Double Side Swingarm

Xanderj13

Question

I know this topic has been covered somewhat but I need to know how to get a double sided swingarm onto a VFR. I recently joined a group of riders all of which are owners of Repsol replicas. I want to build my own instead of taking the easy way and buying a factory version. The idea is to take a VFR and shave as much weight off as possible, put the double Side Swingarm in and have my own V4 Honda Repsol replica. I have heard a CBR954 swingarm will go on with little modification?

20 answers to this question

• Member Contributer

There's a thread on VFR World where someone says they installed a CBR 954 swing arm and it only took a couple hours, and he includes pictures?

• Member Contributer

Maybe swap in the inline 4 engine while you are at it, then it would be just like theirs. :ohmy: Don't take me too seriously, it's your bike, do what you want with it, but the VFR's 2 most iconic features are the V4 and the single sider and you want to make it more conformist. New wheel, swingarm and shock will set you back over a grand without yielding much other than a visual change. I've seen guys with CBR's that swap the VFR arm on to be different, do yours up to make them jealous. You could do a Castrol RC45 replica, stick to the bikes heritage, and keep with the groups oil company theme, double win! When you stop people will notice yours for its differences instead of the other clones. Probably not what you wanted to hear, but somebody was going to say it. 

• Member Contributer

I’d really like to do the same. 

The 5th Gen’s tailsection has always seemed too fat, to my eye. I’d love to do the 954 swingarm, Core Moto wheelset, and an exhaust can up each side, in the RC51 style. I think, that’d add necessary bulk to give the rear some visual balance. 

• Member Contributer

Not sure which gen VFR you're interested in converting and don't have detailed instructions on conversion but here's some info that could help. 

Here's a nice article on the '99 RC45 Castrol version with double sided swingarms.

http://www.simonevans.co.uk/v-four/rc45-99.htm

And here's a video of the '98 RC45 Lucky Stripe Suzuka winner in the Honda Museum.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-F1JxSpZxuY

I included a few pictures of the Lucky Stripe bike.

I'm sure someone out there can make you a vinyl wrap to fit your Repsol needs.

At one point Thurn Motorsport in Germany sold a rear fairing to match RC45 style.

http://www.thurn-motorsport.de/html/hocker-rc46-1.html

His website is in German and has not been updated in years/decades 

The owner Gerhard can be reached at info@thurn-motorsport.de, very pleasant to deal with.

As of last April when I purchased an item from him, he was shipping to the US.  

Good luck with your build, Sounds like a fun build

Regarding the unbalanced look ducnut mentioned, a wider 6 inch rim may help.

https://www.extremecreations.com.au/1098-ducati-hub-conversion-kit-for-vfr800

Note: price is in Australian Dollars (aud)

Extreme Creations just made a new batch of kits to convert a 5th gen swingarm to a single nut Ducati wheel with Brembo brakes. You can use the kit with 848 hubs for 5.5 inch wheels or 1098/1198 hubs to convert to 6.0.  Lots of sexy 6.0 wheels for 1098/1198 available. But then you'll have to do something about the front end. '04-'06 R1 forks with custom triples from our own SebSpeed would round out the build.

If you go this route, I suggest you explore purchasing a complete 848/1098/1198 swingarm for a better value.  If you're are willing to wait, they can be had on eBay for as little as $250 shipped.  Pricing the Ducati parts individually is not cost effective. I was lucky and locally found a swingarm with Brembo P34 caliper, master cylinder, brake hanger, spacers, spindle, eccentric hub for a great price.  I then sold the swingarm on craigslist and my final price was less than what I've seen P34 calipers sell for on eBay.

Keef started this:

https://www.customfighters.com/threads/keefs-vfr8.66581/#/topics/66581?page=1

And Gig's threads;

https://www.vfrdiscussion.com/index.php?/forums/topic/82963-single-nut-conversion-vfr800-hrc-rc45-style-one-more/page/5/&tab=comments#comment-1079891

https://www.vfrdiscussion.com/index.php?/forums/topic/87432-my-399-lb-vfr848/

Have Fun!

RC_45_Lucky_01.jpg

RC_45_Lucky_05.jpg

RC_45_Lucky_13.jpg

• Member Contributer

I'm a single sider fan (if it wasn't obvious) but damn, that's an awesome looking bike, and would likely look even more so minus the sponsor decals (as a road bike). Thanks for the Extreme Creations link, I was happy with my bolt on 5 spoke wheel until a few minutes ago.

• Member Contributer

If you go the the "other" VFR forum, member Toecutter did the reverse with his '86 (or poss 87) going from double to singe.  Yes that's backwards from what you're asking but the process would be a mirror image and give you some idea of what spacers, clearancing, alignment etc might be involved, depending upon the gen.  The 3rd post down in the link has what I think is a reference to the build thread.  You'll need to do some searching, but it should be findable. 

https://vfrworld.com/members/toe-cutter.11738/

Also, keep in mind that if you're looking at a 4th gen as above (yes, that is a smokin' hot replica 🤤 - I'd like to find a G.F. that hot . . . )   , the SA pivots in the frame.  If you're talking 5th or 6th gen, it pivots in the engine case with the "cushion" (Honda's term) that mounts to the engine and fits on the outside of the SA on each side as well as providing the lower shock attachment.  If you look at 5/6G engines on ebay you'll see the massive boss on the back of each where the bolt goes through.  While it's a very doable project, be realistic about what will be involved - you'll likely need some custom spacers made as well as other bits and pieces to make it all fit.  It will likely be a significant investment in time and resources vs plug and play. 

