Honda Africa Twin

• Member Contributer

Who's got one?  I think my next vehicle is likely a Tesla because California, but I am curious about the Africa Twin.  Seems like there are a lot of places in the southwest I could go!

Need to get back into riding in general so this is not a near term thing, but I am far more interested in this kind of bike than either trailering dirt bikes or getting another sportbike type of ride.  Not interested in doing big jumps or other dirt bike things either, I already have that kind of fun on big coil sprung free ride mountain bikes 😄

• Member Contributer

Buddy of mine has a 2018 model. He ranks it as possibly the best bike he's owned, he's 64 and ridden bikes since he was 16. Typical Honda excellent build quality. Interesting it comes with Lithium Ion battery as standard HY110. Plenty of power and great on reasonable quality dirt roads.

DSC00084.JPG

As an alternative, how about the Halfrica Twin? The CB500X is huge fun on and off road. Its not better at either but a great deal less to throw around. Not as comfy for all day highway riding as the AT but I don't do that anyway. If the road is straight, it was made for four wheels. I'm pretty sure I'm faster on the CB than on the VFR. I've become a fan of Less is More.

• Member Contributer
6 hours ago, Sweeper said:

As an alternative, how about the Halfrica Twin? The CB500X is huge fun on and off road. Its not better at either but a great deal less to throw around. Not as comfy for all day highway riding as the AT but I don't do that anyway. If the road is straight, it was made for four wheels. I'm pretty sure I'm faster on the CB than on the VFR. I've become a fan of Less is More.

That is pretty interesting.  I'm kind of looking at the halfway bikes between that and the Africa Twin too.  If KTM had a bit better rep for reliability, the Adventure 890 would probably be it.  

I sat on an Africa Twin in a local shop the other day and was surprised how big it is.  I knew it was, but wow.  That being said, I am thinking longer distances to get to trails in places like the Sierra Nevadas (many hours from San Diego) or neighboring states so it would be pretty good for that, while still carrying 9+ inches of suspension.

Archived