Sliders

Norva

Hi, today I just bought sliders for my VFR 2002. I already knew about cutting side fairings, but maybe anyone has a picture of where directly I should cut them? And what best option - modification for a coolant tank? Thanks

• 2 months later...
  • Member Contributer

After my bike was knocked over in a car park, the arm holding the slider was bent to the point that it had nearly gone through the fairing …the bolts had stretched which was better than having them pull out and strip the thread as the bolts replace the original subframe fixing bolts 

I got a set of DSG sliders from THURN motorsport from Gerhard in Germany and they’ve been tested in the same situation and they didn’t move, not cheap but worth it …. they’re also no cut, the bracket slots through the groove in the panel

CF71A3B8-7C96-473A-89FA-04A963D94D7C.jpeg

• Like 1

• Member Contributer

I had side hard bags on my bike when it got hit and knocked over in my parking lot. Thankfully the Givi hard bags took the brunt of the damage.

I'd say the only downside was that it puts most of the weight on the front signal area. 

• Sad 2

• Member Contributer

Norva

I fitted the R&G sliders which require you to cut the fairings but does come with a replacement coolant bottle that is shaped around the steel rod.

I am not sure how your sliders are mounted but if they come with a new replacement rod that they screw onto then the easiest way of finding where to cut the fairings is to take the fairings off. Remove the OE rod from the frame/engine. Put one fairing back on, put a blob of grease on the end of the rod and push this rod through the side with the fairing that is still off the bike. Once the rod hits the fairing it will leave a grease mark where you can then use a Drexel to open it out. Obviously do the same for the other side.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Marooncobra said:

I fitted the R&G sliders which require you to cut the fairings but does come with a replacement coolant bottle that is shaped around the steel rod.

I installed the R&G sliders on my 6th gen, too.  One bonus of the sliders is if and when you drop your VFR, it will lay at a bit of an angle instead of flat on its side.  That angle helps you get a better grip on things to lift the bike back upright.

BTW, drilling my fairings was one of the most nerve-racking things I ever did to my VFR.  It worked out just fine, but my pulse was racing at first.

• Member Contributer
14 hours ago, slowbird said:

I had side hard bags on my bike when it got hit and knocked over in my parking lot. Thankfully the Givi hard bags took the brunt of the damage.

I'd say the only downside was that it puts most of the weight on the front signal area. 

Holy Cow. Why are these pickups so frigging HUGE!

Guess the owner needs a turning circle the size of a football field! 

Such a shame, your bike looked to be well clear of that monstrosity, the idiot obviously not used to the size of the monster!

Didn't even straighten his already turned wheels to avoid you before moving off!

• Member Contributer
19 minutes ago, Cogswell said:

Because size matters . . . !  :biggrin:

All the Girls tell me that.......Cogswell, you're not a girl are you?  I'm a bit concerned about you!:wub:

• Member Contributer
On 8/12/2021 at 2:49 PM, Kbear said:

Thank you FireStorm9. I was just thinking of starting a thread on these T-Rex frame sliders. Is anyone else using these T-Rex sliders and have any input???

I also have these sliders fitted to my 8th gen, the fact that I didn’t have to cut the fairing was the main attraction (and if I’m honest the VFR logo looks pretty good, although I believe they are no longer available with the logo) I have heard reports of them bending in accidents, however all sliders are only intended for low speed crashes or dropping while stationary. I dropped my VFR in a servo and unfortunately the tank hit one fuel bowser and the headlight the other, there was a raised area of concrete that the bowsers were fixed to so the sliders barely touched the ground so it wasn’t really a good test. I also have a GoPro mount affixed to the top of the right hand side slider, gives a great angle in videos. They do make access to one of the plastic Honda fixing pins on the lower fairing panel a bit difficult. I generally remove the upper mounting bolt, loosen the lower one and rotate it out of the way. I also have the rear and front axle nut protectors fitted. Overall I am very happy with them.762B37A1-4B74-4E17-BE55-9BE26E29DC57.thumb.jpeg.4bc48d403744870c22ee811c6066ccd9.jpeg5F63C1C0-7923-4D94-8102-AED5B60B7C88.thumb.jpeg.9ad658102b8343e0faf0b0626fbbff34.jpeg

• Like 4

• Member Contributer
10 hours ago, Grum said:

Holy Cow. Why are these pickups so frigging HUGE!

