Over Fuelling 2002 - Won't Start!

BSR67

Hi All,

New here. Purchased a 2002 VFR800 yesterday as a project - definitely needs love. The seller thought is may have been re-mapped - it's very thirsty apparently and smells of fuel strongly on start up.

So, I've started and stopped it quite a few times today, and then this evening it will not start at all and smells strongly of fuel.

I pulled the air box lid off and can see fuel sitting in the inlets - it is that flooded out.

I do wonder whether the 're-map' piece is a red herring. Is there some form of automatic choke that is sticking on? Is there a Fuel Pressure Regulator issue? 

Hopefully, it's something simple.

Thoughts appreciated.

Thanks

BSR67 

• Member Contributer

Is fuel in the inlets of cylinders 3 and 4, the two R/H side cylinders? 

You probably have a ruptured Fuel Pressure Regulator diaphragm. Check for fuel in the vacuum hose or weeping fuel from the FPR vacuum connection.

• Member Contributer

6th gen ECUs don't get remapped, some sort of module is plugged in to alter fueling,  often a power commander or more commonly now Rapid Bike. Those will end up positioned under the seat. The other little jewel that has caused some owners headaches with overfueling has been the "Booster Plug".  On the right side of the airbox there are 2 large round connectors - see if there is anything plugged in to them. That's where the aforementioned modules plug in.  If that's all factory to factory wiring then your fueling should be factory stock. 

• Member Contributer

Bad FPR will also result in too much fuel. Its purpose is to adjust fuel-pressure based upon load (engine vacuum). At all operating zones other than WOT, it reduces fuel-pressure. So bad, failed one would not adjust and send too much pressure to injectors.

From description of ailments, sounds like FPR is culprit.

• Member Contributer
46 minutes ago, BSR67 said:

Does anyone have the Honda part number

thx

16740-MCW-013.

So did you check it and verify its leaking, or are you just getting a new one on spec??

I’ve not had the opportunity to check it in detail yet - was working in fading light last night when I discovered the issue. 

Will be investigating later. 

What is the test procedure?

Thanks for the part number. 

BSR67

• Member Contributer
25 minutes ago, BSR67 said:

I’ve not had the opportunity to check it in detail yet - was working in fading light last night when I discovered the issue. 

Will be investigating later. 

What is the test procedure?

Thanks for the part number. 

BSR67

Think you should download the Service Manual from this site if you don't already have one.

No real test procedure if its leaking, you should see it, fit a newy and your done.

7 hours ago, Grum said:

Think you should download the Service Manual from this site if you don't already have one.

No real test procedure if its leaking, you should see it, fit a newy and your done.

Hi

Thanks - I have downloaded.

I've check the FPR and the vacuum hose is dry. Suspect it may be OK.

I've taken the air box off entirely and there was a disconnected socket off the MAP circuit that goes to the breather hoses at the back of the airbox.

Worse, I have read all stored codes:

8 - TP Sensor

9 - IAT sensor

11 - Wheel Speed Sensor - engine will run

12 - Injector 1

13 - Injector 2

14 - Injector 3

15 - Injector 4 

12-15 the bike will not run.

I have my work cut out with this one ......

Going to delve into the manual.

Thanks 

BSR67

• Member Contributer

Strong smell of fuel and no fire suggest no spark... first I'd pull a spark plug cap and insert a spare spark plug to test for spark... also employing a screw to block a vacuum hose still allows air to bleed pass the threads... take an spare O ring to size and cut a section out and insert into the hose to block 100% of the air...  

Archived