If you really want to wow your friends, keep the SSSA and do a single nut rear axle conversion.  Once they see it, not one of them will be able to stand up . . . if ya know what I mean.  LOL! 

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, Dangeruss said:

....I was happy with my bolt on 5 spoke wheel until a few minutes ago......

Doooo eeet!

748451334_VFRrear1.jpg

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, jim v said:

Doooo eeet!

748451334_VFRrear1.jpg

That's the money shot, right there.  A single nut conversion beats a swingarm pair . . .

• Member Contributer

You need these pictures off, I am still drooling over them!!!😄

Wow! what a setup!!!

• Member Contributer

I've thought about doing the double-sided swing arm conversion on my NC35, to the extent that I once bought a couple of extra 400cc swing arms to try (but, er, never did).  I do have the JHA (I think it is) double-sided carbon exhaust, which of course is an absolute requirement.  But as the Lucky Strike RC45 pics show, the HRC swing arm is distinctive, with its internal bracing welds visible on the outside.  I haven't seen any OEM swing arms with that "look".  Of course, how hard would it be to get someone to weld a surface bead on each side of it...

Ciao,

JZH

• Member Contributer
Generally speaking in racing the weight difference between a SS
(Single Side) and a DS (Double Side) swingarm is not much at all...
the real difference comes with a lighter material...

Stock RC45 SS aluminum arm 11.7 lbs
HRC RC45 SS aluminum arm 11.0 lbs
HRC RC45 SS Magnesium arm 7.5 lbs

Ducati MotoGp replica D16RR
Double sided aluminum arm 11.9 lbs

RC45HRCStockSwingarms.JPG

Ducati MotoGp replica D16RR

DesmosediciSwingArm2.JPG

• Member Contributer

I had understood that weight wasn't the reason HRC went with the double-sided swing arm--it was the geometry changes induced by the axle moving around in an arc when the chain/sprocket is adjusted.  

Ciao,

JZH

• Member Contributer

Anyone that has ever raced a SSA bike knows all about the issues with geometry changes with the rear eccentric.

I'm involved with a MV F3 675 in the NZ National Champs and it is a bit of a mission to try and keep arm length and ride height where you want it.

Doable but more difficult than a DSA

I've got a 748 EVO rear hub etc. in my 800 now and love it.

The Brembo brakes back and front are so much better than the Honda stocks

No too hard to do. Requires making spacers as the 929/954 pivot bolt is larger than the VFR800 bolt. Here is a picture of my 02 with 954 arm installed, I also have a 929 swingarm with extensions for drag racing. Yes, thats a 929 front end, and yes its a gen 5 gear drive non vtec motor.....

Good luck with your project!

02 VFR800 Project.jpg

• Member Contributer
On 5/9/2021 at 8:57 PM, HighSideNZ said:

Anyone that has ever raced a SSA bike knows all about the issues with geometry changes with the rear eccentric.

I'm involved with a MV F3 675 in the NZ National Champs and it is a bit of a mission to try and keep arm length and ride height where you want it.

Doable but more difficult than a DSA

I've got a 748 EVO rear hub etc. in my 800 now and love it.

The Brembo brakes back and front are so much better than the Honda stocks

HIghSideNZ, can I ask what rear brake setup you're running? I have a Ducati hub in my 800 as well and suffer from a weak and wooden rear brake

• Member Contributer

Hi Jim

I'm running a full Ducati EVO 848 rear brake assemble and also the master cylinder.

It is really good.

Cheers

Phil

• Member Contributer

I also use a Brembo (P34c) rear brake system from an 848 using eyrwbvfr's adaptor, works great!

https://www.vfrdiscussion.com/index.php?/forums/topic/94916-5th-gen-rear-brake-adapter-interest-check/

I have a rough draft how-to on installing a Brembo rear brake system using eyrwbvfr's adaptor.  Once completed, I'll include the how-to on adaptor thread above.

Brembo_Brake_System.jpg.3e96418c6bf5a01b28087d553db4f6eb.jpg

• Member Contributer
On 6/26/2021 at 5:27 AM, HighSideNZ said:

Hi Jim

I'm running a full Ducati EVO 848 rear brake assemble and also the master cylinder.

It is really good.

Cheers

Phil

Thanks Phil, did you use a home made adaptor plate for the conversion? Its riding season here, trying to spend as little time as possible with the bike off the road.....

• Member Contributer

As I'm using the Ducati hub/disk/caliper carrier i did not need an adaptor

Phil

Archived