Tire question: Does anybody run Conti Motion on a 3+4 gen VFR?

Wald

• Member Contributer

My 4th gen came with Shinko Verge 11 tires, which are O.K. (very smooth at lean angle just not quick enough in directional transitions)

I am wondering how the handling will change with the Conti Motion tires.

I run the Conti Motion on my 06 Honda 599 (Hornet) and they perform really good. Handling and agility is almost telepathic up to 50 MPH in the twisties (surprisingly, they stick as good as Michelin PP CT2 in cold weather conditions)

Any comments? Experiences? Thanks

PS: I do not care how long they last as long these perform.

• Member Contributer

Have them on my ‘96, only a few dry rides so far but they seem fine, maybe a bit quicker profile than Michelin’s. Seem agile on turn in/lean..

I ran Conti Motions on the rear of my 6th gen at least a couple times.  They performed well enough for me, but I'm not that fast a rider.  Tread life wasn't the greatest, but I'm a heavy rider and travel with a loaded bike a couple times per year, so 5-6k miles probably wasn't too bad.

• Member Contributer

The 91 VFR I bought in England in 2015 came with a fresh set of Conti Motions.

Not my first choice of tires, but I gave them a go. 

Between Oct. and May of the following year they performed better than my preconceived opinions of them.

Good enough when it was wet, capable when dry, not so good in the cold. 

• Member Contributer

Thanks FromMaine, this is exactly the same reason I got to use the Conti Motion, came on the bike mounted new in the front and a half worn PP CT2 in the back. So I thought, I put a Conti Motion in the back and shred them both at the same time. However, they stick pretty well on the 600 Hornet (98HP) I guess my experience with good traction in cold weather is related to much less torque on the I4 Honda in the mid range versus the VFR. The VFR came with the Shinko Verge, which are pretty OK, it takes longer to warm up and I am still learning the bike (first V4 and only had it for a month)

• Member Contributer

Hello,

I haven’t run conti motions on a 3rd or 4th Gen but have run a couple of sets on a 6th Gen fully loaded down with side bags top box and camping gear for a 10 day adventure.  These budget tires were up to the task.  Very capable sport touring tires for a person on a budget.  

• Member Contributer

Thanks panamawing, I think I will give it a shot. I still have to burn down the Shinko's which are not that bad, actually.

• 6 months later...

If you are considering running Conti Motion on a 3+4 gen VFR, then here are some things that you should consider before doing so. The first thing is that the handling will change drastically. The CBR1000RR will have a lot more lean angle, but it will also have a lot more front end grip. The bike will become very difficult to handle on the track without a lot of experience. The second thing is that the bike will have a lot more front end feel since it will have so much more grip. Lastly, the bike will have a lot of weight over the front wheel, so cornering will be more difficult. I hope this is the answer of your motorcycle tire questions.

• 1 month later...

As I am A Dunlop user through and through, burn ‘em (don’t push them) up till you have money to buy the combo sets of sportmax roadsmarts. 2’s , 3’s… it doesn’t matter. They are THE BEST tires I’ve used. Long term road use at high speeds. Or low speeds. Cool weather, warm, and wet… I consistantly get 11k out of a set. Thats bagged up, tank, seat, sides, and pillion as well. They seem to handle, or are manufactured, for our heavier sport touring rides. I like to ‘feel confident’ about hard riding, and these tires make that possible. 

• Member Contributer

11k is nuts. I've been running RSII for years, but get 2k-3.5k out of a rear and 4.2k-5.5k out of a front. Of course, I'm running around on one knee or the other...they really are impressive for ST tires.

• Member Contributer

I hope Wald got his tires back in April because Revzilla doesn't have any in stock and STG has no fronts and limited rear sizes.  I didn't check anywhere else, but if those companies can't get them, they may not be available anywhere.   

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, tbzep said:

I hope Wald got his tires back in April because Revzilla doesn't have any in stock and STG has no fronts and limited rear sizes.  I didn't check anywhere else, but if those companies can't get them, they may not be available anywhere.   

Thanks for the reminder. I put a Conti sport Attack on the front last summer and did not like it at all. Had almost a tank slapper at approx 45mph several times and did not like the turn in. Perhaps something wrong with the tire, which I do not believe. Had it balanced 4 times on different machines and manually. Put a new Shinke Verge011 back on and everything went back to normal (very little shimmy at 42mph which I can tolerate even freehands) New Shinko in the back since September.  I think I am god until June or so. However, it might be a good idea to get a fresh set and put it in the basement just in case.

Archived