Fuel pump change

JulienL

Hello,

I come from France and in our country there is a "garage specialized" in motorcycle, which imports a lot of innovations and which worked with another company to bring out a box of conversion to ethanol specifically intended for the motorcycle.
After asking around, the garage in question (thornbikes) warns that the pumps on some VFR800 and VFR1200 models are fragile. This is a known problem for Honda and I would like to know if you think it is possible to change the pump by a stronger one, which provides a bigger flow.

Merci !

Bon Jour ..............

VFR 800  does not have a fragile fuel pump to my knowledge. 

I am sure if it has someone else will be along in a minute and contribute .

Ethanol is bad for rubber fuel hoses and plastic tanks. Motorcycles like Aprilia which have a specific type of fuel hose inside their tanks, the ethanol eats it and you get pump failure . 

Many bikes now also have plastic fuel tanks. The ethanol causes them to swell up and when you remove them for servicing you cannot get the tanks back on . All you can do is remove the tank, drain the fuel and stick it in your airing cupboard to let the tank dry out and hopefully shrink back.

But to answer your question I am not aware of any issue with the vfr fuel pumps and certainly never heard of them being weak or having an inherent problem .

Archived