Ugh. I pulled the trigger and now am in love (again)

• Member Contributer

Just added an 06, pearl white Goldwing to the stable.  Now I am in trouble because what does that mean for my beloved VFR that I have been riding since 2006?  The good news is I own both of them out right so I have time to decide which one will be the keeper but my gut already tells me I may be seeking a new home for the VFR.  I love it but the riding posture on the VFR is hard on my lower back (even with conditioning and focus on using my core) and after a few hours of riding it really takes a toll.  It's why I had to find the next best thing.  The FJR1300 I test drove felt more like work than fun but the Goldwings (yes, plural) I test drove had that VFR feel to it.  Inspiring and fun (yes, an almost 900 lb bike fit that description).  Best of all, the seating position is perfect for me without modifications (I have custom bar risers and extended brake/clutch lines on the VFR) and the seat.  Wow.  No more sore butt in my future.  I will need to put the GW through its paces before reaching any real conclusions to be fair and I know I can't expect to be able to carve as deep on the VFR but more of my rides have been about smooth versus fast and since the house fire my wife has been wanting to 2 up with me and our last ride on the VFR left her a little sore from the seat.  I don't expect that will be a problem with the Queen's throne.  

No, I don't have the space for MBD and don't want to pay $400+ per year on insurance on a bike that hardly gets ridden.  Besides, both of those bikes need regular exercise and I don't want either to get neglected.  And my daughter sat on the Queen's throne last night as asked that when I was done riding it for good if she could have it and she is only 9 years old.  😆

Congrats on your Goldwing!  🙂

My decision to move on from my VFR was more about my knees and neck.  My back was never a problem, but the last couple years my knees would get sore after a few hours of riding on long days and trips.  Also during long days my neck started to get sore from "looking up" all the time while crouched in a sportbike-like riding position.  I could have probably solved both issues with lower footpegs and higher bars, but I was ready for something different after 14 years on the VFR.  I loved my VFR but for me it was time to move on.

Regarding touring motorcycles, I test rode a newer BMW R1200RT while I was bike shopping last year.  Very comfortable, but it was just too big for my taste at the time, especially for a daily rider/all-arounder.  But if I ever do a lot of touring, I'd probably buy an older one with some miles on it, and maybe try to keep my current bike, too.  It should be paid off by then.  😉 

• Member Contributer
3 hours ago, Dutchy said:

:worthlesswithoutpics:

:tongue:

Wing.jpg

Highway pegs are coming off and the pin striping.  Possibly the driver back rest as well if I can't tighten it down.  It flops around right now. 

Just over 43K miles.  No ABS so that will take a little getting used to again.  I will get some out door shots when I get it registered so you will have to settle for this as proof I have one now (and the beautiful VFR just behind it).  😋

• Member Contributer

I have never really had any interest in touring bikes, but a few years ago I went for a Honda Come Ride With Us day and took out an F6B Goldwing. I was surprised how much I liked it and would happily add one if I had the space for another bike. I even got my motorcycle hating wife out on one like yours, but she just can't stand the dynamics of a bike so that avenue closed. While on the F6B our part of the group got split off at some lights and the guy in front of me was on a CBR600RR (he coincidentally owns a VFR800) so he became the defacto leader. It was on a flowing rural road and he made several fast passes to catch up and I had no trouble staying with him, might have had to downshift once or twice. When we got back he came straight over to me and said he couldn't believe I kept up, so I think we were both impressed.

It makes me think of the commercial when that model was released, with some classical music playing and the rider getting faster with the music on a mountain road until there are sparks coming off the bike. When he pulls off at the end and removes his helmet there's Nicky Haydens signature big grin. Unfortunately I couldn't find it online anywhere to link to.

• Member Contributer

I got to get into some leans this morning and was surprised at how planted it felt.  I am still learning where the limits are but I can't wait to ride it again.  Good thing I drove it to work this morning.  😁

• Member Contributer

Did you steal those grips from a Harley?  😁

1 hour ago, tbzep said:

Did you steal those grips from a Harley?  😁

Maybe they're comfortable, but I've never understood the thought of, "Hey, I know!  Let's make part of the motorcycle you hold onto more slippery!!"  Genius.  :laugh:

• Member Contributer
22 hours ago, Dangeruss said:

It makes me think of the commercial when that model was released, with some classical music playing and the rider getting faster with the music on a mountain road until there are sparks coming off the bike. When he pulls off at the end and removes his helmet there's Nicky Haydens signature big grin. Unfortunately I couldn't find it online anywhere to link to.

This one?

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, TimC said:

Maybe they're comfortable, but I've never understood the thought of, "Hey, I know!  Let's make part of the motorcycle you hold onto more slippery!!"  Genius.  :laugh:

Seriously?  Give a guy a few days to upgrade those grips!  I have seen them on a lot of Goldwings so I am not sure they aren't standard.  And they aren't heated which I object to since I spoiled myself with heated grips on the VFR.  Can't be rolling around on that couch without heated grips!  🤭

Anyway, I finally got it out on some twisty roads and I'll be damned if I can't lean that GW through my favorite S turns as fast as my VFR.  It's only slightly disjointing when the foot pegs touch down and make pretty sparkles.  Maybe it's just me but it seems easier to lean on the GW than the VFR.  I suspect the low center of gravity is the culprit.

Cool commercial by the way.

11 hours ago, TimC said:

Counterintuitive perhaps but to a gloved hand what is more slippery; rubbery often separated OEM “hose” or this billet contraption with positive tractor threads? Hmmm... 😉

• Member Contributer

Congratulations vanion2 :beer:

• Member Contributer
17 hours ago, DannoXYZ said:

This one?

I found that one, but my memory was of one when he was a bit older, and there wasn't the heavy voice over, just music that got faster with the riding up to the point there were sparks coming off the pegs.

• Member Contributer

First 2 up ride today.  Another pass down S14 only this time at a more sedate pace with the wife on the back.  Her response after the ride?  "Love my throne!"  Apparently the GW has been royally blessed. 

• Member Contributer

Hello vanion2,

I haven't been on in a bit and when I do I see your 'back in the fold'. So sorry to hear about your close escape at the house, super happy you and yours all made it through without injury. Everything else is just 'stuff'. Is ZIA VFR still around? And, did you consider a ST 1300 ? guy at work has one and loves it. I sent you a PM.

Rangemaster

• Member Contributer
3 hours ago, rangemaster said:

Hello vanion2,

I haven't been on in a bit and when I do I see your 'back in the fold'. So sorry to hear about your close escape at the house, super happy you and yours all made it through without injury. Everything else is just 'stuff'. Is ZIA VFR still around? And, did you consider a ST 1300 ? guy at work has one and loves it. I sent you a PM.

Rangemaster

ZiaVFR is still around.  I am hoping to set up a ride with him in the very near future.  You are always invited and I will keep you in the loop.  I did consider an ST1300.  I tried to test drive one but it was so heavy and I couldn't get both feet on the ground that I didn't even take it for a test drive.  It has a custom seat and the salesman didn't know how to adjust it. 

• Member Contributer

Here's the GW in the sunlight at 10K feet above sea level. 

image.thumb.jpeg.cf5294a97616be9acaeb2256ef53e58c.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.29d7212d0ff7233211130ea85ba159d3.jpeg

And because this is a VFR site I won't keep posting pictures of the GW after this.  I don't want anyone think that I don't love and have the utmost respect for the VFR. 

• Member Contributer

Start a "blog" and you can post to your hearth's content...  Don't ask how I know :laugh:

Archived