Guess the owner needs a turning circle the size of a football field! 

Such a shame, your bike looked to be well clear of that monstrosity, the idiot obviously not used to the size of the monster!

Didn't even straighten his already turned wheels to avoid you before moving off!

Yeah he was a big idiot 😡

I find a lot of the drivers here with larger vehicles don't know how to properly handler their size. 

On 8/12/2021 at 5:48 AM, slowbird said:

I almost started to cry when I watched that video. Surely the work was paid for by insurance to fix your bike? And was that person in the truck even confronted regarding a hit and run? 

6 hours ago, Philois1984 said:

I also have these sliders fitted to my 8th gen, the fact that I didn’t have to cut the fairing was the main attraction (and if I’m honest the VFR logo looks pretty good, although I believe they are no longer available with the logo) I have heard reports of them bending in accidents, however all sliders are only intended for low speed crashes or dropping while stationary. I dropped my VFR in a servo and unfortunately the tank hit one fuel bowser and the headlight the other, there was a raised area of concrete that the bowsers were fixed to so the sliders barely touched the ground so it wasn’t really a good test. I also have a GoPro mount affixed to the top of the right hand side slider, gives a great angle in videos. They do make access to one of the plastic Honda fixing pins on the lower fairing panel a bit difficult. I generally remove the upper mounting bolt, loosen the lower one and rotate it out of the way. I also have the rear and front axle nut protectors fitted. Overall I am very happy with them.

Nice! I didn't know T-Rex made the rear hub protector. I'm not sure they would make it for a Gen. 6. I'll look into that.

• Like 1

• Member Contributer
8 minutes ago, Kbear said:

I almost started to cry when I watched that video. Surely the work was paid for by insurance to fix your bike? And was that person in the truck even confronted regarding a hit and run? 

Insurance covered the cost to fix the damage, however they couldn't source the fairings so they just cut me a cheque. 

I was able to find the driver and I convinced him to report his side of the accident report, however Toronto Police refused to press any charges and didn't even care to see the video. They were less than helpful.  😥

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, slowbird said:

I was able to find the driver and I convinced him to report his side of the accident report, however Toronto Police refused to press any charges and didn't even care to see the video. They were less than helpful.  😥

Wow, is all I can say. To let someone go that was actually caught on video in a "Hit and Run" is pretty sorry. What if someone were on the bike? Would it matter then I wonder? It's a good thing you weren't on the bike!

• Like 1

• Member Contributer
16 minutes ago, Kbear said:

Wow, is all I can say. To let someone go that was actually caught on video in a "Hit and Run" is pretty sorry. What if someone were on the bike? Would it matter then I wonder? It's a good thing you weren't on the bike!

Yeah it was an overall upsetting situation but grateful no one was hurt. Even more upsetting was I was about to start a weekend trip on the bike. I had just gone inside my place to feed my cat and get my helmet. Came out less than 10 mins later to find the bike on it's side.

When the Police refused to lay charges they said because it happened in a parking lot. I countered with "So when I leave the Police station, if my car hits all of your personal vehicles on the way out I won't be charged?" The Officer countered by telling me not to be a smart ass. Lazy bastards.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• Member Contributer
3 hours ago, slowbird said:

Yeah it was an overall upsetting situation but grateful no one was hurt. Even more upsetting was I was about to start a weekend trip on the bike. I had just gone inside my place to feed my cat and get my helmet. Came out less than 10 mins later to find the bike on it's side.

When the Police refused to lay charges they said because it happened in a parking lot. I countered with "So when I leave the Police station, if my car hits all of your personal vehicles on the way out I won't be charged?" The Officer countered by telling me not to be a smart ass. Lazy bastards.

In U.S, traffic laws don't apply on private property. So cops aren't too interested. Especially if it doesn't make them money like traffic citations. It becomes a civil matter. So you'd have to take them to court to recover cost for damages. Even then getting them to pay is another matter that requires collections. Horrible!!!