Lost Givi monokey keys in house fire

vanion2

• Member Contributer

So I have 2 x V35's that are locked closed and no keys to open them with.  Any suggestions on how to get them open without damaging the cases?  I  already ordered a new set of Givi locks with keys so I  don't care if the current locks are destroyed but I  need the cases intact.

TIA!

• Member Contributer

Never mind.  I took the side cases to a locksmith and I am glad I did.  They tried to make a key which surprised me because my research turned up just making a duplicate was a challenge.  As expected they were unsuccessful.  Next was trying to pick the lock.  Also unsuccessful.  Apparently the Givi locks are no joke.  Finally it was drilling the locks out.  If you choose to do this be careful and take your time.  You need to go at a slight angle towards the top of the case and don't go too deep.  There will be a slot on the bottom that a flat head screwdriver can be used to unlock the case.  If you go too deep then you're hosed.  It cost me a total of $35 for both (YMMV) and it was worth it after watching them.  

The good news is the Givi lock and keys sets are easy to find on Amazon for a reasonable price so I ordered a new set and removing the lock assembly is pretty easy.  

• Member Contributer

Yes - these are easy to replace with new tumblers and keys.  Part number is Givi Z228:

GIVI Z228 3 Lock set and 6 matching keys https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0046AYXQ2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_B6ZFFKZAZ2MXPG0VVJZC?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

• Member Contributer

Well, a bit late now, but don't all GiVi lock cylinders have the key codes etched onto the face of the cylinder?  It's the same code stamped into the keys. 

Mine all do, but they're all pretty old by now.

Ciao,

JZH

• Member Contributer

T

On 5/8/2021 at 5:20 PM, ShipFixer said:

Yes - these are easy to replace with new tumblers and keys.  Part number is Givi Z228:

GIVI Z228 3 Lock set and 6 matching keys https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0046AYXQ2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_B6ZFFKZAZ2MXPG0VVJZC?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Already got that kit on the way.  ;)

On 5/9/2021 at 8:52 AM, JZH said:

Well, a bit late now, but don't all GiVi lock cylinders have the key codes etched onto the face of the cylinder?  It's the same code stamped into the keys. 

Mine all do, but they're all pretty old by now.

Ciao,

JZH

Mine do as well.  Unfortunately that did not help at all as the keys Givi use are hard to find even in a locksmith's shop.  They tried several keys based on the key codes and even tried to make one from scratch with no success.  Besides, now I will have all 3 cases keyed the same since I ordered the kit ShipFixer listed above last week so I call that a win regardless.

• Member Contributer

To help others, the blank many people have used for some of the Monokey cases is ILCO X132.  Or ILCO X226.  On US eBay, masterslocksmith sells the X226 specifically as a blank for the V46 and E52 cases.  

But the reason I mentioned the codes was because someone might have an extra one laying around--when I last looked into this there didn't seem to be that many different codes.

Ciao,

JZH

• Member Contributer

The cases that I lost the keys for were V35 side cases.  Still someone may benefit from that information so thanks for sharing!

Archived