Need a Taller Screen - 7th Gen Suggestions Please

Skids

• Member Contributer

Hi all. I currently have a Powerbronze smoked screen fitted to my 2014 VFR1200F (pics below) but since I fitted some Helibar bar risers, the wind deflection is not enough to prevent quite an increase in wind noise to the sides of my helmet so I'm looking for something higher and/or that will be more deflective to the sides (there's almost no movement of air between the front of my helmet and the screen). I do find it annoying that there is no way to check them out in advance as it's a big expense to find out it doesn't do the job. Also, it needs to be available in smoked.

Thanks in advance.  :beer:

IMAG1267.jpg

IMAG1268.jpg

• Member Contributer
  • Member Contributer

Man alive, you want lower, not higher.  Check out this thread. You might first start with blocking the wind coming up through the fork area. This bike is terrible with this. For safety sake, do NOT put anything in there that could get loose and prevent you from turning. I built a little air damn. Check out this thread. In the end, with a much lowered screen and less air coming through the fork area, with my Shoei GT-Air I hear nothing but a very quiet whoosh at 75 mph. Like, it's perfection. I am completely obsessed with wind noise so trust me when I say where I ended up is the best you can get.

I also have an expensive like new shield you're welcome to buy from me, and waste your money on. It's a $200 National Cycle screen in great condition. See the first post in that thread.

• Member Contributer
9 hours ago, Chromedome said:

Man alive, you want lower, not higher.  Check out this thread. You might first start with blocking the wind coming up through the fork area. This bike is terrible with this. For safety sake, do NOT put anything in there that could get loose and prevent you from turning. I built a little air damn. Check out this thread. In the end, with a much lowered screen and less air coming through the fork area, with my Shoei GT-Air I hear nothing but a very quiet whoosh at 75 mph. Like, it's perfection. I am completely obsessed with wind noise so trust me when I say where I ended up is the best you can get.

I also have an expensive like new shield you're welcome to buy from me, and waste your money on. It's a $200 National Cycle screen in great condition. See the first post in that thread.

Thanks, I recall that now, I'd completely forgotten about it.

• Member Contributer
12 hours ago, Chromedome said:

Before I think about buying a new screen to cut down, I'd like to try the fork fence thing which you said seemed to contribute to reduced flow.

Any chance you have a template I could start with?

Cheers. :beer:

4 hours ago, Skids said:

Before I think about buying a new screen to cut down, I'd like to try the fork fence thing which you said seemed to contribute to reduced flow.

Any chance you have a template I could start with?

Cheers. :beer:

Ditto.

• Member Contributer

I went ahead and started my own. Need to transfer it to something more solid then see about attaching it then trialling it.

IMAG1269.jpg

• Member Contributer

I never did this. But if you could create something like this it would amazing. I'd worry that it would have to be soft enough that if it falls or gets moved or displaced it wouldn't prevent you from turning. It could kill someone - sport riding around up in the mountains, go to turn left before a hairpin, it won't turn and you fly off the side of the mountain. Be careful with this. 🙂

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, Chromedome said:

I never did this. But if you could create something like this it would amazing. I'd worry that it would have to be soft enough that if it falls or gets moved or displaced it wouldn't prevent you from turning. It could kill someone - sport riding around up in the mountains, go to turn left before a hairpin, it won't turn and you fly off the side of the mountain. Be careful with this. 🙂

You make a very good point m8, and I was thinking along the same lines myself. All it would take would be for it to move a small amount and it could prevent the front from turning.

Perhaps I should remove the "legs" and just have it as a front spoiler only. But even then, it could shift, under wind pressure at speed.

How is yours attached? I was planning to use duck tape, but then I also have some aviation metal-tape which is quite strong.

Perhaps the secret would be to use a pliable material that would not prevent forks turning but would still interrupt the flow of air.

• Member Contributer

Well, originally I had put that microswirl trim under there, facing the back, closest to the radiator. I then just cut some cardboard and taped it and it made a spoiler. It made a big difference. If I were to do it again I'd make the spoiler steeper. The cardboard has since come off due to the rain and for a while I think I used the trim only. I haven't ridden much in a long time and what little riding I've done is on my ZX-9R. You saw the picture of the cardboard spoiler I made? It's in that other thread I linked to.

https://saeng.com/product/micro-swirl-trim/

22 hours ago, Skids said:

I went ahead and started my own. Need to transfer it to something more solid then see about attaching it then trialling it.

IMAG1269.jpg

You could 3d print something like this quite easily. Out of TPU (soft and rubbery) if that suits....

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, rtho782 said:

You could 3d print something like this quite easily. Out of TPU (soft and rubbery) if that suits....

I could, yes.

Only one problem......

56 minutes ago, Skids said:

I could, yes.

Only one problem......

Ha, I could 3d print something like that for you, I'll have a go once my bike returns and I have something to measure it against.

• Member Contributer
8 minutes ago, rtho782 said:

Ha, I could 3d print something like that for you, I'll have a go once my bike returns and I have something to measure it against.

I could send you the template in the post or you could make your own/better version?

Archived