Hi from new VFR owner

First post to say hello. I've been riding big bikes for about 7 years (I started late at 42) - with Ninja 650, then Triumph Tiger 800 & now a VFR.

I managed to bag one of the very last new 2020 bikes for sale in the UK, what a great bike in every respect...

I wonder if anyone can shed any light on the attached image - just giving the bike a good look over, and spotted what looks like SME 07 has been scratched into the bike just in front of the rear shock, I'm guessing this was done at the factory, is this normal or someone having a laugh?

Cheers in advance

Paul

IMG_20210504_155723_resized_20210504_041638756.jpg

IMG_20210501_150336_resized_20210504_041724121.jpg

• Member Contributer

Welcome ..... whereabouts in Cotswolds are you? .... I’m not far from Wotton Under Edge 

No idea what your message means ....

Just down the road from you in Avening, between Nailsworth & Tetbury... I picked the bike up from Crescent Honda in Southampton on the 24th. Frustratingly, it's missing a couple of bolts from the foot peg brackets - dealer thinks they were swiped from bike while in the showroom, so can't really ride it until they send new ones down in a few days... didn't notice until i got it back after 95 miles...

I know Wotton quite well, fun switch-backs up the hill. A friend of mine works in the school too. Might be fun to take the VFRs out? Has your's been trouble free? I've got a couple of mates in the village who still have their late 90s 750 versions, one of them has had it from new!

Cheers

Paul

Congrats on your new VFR and welcome to the forum!  🙂

Sorry to hear about the missing bolts.  Hopefully the replacements will arrive fast.

Have fun and ride safe!

• Member Contributer

Welcome to VFRD from across the North Sea :beer:

Markings are done at factory afaik to match parts that were machined together

• Member Contributer

Couldn't they have used paint for that?
Just seems rude to scratch up brand-new bike!!! :angry:

1 hour ago, Dutchy said:

Markings are done at factory afaik to match parts that were machined together

Thanks Dutchy. I thought the same, just surprised they're scratched into metal instead of using semi-permanent pen. Dealer not seen them etched-in either. Luckily not a part that can rust... 

2 minutes ago, DannoXYZ said:

Couldn't they have used paint for that?
Just seems rude to scratch up brand-new bike!!! :angry:

That's my view too... 🤔

• Member Contributer

Welcome Paul800, I am sure you will only become more impressed with the VFR the more you ride it. Five years on and I still have a grin on my face just looking at it in the garage. Have 36,000km on mine and have had no problems at all, many on this forum have two to three times that mileage without any issues. Will have to check to see if I have similar markings. Ride safe and enjoy.

5 hours ago, Cogswell said:

This is from a 6th gen.  They all have it.

6th g.JPG

Cheers for that, it's good to know as I've not seen it on previous 2 bikes. Thanks for confirming 🍺👍

Archived