Hi from Scotland, rubber protectors?

Hi from a newbie.

Last weekend I bought my first VFR, a 1997 750. It seems like a great bike.

I have begun the usual process of cleaning it up and getting to know it better. When I took the fuel tank off, I noticed it was missing the rubber protectors so I ordered some.

It's fairly obvious where the ones on the right go, but what about the two little pads on the left? Part 23 on the schematics, 81214-MW0-300. They seem to be sticky on both sides. Does anyone know where they go?

Thank you.

DSC01052.JPG

DSC01053.JPG

• Member Contributer

Hi Bowf!

Them sticky pads (must admit, I never saw them before and I've owned a 750 since 1997....)  are probably meant to stop the blocks from falling off when lifting the tank.

Them wee b'stards have a tendency to roll away to where you never find them :laugh:

New to you VFR?

1st port of call is the electrical system. Inspect the connectors between generator and voltage regulator. Then then the red/green in front of the battery (holding the 30A fuse and start relay).   Whip out your multimeter and do "The Drill" to verify genenator output (Vac) and volgage regulator (Vdc).

Verify the large nut on the rear wheel hub is staked and off you go to ride the bonny, bonny banks of Loch Lomond!  (be aware of truck coming round the corner :laugh:)

Cheers Dutchy, that makes sense as they are exactly the same length as the blocks. The blocks have their own little adhesive strip beneath the red tear-off strip but maybe that alone is not considered strong enough.

Thanks for the electrical advice. Do you have a link to this "drill"? The bike seems to have had the r/r replaced.

• Member Contributer

1 hour ago, Bowf said:

Do you have a link to this "drill"?

Electrical advice starts right here: https://www.vfrdiscussion.com/index.php?/forums/forum/7-electrical/

Honda was diligent enough to maintain its dodgy charging system through several generations, so some of the links are not specifically for your fourth generation.

4 hours ago, Dutchy said:

Verify the large nut on the rear wheel hub is staked

...And this is a good idea. It'll only take a second. Bad electrics might keep you sitting by the side of the road. A missing back wheel might make you part of the road. 😬

Have fun!

• Member Contributer

Welcome to the asylum Bowf. We'all would love to see some pictures of your machine to verify you are not a figment of our imagination.

Haha, well it's just a red one, nothing special, but I will post some photos in a day or two. Please remind me if I forget. If this one had been available at the time I'd have bought it instead - I absolutely love the colour scheme:

May be an image of motorcycle and outdoors

My bike came with a full Givi wingrack which I have removed and is for sale along with the panniers and topbox if wanted (UK only). PM me if interested. I think soft luggage is more suitable for my needs.

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, Bowf said:

Haha, well it's just a red one, nothing special, but I will post some photos in a day or two. Please remind me if I forget. If this one had been available at the time I'd have bought it instead - I absolutely love the colour scheme:

May be an image of motorcycle and outdoors

My bike came with a full Givi wingrack which I have removed and is for sale along with the panniers and topbox if wanted (UK only). PM me if interested. I think soft luggage is more suitable for my needs.

Nice color match with them bins!! :laugh:

The RC36-2 I picked up last year came with a GIVI rack and 2 cases; sold it for something line €250 to a Swiss guy...

Wherabouts in Scotland are you?  I lived/worked in South Queensfery/Edinburgh (aye, all fur coats and nae knickers....:beer:) during 1989-1993...

• Member Contributer

Knockhill eh?

This is 1990 methink

image.png.a31ba95509fd209b82ab1cebafaea264.png

Note the high-tech barrier!

image.png.6f14bb1a5de174e8cd4ff0b2be78669e.png

My K100RS got stolen prior to me moving to Scotland. So each time I spotted one, I'd stop and look for the tell tale marks on mine... :laugh:

Archived