How to get it running agaian..

Hi it runs! new jets cleaned chock tubes they were blocked all slow jets blocked fired up straight away had next to no fuel in it! oil changed new filter.Now there is a knocking sound that comes and goes on idle whe slight rev it goes... not tappet,engine runs and sound superb ive seen online somthing to do with cam jurnals? and drilling a hole ...not sure i want to do that what esle might it be any iders? also temp needle moves but wont rise power to both sensors rad and thermostat fan cuts in good is the radiator the one to change for temp?

• Member Contributer

Both my '90 and '93 have that knocking sound, I'm assuming (hoping) it's normal. They do it at idle when warm, but if I set the idle high, they don't do it. Might just be the engine clunking at such low revs... anyone else?

• Member Contributer

I wonder if rising rpm brings more oil flow / pressure helping to compensate for various internal clearances.  The rad only has a switch for the fan - the gauge sensor is in the V - it will be more difficult to reach.  

yes starts on the button idles lovely  does,nt seem to want much if any choke? knocking i seen is something to do with cam tolerances or clutch basket that,s what i saw online about oil ways in cam jurnals..im not to bothered about engine as the way it starts and runs and sounds right.Also for an engine that has been well engineered im happy with the bike hope to put it on the road in a few weeks time just cleaning, changing all fluids at the moment watch this space....

If you haven't already done it then I would recommend changing the coolant. The thermostat and temp sensor are on the right side and not horrible to access on the 94-97 models. When I got my 94 I changed the coolant, the thermostat and pulled and cleaned the temp sensor and switch.

did anyone suggest to synch the carbs ?? poor synch will have the engine idling unevenly, which causes clutch noise as plates bounce fore and aft.

• 1 month later...

Bike all done 👍back on road rides lovely go,s well stripped down calipers all new seal,s front and back re-bleed again as binding at MOT passed now also new pads in front as last set nackered.Pulls strong had a couple 110s ...easy👍bedding in pads and tyres now, love the bike i had a cbr 600 f4 before this ..must admit i like this better so comfortable on the road over potholes bad surface,s gearbox smooth as silk as is clutch,thanks for all the advise, just wondering... if i carry a pillion would rear suspension need to be harder? i see from some posts changing settings on these makes little difference? its set to standard at the moment front and back..Heres a couple of pics ..bike has a grand into it bought and put on road .... spare tank..i think i done allright 🙂👍need another bargain project now🤔

IMG20210627160950.jpg

IMG20210627160922.jpg

Archived