VFR750F 1996 Instrument Cluster

eochs

Ok, my odo was doa, so I bought a used instrument cluster from old Blighty, I'm in Canada.  I swapped instrument clusters whole, no mods, and noticed the following strange things:

the high beam shows blue indicator when lights are on low beam, and then when on high beam the indicator light is off.  The blinker lights are "on" on the dashboard, and then flash when active, otherwise working fine.  Finally, the odometer read 6.8miles after a 9.0 miles trip.  And the speedo seemed to under represent my speed.  Never seemed to go past 40MPH, even though I swear I was doing 50plus.  Hmmm, any ideas folks??  I'm thinking the sensor sender on the speedo circuit needs to be matched with the MPH instrument cluster?  No idea actually,....

My next move was going to be to take the tach/odo off the british cluster, and insert it into my Canadian cluster...

• Member Contributer

If these panels are anything like the 5gen, which from the Service Manual they seem similar. They can suffer badly from corroded/broken copper tracks on the internal printed circuit board. This could explain the strange indicator lights you are experiencing. Copper tracks can easily be repaired by soldering a bridging wire over the break on the copper track.

Instrument issues can also be caused by copper track issues as well as poor connections to the PCB via the mounting screws which make the electrical connections.

The replacement speedo/odo under reads because the speed sensor on your bike is for a KPH speedo not a MPH one.

Your idea of transferring the Speedo/Odo from the spare to your original sounds like a good idea to try, execpt for the speed sensor mismatch.

When you do this have a close look at all connections and copper tracks of both panels.

Good luck.

Ok, that is all the encouragment I need.  The British unit has a working speedo/odo(MPH), but the printed circuit board on back looks bad.  My original cluster (in KM) is in very good shape there.  I'm going to reassemble with the best parts of both clusters, and retest....

• Member Contributer

plugs going to your low and high-beam relays are probably switched.

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, DannoXYZ said:

plugs going to your low and high-beam relays are probably switched.

OP doesn't report of main headlights being wrong way around.

Swapping relay plugs won't change anything as the wiring remains with the plug! You'd just be using the other relay = no change.

Instrument Panel lights being Hi Beam, Left and Right turn are the lights the OP states are doing strange things. These three globes happen to share a common ground, copper track issues with this ground are known to cause strange light effects with the globes in the instrument panel, not the main globes themselves.

Ok, that is all the encouragment I need.  The British unit has a working speedo/odo(MPH), but the printed circuit board on back looks bad.  My original cluster (in KM) is in very good shape there.  I'm going to reassemble with the best parts of both clusters, and retest....

Done!  And voila the issues are mostly resolved, but the speedo is incorrect yet!  Its counting miles now, but under counting them.  Same error ratio as with the British instrument cluster.  My Canadian Cluster had much less corrosion, and so everything seems to work fine, except the clock which fell apart when I popped it out of the circuit board.  Sigh.  

Do I need a matched electronic sender to make it read right??

• Member Contributer

Why have you gone to the trouble of fitting a Speedo/Odometer in miles and mph, when you actually need a kilometer and kph unit? Doesn't make sense! :wacko:

You need one of these a 37200-MZ7-008 metric speedo.

OR you need a Speed Sensor 37700-MZ7-601 mph sensor to go with your mph/miles speedo/odo.!

• Member Contributer
16 hours ago, Grum said:

OP doesn't report of main headlights being wrong way around.

Swapping relay plugs won't change anything as the wiring remains with the plug! You'd just be using the other relay = no change.

ah yes, the high-beam indicator is triggered by switch itself. Strange though, switch terminals reversed?

Because ground issues would just cause no ground and no light. Not generate power where was none before.

OP, how did you fix high-beam indicator issue?

• Member Contributer
15 hours ago, DannoXYZ said:

OP, how did you fix high-beam indicator issue?

The hi beam indicator and turn indicator issues were with the spare panel he purchased and fitted, not with his original.

He then removed the Speedo from the spare and placed that into his original panel. He no longer has issues with the indicator lights but now has an imperial speedo/odo instead of a metric one. Now it seems the bikes original metric speed sensor is not matched for his imperial speedo/odo.

Don't understand why the OP went and purchased a faulty imperial panel, when he needed a metric one!

• Member Contributer
4 hours ago, DannoXYZ said:

Because ground issues would just cause no ground and no light. Not generate power where was none before.

Danno, have a read of the above link. This guy had issues with PCB copper tracks causing strange panel indicator light operation on his 5th gen. The same lights the OP had issues with when he fitted the spare panel he purchased.

Could be more about the corrosion across the tracks forming a conductive path rather than ground issues.

• Member Contributer

Thanks! Wow yes! creating circuits out of thin air! 🤣

• Member Contributer

does VSS count pulses off output shaft?

Would generate same pulses/sec based on speed regardless of dash reading mph or kph?

• Member Contributer
6 hours ago, DannoXYZ said:

does VSS count pulses off output shaft?

Would generate same pulses/sec based on speed regardless of dash reading mph or kph?

Sensor is coupled to the output shaft but does not "count pulses off the output shaft". Sensor is possibly some type of optical encoder or similar. Pulse frequency or pulse widths can be made to be different depending on whether a mph or kph type fitted.

The part numbers for the Speed Sensors are different depending whether mph or kph is required.

This probably explains why the OP is seeing lower speeds and shorter odo distances, when fitting a mph speedo to a kph sensor fitted bike. Guess this is typical of an older analog speedometer system.

• Member Contributer

interesting... maybe they do some signal-processing before sending onto dash... I need to 'scope one of these things in action.

• Member Contributer
8 hours ago, DannoXYZ said:

interesting... maybe they do some signal-processing before sending onto dash... I need to 'scope one of these things in action.

Hey Danno.

A little more research tells me the Speed Sensors have a number 3 or 4 stamped on them.

4 = 4 pulses per revolution for MPH

3 = 3 pulses per revolution for KPH.

See attached picture showing the number 4 - mph version.

Bottom is the number 3 - kph version.

Screenshot_20210514-194646_YouTube.jpg

sensor-assyspeed_big37700MZ7013-02_8023.jpg

• Member Contributer

Awesome research, thanks!

Looks like speed-sensor is mechanical, rather than inductively counting teeth on output-shaft.

Makes sense.

Archived