue with my '98 VFR800. The FI light came up on a rainy trip while I was riding. When I arrived home I tried to read out the failure codes as the manual shows, but there are no blinks at all. After that I tried to delete the memory, doesn't work either. Since then I checked all the connectors an cables and didn't find anything. The bike seems to be in perfect condition, voltage / charging is OK, no power loss or any other problem I'd be aware of.

Another thing is that next to the service check connector there's another white 2-pole connector (see picture below). Can you please tell me what is that white connector for?

Thank you for your help!

IMG_20210523_201234.jpg

• Member Contributer

Are you checking for codes with the side stand down?

Is your Fi light still fully On or has that disappeared?

While riding if the ECM picks up a fault, the light will be fully On. When you stop the bike and place the Sidestand down, ignition to on then the fault code should flash.

To confirm your ECM diagnostic function. Disconnect say the MAP sensor or the IAT sensor start your bike make sure the Fi light flashes the correct code for the disconnected sensor.

As to the other plug I can't find any reference to it in the Service Manual. I wonder if it is some form of accessory power. Try measuring voltage at this plug with ignition to on.

• Member Contributer

I'd also check the ground terminal on the right side, just for fun in case a sensor isn't seeing good ground... then there's the spider up front left taped into the harness..

Not sure what that connector is, perhaps identifying the wire colours may help....

• Member Contributer

Agree with raYzerman. A faulty ground block can cause the Fi light to randomly come on.

Check the ground block located in the wire harness, LEFT (not right) side above your chain guard.

image3.JPG

Hey guys, thank you very much for the answers, I finally found the source of the failure.

@Grum Yes the FI was all the time ON, I tried to read the code with the side stand down but it didnt't work. I even disconnected the MAP Sensor as you suggested but still no blinks. Regarding the other connector you were right, I measured >13V at idle, so yes it could be used as a plug for a GPS or other devices.

@raYzerman I checked to ground both sides and they are fine.

After all I found a loose blue connector under the tank (I believe it belongs to the guel pump?), I disconnected then connected it again, turned the ignition OFF -> ON and and the FI turned off. Took me a good two day to find it but finally I got it. I have no idea how it could come loose, but it happened.

What really stange is that I still cannot confirm the ECU dignostic function. I disconnected the MAP sensor again to check if the FI blinks now or not, and nothing happened. I will ask somebody next time when I go to the service.

InkedIMG_20210525_195123_LI.jpg

• Member Contributer
17 hours ago, sajtipajti said:

After all I found a loose blue connector under the tank (I believe it belongs to the fuel pump?), I disconnected then connected it again, turned the ignition OFF -> ON and and the FI turned off. Took me a good two day to find it but finally I got it. I have no idea how it could come loose, but it happened.

What really stange is that I still cannot confirm the ECU dignostic function. I disconnected the MAP sensor again to check if the FI blinks now or not, and nothing happened. I will ask somebody next time when I go to the service.

This is very strange. I strongly feel you haven't found the fault!

1. If there was an issue with the fuel pump your bike would not run and this wouldn't bring on your Fi Light.

2. The only two wire plugs under your tank is the Fuel Pump (Brown Connector)which should have a Green and a Brown wire. The other having the Blue plug in your photo is the Fuel Sender Unit, this should have a Green/Black wire and a Gray/ Black wire.

3. The 2p Blue connector Fuel Sender Unit should have NO effect on the ECM or Fi Light.

4. Disconnecting the MAP sensor and running the engine should definitely set a MAP sensor fault flashing code with the Sidestand down.

So I'm more suspicious you still have a Ground issue which you may have disturbed while checking them.

Seeing you are also having issues with the Service Check Connector. Make sure its Green ground wire has continuity back to the battery Negative terminal. Make sure the Brown wire is not shorted to frame.

I would also remove Both ECM plugs and check for any corrosion and perhaps a spray of electrical lubricant like CRC 2-26 or similar applied to all the ECM pins and sockets.

Archived