Fuel tank lock barrel won't move

Tomcat03

First of all this is my fault. I parked my 03 VFR covered in the corner of the shop a 4 years ago while renovating the retirement house. Those being mostly done I decided it's time to pay attention to the VFR and wouldn't you know it, I uncovered the fuel tank key access and it's covered in white crud and the key barrel won't move. Soaked it liberally in penetrating oil for days and still nothing, key will only go half way in despite gentle tapping. Tried removing the entire filler assembly and while it's loose something is preventing removal and I don't want to force it.

Anyone have any thoughts before I drill out the barrel?

In my case not the barrel but latch itself was frozen solid. I removed the fuel pump and made long reach tool to access latch spur. It finally gave up after evening of banging. Mind this was done on SV1000. After cleaning up white death I was able to reuse all fuel cap components. 

Fuel pump thingies have to be played with in order to remove.

The latch appears to be free. I haven't removed the tank to see if the fuel pump is bottom mounted like our R6. Guess I'd better get a service manual to figure out what's possible. I know something's preventing the preventing the fuel cap assembly from coming out easily... Hmm?

I had a similar issue - but mine was corroded on the inside from letting it sit too long.  The key doesn't go down as far as you might think.  I had already removed my fuel pump, so using a flash light I was able to see the latch from the underside. Mine was covered in white corrosion on the bottom.  A few suggestions:

1.) With the key in the slot, put a finishing sander or similar (no sandpaper) against the key and let it vibrate to see it that loosens up the mechanism.

2.) You may need to remove the fuel pump - but it is not easy to work everything through the small opening and you may damage some of the rubber components while removing it. All the parts are replaceable and readily available if needed.

3.) Once you get the fuel pump out, you can use a long screwdriver to chip away the corrosion on the bottom side until the latch will turn.

4.) Once the latch turns and you can remove the entire lock mechanism, you will be able to give it a good cleaning and even file the latches if necessary to make it work like new.

Hope this helps!  

Archived