Power Commander 5 for the Gen 5 VFR (1998) Tune/Map Question

VicSev93

Question

Hello all! 

My gen 5 VFR has full headers/silencer Black Widow system, K/N filter and the flapper mod (came with the mod) My bike has had its engine swapped. It has a new TPS sensor aswell. The bike running lean. Makes pops on deceleration, sometimes flames shoot out, and overall it has a smell that cuts through they eyes after running for like 15 seconds. (this was all after the engine swap, prior to the headers, but nothing changed after) Other than that, it pulls strong, and is a total beast, because of this I ordered the Power Commander 5. However, they do not have a tune for what I need, I did request a tune from them to see what can be done. Anyone here have a similar tune I can look at? with the same configuration, I would appreciate it a lot! I just really want my VFR to run as best as it can.. its been through so much. Thank you once again. Bike pic just for attention, 

175918066_1145496819267185_7212345086441840071_n.jpg

2 answers to this question

• Member Contributer

Do you have the PC5 installed?  In case your '98 does not like PC5 like my '99 did, here's how you update your PC5 firmware.

https://www.vfrdiscussion.com/index.php?/forums/topic/91204-power-commander-v-fix-for-2000-2001-vfrs/&tab=comments#comment-1104439

Our bikes are snowflakes, they're all different. What works one one bike may not yield the same performance metrics on another.  Lots of variables involved.

Thought there are some PC maps on VFRD's download section that may help:

https://www.vfrdiscussion.com/index.php?/files/category/1-power-commander-maps/

Don't worry about some of them being PC3, your PC5 app to load the maps, "Power Commander V Software" will convert them.

A good place to start would be with map M101-303 (1998-1999 Honda VFR 800, Erion full exhaust, Stock or aftermarket air filter)

Best obviously would be to get your bike to a professional tuner and get your injectors cleaned!!

Many of us use RC Fuel Injection in Torrance CA. https://www.rcfuelinjection.com/  Though he's on this side of the country, he's great.  Fast service and provides a before and after report so you can see how bad your injectors were performing.

I'm sure that Black Widow sounds wonderful, they definitely look great.

Good luck!

• Member Contributer

The PC may not be the cure for you bike's ills.   If in good working order, an early 5th gen will exhibit none of those symptoms.  Mine runs as smoothly as my 4th gen did with no fuel module what so ever.  The PCV might end up being an effort to mask symptoms of the real problem.  It would be good to first rule out any vacuum leaks.  You mentioned the flapper has been disconnected - what became of the vacuum hose?  That could be the source of one leak.  If it were mine I'd reconnect it to let the airbox control the intake velocity as intended.  Either way, also have a look at the PAIR system if still installed for leaks, cruddy PAIR plates under the cam cover fittings, and if it has a purge canister that all the hoses have been securely dealt with.  When the TB's were installed on the new motor, how were the boots - any cracks?  All the clamps verified tight?  As mentioned above, it never hurts to clean the injectors, unfortunately on a 5G the TB's have to come back off to do that.  At any rate, it would be good to go back over everything to be sure all is working as it should prior to making other changes. 

Also, I hate to keep at this, but have a look at Rapid Bike.  PC is a dated technology - RB has passed them by.  If you add an O2 sensor to your headers, it can tune to a specified AFR on the fly and with the RB Racing, provide a few more degrees of ignition advance that PC cannot do. 

Archived