yeesh cage drivers go fast these days

So I returned to riding after a long hiatus.  I feel like I'm one with my VFR now, have about 1500 miles of saddle time on her since i purchased last november.   One thing that I notice is how obscenely fast people in random non sport vehicles actually travel.

So today,  I'm coming back from a short trip to the store (If what i'm getting fits in my bag on the pillion I'm not taking a car)  and perhaps I tool along a little faster on my VFR then I would otherwise but I like to think I'm a pretty safe rider,   I'm going perhaps a little over the speed limit  (cough 80 in a 65).  and I have a guy in a base model camry blow by with a coffee can civic behind him.  So I'm a curious fellow,  just how fast are they going?  Well only one way to find out...

So I nail it and they are doing 110, it's not like they are sports cars.   Now there weren't many cars on the road, or anything it was a straightish section of interstate and after my curiosity was satisfied I spun back down.  But jeebus  back when I rode all the time (oh wait I ride every day now)  I don't recall generic cars flying along at triple digits like that.   Thing is this is not isolated. I see it all the time around here.

• Member Contributer

I must say that since covid, I spot more and more cagers riding like 'ffing maniacs...

Jumping red lights or over/undertaking at 180kmh, you name it, I see it...

Apping on your mobile that much you donot spot the matrix signs that limit the speed to 50 and hit the last car in the slow moving traffic jam at 130kmh killing the driver?

You get an 8 month prison sentence

Under the influence of speed and weed "feeling the need to speed"(his words), a guy does 237kmh and hits a car. Kills the driver, 2 kids permanently handicapped, wife temporaily in a wheelchair?

Gets send down for 3 years, 4 upon appeal by the procecutor...

• Member Contributer

Yup - on the interstate I've seen them pass on the right and  tailgate at those speeds and honk or give the finger if they can't go as fast as they want.  They seem to think that every other vehicle must get over so they can go triple digit speeds.  It was pointed out to me that some got used to it with the virus and little traffic about,  there seem to be  fewer LEOs around and there are a lot of people that became frustrated and angry with being locked down.  I don't know how much of those factors play in to things,  but there are dangerous drivers out there for sure. 

• Member Contributer

Yeah, the cops have really backed off on traffic enforcement, especially in cities like Portland... where there is more than Covid to consider (not to open that political can of worms - you can find enough ugly behavior on all sides of that fight to justify whatever opinion appeals to you).

I generally don't commute on the bike (I often need to carry gear and associating my leisure activity with work just spoils it for me) so I don't ride much on major highways. Still, I've noticed it when driving the cage. I've got a longstanding tendency to set the cruise control at about 10 mph over. It seems to be the consistent limit where cops won't bother to pull you over. Lately, I'm getting passed like crazy.

I drove past an Audi the other day that had decided to shorten their following distance to about 3 feet less than the Audi standard... i.e. 2 feet deep into the SUV they were following. Dead center too, no attempt to swerve. Looked like it had spoiled everyone's weekend, but it didn't appear that anyone was badly hurt. 

• Member Contributer

The Bendix collision mitigation systems in commercial vehicles have a display that shows the speed of the vehicles in front of the truck. Also, it picks up the speeds of those passing by. I routinely saw vehicles in excess of 100mph, when I used to drive for a living. The most astounding was a cattle truck went by me running 109mph. I made a life change and now live in the Florida panhandle. I swear, the vast majority of people in this area are flat-nuts. I’ve never seen such recklessness and lawlessness. Los Angeles ain’t got shit on this place. There’s no such thing as a speed limit or vehicle requirements, here.

6 hours ago, ducnut said:

The Bendix collision mitigation systems in commercial vehicles have a display that shows the speed of the vehicles in front of the truck. Also, it picks up the speeds of those passing by. I routinely saw vehicles in excess of 100mph, when I used to drive for a living. The most astounding was a cattle truck went by me running 109mph. I made a life change and now live in the Florida panhandle. I swear, the vast majority of people in this area are flat-nuts. I’ve never seen such recklessness and lawlessness. Los Angeles ain’t got shit on this place. There’s no such thing as a speed limit or vehicle requirements, here.

Yer northerners are menace in Florida. Hate to see your life change affecting my lifestyle. I see more and more license plates from German obedience states - that worries me a lot. Became Florida Man or leave...

Anyhow, speed, I was traveling through rural Georgia some time ago and Behold wasn’t able to make speed limit on those winding, hilly, narrow roads in my pickup. Terrifying experience while sitting that high 😉

On subject of pickup trucks, I note  lots of pickup drivers want to play with motorcycle. Can’t figure out what it is, why would they bother to interact...

On 5/21/2021 at 12:11 AM, vikingGoalie said:

So I returned to riding after a long hiatus.  I feel like I'm one with my VFR now, have about 1500 miles of saddle time on her since i purchased last november.   One thing that I notice is how obscenely fast people in random non sport vehicles actually travel.

So today,  I'm coming back from a short trip to the store (If what i'm getting fits in my bag on the pillion I'm not taking a car)  and perhaps I tool along a little faster on my VFR then I would otherwise but I like to think I'm a pretty safe rider,   I'm going perhaps a little over the speed limit  (cough 80 in a 65).  and I have a guy in a base model camry blow by with a coffee can civic behind him.  So I'm a curious fellow,  just how fast are they going?  Well only one way to find out...

So I nail it and they are doing 110, it's not like they are sports cars.   Now there weren't many cars on the road, or anything it was a straightish section of interstate and after my curiosity was satisfied I spun back down.  But jeebus  back when I rode all the time (oh wait I ride every day now)  I don't recall generic cars flying along at triple digits like that.   Thing is this is not isolated. I see it all the time around here.

Well, today’s Camry is your yesterday’s sport car. Bought one for my daughter and enjoy talking it for a spin from time to time. She just got leather kit for graduation gift, berry, berry nice.

20210505-150043.jpg

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, Magneto said:

Yer northerners are menace in Florida. Hate to see your life change affecting my lifestyle. I see more and more license plates from German obedience states - that worries me a lot. Became Florida Man or leave...

German obedience states? 

Is that the opposite of prejudiced bigotry states? :tongue:

I am euro trash  keen to learn something new, so help me out here.   

43 minutes ago, Dutchy said:

German obedience states? 

Is that the opposite of prejudiced bigotry states? :tongue:

I am euro trash  keen to learn something new, so help me out here.   

Noted 😆 but taking no bait. 

But wait, have you watched Netherlanders throwing food across canals to the peeps cut of by the authorities? Very moving. Didn’t know you have freedom bone in you 😉

This is us, Floridians, being prejudiced last November:

20210522-080939.jpg

• Member Contributer

"I love the smell of 2-stroke in the morning.

It smells like...... 

victory!!"

(Visited the DDR twice late 80's. Didnot sniff much victory there at that time)

• Member Contributer

Camry SE's no slouch! Actual top-speed of 215kph !!!

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/22/2021 at 4:58 AM, Magneto said:

Well, today’s Camry is your yesterday’s sport car. Bought one for my daughter and enjoy talking it for a spin from time to time. She just got leather kit for graduation gift, berry, berry nice.

20210505-150043.jpg

the new camry's are pretty nice.

this was a much older camry that looked like it was about to break apart ala 6 million dollar man style...

Archived