The 8G with the VFRD Headers and Tune... Madly in Love! The world will need more 8G headers! Just sayin' ;)

flya750

• Member Contributer

Hey flya750. Thanks for the grand tour of your beautiful home area, assume its your home town?

Bike sounds awesome, but am I hearing some form of transmission whine, most noticeable on decel or coasting? Just doesn't sound normal to me, perhaps its the camera mic, or where its positioned, or my ageing ears! You haven't done a 5gen gear driven cam mod by any chance....?

Seems to be fairly noticeable from around 8:10 mins in. Just wondering!

• Member Contributer

Sounded like wind whistle to me…

Makes me want to skip my other projects and accelerate installing my headers, thanks for posting!

• Member Contributer
On 5/14/2021 at 8:52 PM, Grum said:

Hey flya750. Thanks for the grand tour of your beautiful home area, assume its your home town?

Bike sounds awesome, but am I hearing some form of transmission whine, most noticeable on decel or coasting? Just doesn't sound normal to me, perhaps its the camera mic, or where its positioned, or my ageing ears! You haven't done a 5gen gear driven cam mod by any chance....?

Seems to be fairly noticeable from around 8:10 mins in. Just wondering!

Are you sure you're not talking about the chain whine? Sometimes, when in two valve mode, the engine is so quiet, you hear more chain and sprocket noise/whine. (@ the 8:10 mark, I'm in two valve mode doing about 80 mph... so, to me, it just sounds like the chain/sprocket noise) There is also a vibration noise at certain RPM's which is the rear trunk latch still vibrating despite my little electrical tape mod to quiet it. My tape mod made a big difference, but there is still some vibration from the trunk latch I need to sort out.

The mic is positioned inside the tail section, just in front of the rear tail light. It hears everything, even when a rock kicks up and hits the under fender. I'm using a Zoom H1N audio recorder.

• Member Contributer
12 minutes ago, flya750 said:

Are you sure you're not talking about the chain whine? Sometimes, when in two valve mode, the engine is so quiet, you hear more chain and sprocket noise/whine.

You might be right, given where the camera is mounted it could well be just the chain/sprocket whine as its definitely directly related to the speed your going at. Just thought there might be something a little sinister going on with the transmission, glad it appears there isn't.

Nice exhaust sound and very well performing 8gen.

Cheers.:fing02:

• Member Contributer
5 minutes ago, Grum said:

You might be right, given where the camera is mounted it could well be just the chain/sprocket whine as its definitely directly related to the speed your going at. Just thought there might be something a little sinister going on with the transmission, glad it appears there isn't.

Nice exhaust sound and very well performing 8gen.

Cheers.:fing02:

Thanks! Not sure if you watched the very end of the video, but I pass a few cars and I could have never passed with so much confidence before the VFR Headers and Attack Performance Tune. Gas mileage continues to suck though... LOL! No worries for me...

• Member Contributer
17 minutes ago, flya750 said:

Thanks! Not sure if you watched the very end of the video, but I pass a few cars and I could have never passed with so much confidence before the VFR Headers and Attack Performance Tune. Gas mileage continues to suck though... LOL! No worries for me...

Sure did. "Faster than a speeding bullet".:wheel:

Cheers.

• Member Contributer
On 5/16/2021 at 2:28 PM, flya750 said:

Are you sure you're not talking about the chain whine? Sometimes, when in two valve mode, the engine is so quiet, you hear more chain and sprocket noise/whine. (@ the 8:10 mark, I'm in two valve mode doing about 80 mph... so, to me, it just sounds like the chain/sprocket noise)

Might pay to check the chain tension, you may have it too tight. Needs to be per spec or slightly loose, but never tighter. Worth a check.

• Member Contributer
On 5/17/2021 at 4:44 PM, Grum said:

Might pay to check the chain tension, you may have it too tight. Needs to be per spec or slightly loose, but never tighter. Worth a check.

I looked at the chain and I had it about spec? Maybe a tad tight? I loosened it a bit and will see what audio I pick up? 

• Member Contributer
On 5/17/2021 at 4:44 PM, Grum said:

Well, I loosened my chain a bit and the whine is still there. No 5G gear driven cam kit install, but I did add a radiator to each side of my 8G to help with my cornering.. (LMAO! Sorry, I couldn't resist.) 

My audio recorder is a high a quality recorder, I'm sure it picks up more than the average action camera picks up? The whine is real....sounds like sprocket/chain action to me?

Have a real close look at each chain link, especially the 'master' link.  I had issues with a badly worn master link pin and the corresponding roller it inserted through. Very flattened & worn out O ring = lack of lube = big wear = weird chain/sprocket sounds and chain tensioning was impossible. Too tight at one spot, too loose at another. Was an easy fix - new chain.

Archived