VFR1200F DCT 2013 won't go in gear

rtho782

As per title, bike starts fine, but won't go into D, just a blinking - on the dash, which seems to sometimes blink at different rates but no real pattern to it.

Much putting it on the stand, taking it off, turning it off, turning it on, etc for 10+ mins, can get it in gear, and then it rides fine until you stop and take it out of gear.

Any pointers at all? I was thinking maybe it was the sidestand sensor, but then I'd have expected it to conk out at traffic lights and refuse to come back on if it was that sensitive.

Really not sure where to start :/

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting, so there is no check engine light, just bar is flashing where drive mode is displayed? There is no side stand sensor, just simple switch. Have you look at it at all? Loose connection, pinched wire etc?

• Member Contributer

The Africa Twin forum has at least this one thread on that issue, below.  Seemingly nothing definitive, though one owner claims to have rectified the problem by replacing the battery.  Maybe search around more about that issue with A.T.'s and see what comes up.  CTX700's also came with DCT, maybe search there too.

https://www.africatwinforum.com/threads/dct-wont-go-into-drive-mode.25682/

7 hours ago, Magneto said:

Interesting, so there is no check engine light, just bar is flashing where drive mode is displayed? There is no side stand sensor, just simple switch. Have you look at it at all? Loose connection, pinched wire etc?

Yup, no check engine light, just not goingin gear.

The D/S switch is not dodgy, it will happily switch between D and S if I get it in gear and going.

The side stand switch seems to be one pretty self contained unit so it's hard to see much, I will see if I can get to it today.

Having just remembered the bike has a warranty on it, it seems like I might be able to get it sorted, except they only cover up to £45/hr labour, and my local honda dealer want £108 (?!?!?) so not sure that will help.

I guess only honda will really have a clue about a DCT as well right?

1 hour ago, rtho782 said:

I've just taken the sidestand switch apart and both open circuit and short circuit, no change.

That is good. Now you have to determine what ECU sees, just because you have determined switch is working fine doesn’t  mean ECU see it that way. 

As far as dealer shop goes, call the insurance and see if they have affiliated shops on their list that can fix Honda. Calling those shops about DTC would be next.

Nope, they don't have a list of approved repairers, did ask, just a £45/hr cap.

My local non-honda (but Kawasaki and Yamaha and Suzuki) main dealer is £60/hr, but probably won't have the kit to diagnose a honda bike, and wherever it goes, I have to somehow get it there....

• Member Contributer
31 minutes ago, rtho782 said:

I was about to buy a service manual from Helm but....

image.png.47514c33c0c71fa2887e8e8fa7658d5d.png

It seems that's not really viable outside the US.

You can download the factory manual for free on the forum, here:

https://www.vfrdiscussion.com/index.php?/files/file/158-honda-vfr-1200f-service-manual/

3 minutes ago, Cogswell said:

You can download the factory manual for free on the forum, here:

https://www.vfrdiscussion.com/index.php?/files/file/158-honda-vfr-1200f-service-manual/

Yeah, but that doesn't cover the DCT model unfortunately!!

Obviously most of it is the same, but this is a DCT fault so...

• Member Contributer
11 minutes ago, rtho782 said:

Yeah, but that doesn't cover the DCT model unfortunately!!

Obviously most of it is the same, but this is a DCT fault so...

Well, shame on Honda for omitting that!  Maybe this is another option - looks like maybe a separate manual for it - or maybe just overall a separate manual - possibly Honda considered it a "different model" - could be downloaded without the ridiculous shipping fee.  DCT is listed as one of the chapters.  Full disclosure - I've never used this website, found it on a search. 

https://servicemanualwarehouse.com/honda-2015-vfr-1200-interceptor-dct-service-manual/

image.png.fce48784af07a960d3e32f8f7d6a37ea.png

• Member Contributer

It's with Honda in Bury St Edmunds. Apparently throwing a lot of fault codes, the main most relevant one being about a "shift control motor".

They are next going to spend approx 3 hours stripping it, and are expecting either a lose connection (yay, no further cost), a broken shift control motor (unknown cost right now) or a broken ECU module, cost £lots.

Remind me why I bought a DCT? lol....

• Member Contributer
3 hours ago, rtho782 said:

It's with Honda in Bury St Edmunds.....

🥺

They're the ones who lost one of the oil o-ring collars in the head of my 6th Gen during a 16k service. For weeks, bike appeared to burn oil unexpectedly and sprayed the guys riding behind.

I finally managed to find it buried down one of the oil wells in the head. Luckily, it didn't lodge anywhere else or cause a catastrophic failure.

I sent a strong letter with photos.....and received nothing back from them. Admittedly, that was 10 years ago.

1.jpg

37 minutes ago, Skids said:

For weeks, bike appeared to burn oil unexpectedly and sprayed the guys riding behind.

Admittedly, that was 10 years ago.

Wow!, was that really 10 years ago!

I remember the smell of oil, following you coming back from one of Ibbo's rideouts.

I still have the same 800Fi

Ha typical!

I have had issues with Lings Honda in Ipswich previously and they are £129/hr so.... No.

I figured for a dct problem it basically needed to go to honda.

Hopefully the technician that did your vfr800 has now retired!!!

Archived