VFR1200F DCT 2013 won't go in gear

rtho782

• Member Contributer

Photograph and video everything then put it away …. then contact the AA vehicle inspection team and book an appointment 

They'll give you an engineers report to use against the SBF 

OR just let SBF that the AA are getting involved and see where that leads

I assume you have trading standards involved?

AA inspection is £142 for basic and £190 for detailed if that helps https://www.theaa.com/vehicle-inspection/

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Skids said:

I'd be tempted to ask for a full refund and go look for another one. ☹️

That's what I'm now asking for, but obviously I'd lose out on all the money I've spent on upgrades (Seat, suspension, etc)

This is actually starting to put me off motorbikes in general. If this one goes, I won't be getting another one of these. Finding post 2012 DCT bikes is a nightmare anyway/

• Member Contributer
4 hours ago, VFR78 said:

Nooo! Don’t give up on bikes.

What he said. 

Superbike factory's head of retail was supposed to call me today, of course I have heard nothing.

Submitted the bike details to we buy any bike, as I mean, at this point what else am I supposed to do with it?

Even Honda don't seem to have any ideas on what to change/replace/look at next. Honda UK customer service is useless.

I used to have the same problem with my ctx700 dct. Purchase the bike without working gears. It wouldnt go to D with check engine light+abs light on. After doing self diagnostic with the service manual it leads to fault in the PCM. Took the bike to Honda dealer so they can run their diagnostic tool and confirmed its the PCM fault. I've got tempted to get used PCM from US (100$) despite the different serial number and naturally it didnt work. Then finally got used Euro PCM + HISS + all locks and keys for 450Euro and gears worked first time with all warning lights off. The bike was 3yo with 9000km. I even called Honda Italy where the bike was originally purchased and they told me that they have replaced the PCM already at 5000km under waranty.  So as it turns out not reliable peace of engineering. 
Doing self diagnostic with the SM can tell you if its the shift control motor, or any of the solenoids, side stand etc.
Oh! Something else I've discovere is that I could still used the non-HISS ECU that I initially bought, what I've only needed to do is to feed 12V to the only empty pin on the plug I didnt notice it at first as they are a lot of wires like 50 or 60. That empty pin 'tells' the ECU that the HISS is 'okay to go' or this way you simply bypass it and wont have HISS anymore but hey its 6 times less expensive ECU.
Troubles with that DCT module made me give up on auto boxes, but its such nice having auto, next bike I bought is a 1200D now with granaded engine. I'm also so close to give up on everything. I need to spend 1/3 of what I've paid for the bike to get used engine, probably only to get faulty PCM later. Its a fantastic bike, but seriously unreliable.

151503116_3617334825053014_5035933964825582143_n.jpg

• Member Contributer

The sidestand point is a very good one. If the stand is down, is DCT reaction function to not go in to gear and leave engine running or will it stop the motor as with manual shift bike?  

While DCT is interesting technology and can be appealing, it does introduce added complexity.  Its failures surprise me coming from Honda. I've also seen it on their quad side by sides, so is becoming more common. 

BTW, so no hope of repairing the original crankshaft? 

So, Superbike Factory called me yesterday and were very apologetic (although that doesn't change the fact that they took over 8 weeks to not repair my bike).

The ECU has already been changed, new keys coded, no difference. The sidestand switch was the first thing I looked at and tested myself before it even went to a garage.

The diagnosis attached shows were they got to and pointed the finger to the ECU, but this has not changed anything. It seems next step is to change the shift control motor, P/N 31300-KVZ-631.

It's going back to SBF tomorrow, and hopefully I am getting a loan bike. Will find out for sure tonight what is going on.

diagnosis.pdf

Annnnd they didn't call me tonight as agreed. I suppose it was too much to hope for.

I'm erring towards refund on this now. I honestly give up, and after over 3 months it's having a significant effect on my mental health.

• Member Contributer

ECU like all computers are dumb. At mercy of data input; garbage in = garbage out. There are multiple sensors inside gearbox that sends data to ECU. Could be adjustment issue, or something's bent mechanically and not triggering sensors properly.

When troubleshooting no-start conditions on many bikes & autos, I would use dual-channel oscilloscope to look at crank & cam-sensor signals. Independently, they'd look perfect. But taken together, there may be an offset. This would confuse ECU and it refuses to start engine.

Honda has breakout box that can be plugged in-line with ECU to test all terminals. Wouldn't be too hard to check state of ALL sensors simultaneously too see if one of them went rogue.

There really may be mechanical issue at bottom of this.

• 2 weeks later...

The bike came back today.

Complete contrast from last time, the bike is gleaming, the brakes feel like they have just been serviced, the handbrake actually works (never bothered using it before anyway lol), and most importantly the bike goes into gear and, you know, rides!!

SBF even replaced the battery, which I wouldn't have expected them to do (I was aware it was on it's way out, it had been sat for 4m after all).

I think in the end it was the servo that puts it into gear (which had been tested by Honda but, who knows what happened) 31300-KVZ-631 that fixed it.

This whole process has been an emotional journey, but, we've reached the end and I finally have a motorbike and nothing else matters :DD

• Member Contributer

Some good news at last. Good luck and hope it's the last issue you ever have with the bike and that dealership.

Enjoy your ride.:fing02:

• Member Contributer

Excellent news. 

Now go out and ride the nuts off it. 

Archived