Center stand removal

chutta

My '14 coming with front and rear Dynamoto stands, I see not much use to the center stand once I master their usage safely. Is it true that the exhaust has to be removed to ditch the ctr stand?

• Member Contributer
5 hours ago, chutta said:

My '14 coming with front and rear Dynamoto stands, I see not much use to the center stand once I master their usage safely. Is it true that the exhaust has to be removed to ditch the ctr stand?

Yes! 

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, VFR78 said:

Plenty of use for the centre stand when you’re on a tour and need to repair/replace a tyre.

And for chain maintenance . . . 

• Member Contributer
On 4/25/2021 at 6:04 PM, chutta said:

Thanx for the reminders of the maintenance issues. A reasonable tradeoff for the stand scraping first

I guess it depends on what you use the bike for. If track days are your thing, then the stand should probably come off. If you use the bike for sport  touring, it should probably stay on.

Yes, now I have the gear necessary for track days other than needing a new front tire. After watching 2 crash within 20 minutes at the end of the main straight at Grattan in the expert class, my thoughts at partaking dim at the prospect of bashing my VFR at 66 years old

• Member Contributer

For track days, you can zip tie the center stand to the frame so it does not bounce around (mine just hit the ground in a turn while hitting a bump, I hate that). The weight saving without the c-stand is negligible. 

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, Wald said:

For track days, you can zip tie the center stand to the frame so it does not bounce around (mine just hit the ground in a turn while hitting a bump, I hate that). The weight saving without the c-stand is negligible. 

And it's weight that is well below the bike's center of gravity,  so it has little effect on handling.

• Member Contributer
7 hours ago, chutta said:

Yes, now I have the gear necessary for track days other than needing a new front tire. After watching 2 crash within 20 minutes at the end of the main straight at Grattan in the expert class, my thoughts at partaking dim at the prospect of bashing my VFR at 66 years old

I’m booked in for a track day in October and I’ll be 69 then. Starting to think I’ve lost my marbles. Crashing the Viffer would be heartbreaking, crashing a 69 year old body might be more permanent.

• Member Contributer

You will be only on paper 69! In your mind you will be as old as you decide to be!

A good friend of mine is 74 and still does crazy mountain bike rides and still crashing once in a while but it does not stop him (now with the help of a monster e-bike he still kicks a**!)

!!!live before you die!!!

• Member Contributer
12 hours ago, VFR78 said:

I’m booked in for a track day in October and I’ll be 69 then. Starting to think I’ve lost my marbles. Crashing the Viffer would be heartbreaking, crashing a 69 year old body might be more permanent.

Good on ya VFR78 I'm not far behind you.....in age that is. Enjoy the track day, don't worry, you're no doubt wise enought to keep things in check, just don't over stretch that throttle cable ya hear!

Cheers.:fing02::wheel:

• 5 months later...
  • Member Contributer
On 4/29/2021 at 7:54 AM, chutta said:

In reading thru this thread, I see I'm in good company!  I'll click over 68 next month.  A big hurrah to all you guys still charging hard out there, regardless of the date on your drivers license!! 

• Member Contributer

I'll bet the median age and even the average on this forum is over 50.   Not many millenial riders even know what a VFR is. 

• Member Contributer
On 4/30/2021 at 8:35 PM, VFR78 said:

Hopefully the red mist stays in the garage!

Finally, after inclement weather and COVID lockdown, I managed to get my coached Track Day done, at the very tight Luddenham NSW course. Plenty of foot scraping, but not a sign of the centre stand hitting. The very long foot peg feelers give you plenty of warning. Getting your bum of the seat and your shoulders over, keeps everything safe.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/15/2021 at 9:47 PM, Cogswell said:

I'll bet the median age and even the average on this forum is over 50.   Not many millenial riders even know what a VFR is. 

Hence, the VFR status as Yammy Noob's #1 Dorkmobile!

• Member Contributer

FWIW, I happen to have my c-stand off at the moment - weighed it at 3.2 pounds.  If the spring and bracket, bolts and collars used to mount it are added, I'd guess the total would be in the range of 3 1/2.  That's surprisingly little considering how much it supports when in use! 

Archived