Vtec service recommendations please

apscurrah

Sorry if this has been asked before but I did try searching. 

I live on the Central Coast, NSW Australia and I’m looking for recommendations as to where to have the valve service done on my RC80 vetec. I’ve heard the horror stories and was ripped off by a mechanic who said he’d done the service and charged me for it but I recently discovered he hadn’t. As a result it’s now way overdue.
The local Honda dealer has only just got the Honda franchise so not keen on them as they’d have no experience. Happy to travel to Sydney or Newcastle. 

Thanks for any help 🙂

• Member Contributer
47 minutes ago, apscurrah said:

67,000km. It’s well overdue

I’m in Sydney and have had it done twice at my local Honda dealer. Apparently no change. First time they had the bike for two days, second time only one day. Not sure if the second visit was well done. All up spent $2,500 on those services. Can’t see it being worth it anymore, because I’m over 60,000 km and the bike value is getting closer to the service cost.

5 hours ago, VFR78 said:

I’m in Sydney and have had it done twice at my local Honda dealer. Apparently no change. First time they had the bike for two days, second time only one day. Not sure if the second visit was well done. All up spent $2,500 on those services. Can’t see it being worth it anymore, because I’m over 60,000 km and the bike value is getting closer to the service cost.

Thanks for the reply. Which is your local Honda dealer? I’m planning on keeping this bike for a very long time so will get it done properly, hence the question. You won’t notice any change, it just prevents the valves burning out once the shims wear down and they don’t open fully anymore. 

• Member Contributer

I think you mean that the valves tighten up and no longer close completely.   The hot combustion gases leaking past not-fully-sealed valves will burn them.  A member here ran his VTEC over 160,000 km and never touched the valves  - said it ran perfectly.  At 50,000 km all my VTEC valves were very tight  - it was checked 3 times by very experienced people.  Had us all scratching our heads, but it's what we got.  Actually,  it's not as bad a D.I.Y. job as it seems. There's a good youtube  how to video.  It's not terribly difficult,  but it is long and tedious - hence the cost. Also, the VTEC buckets are very expensive and it can add up quickly.  After doing it, I swore I would never do so on someone else's bike for money - I'd go broke.

• Member Contributer
5 hours ago, apscurrah said:

Thanks for the reply. Which is your local Honda dealer? I’m planning on keeping this bike for a very long time so will get it done properly, hence the question. You won’t notice any change, it just prevents the valves burning out once the shims wear down and they don’t open fully anymore. 

SCM Bike is still running great. It’s a keeper, until I rob a bank.

Archived