Hello all!

I recently bought a 95' VFR750 basket case with the intensions on having a fun daily driver and to knock a bike off of my bucket list of 'bikes to own'. After purchasing it and getting into my garage to give an in depth look over, the thing is in VERY rough shape. The bike is in pieces (hence basket case) with every electrical connection disconnected from it's original place and no service history or proof of actual mileage. The wiring has been hacked up and eaten up by mice it looks like, over the years of sitting, and after pulling the plugs I found oil on them, one heavier than the others, which concerns me. Below are some pics of the bike after it was unloaded from the truck. 

0415211824a.thumb.jpg.1bcc263120744d7357956a73e0e57748.jpg

0415211824b.thumb.jpg.4c1ecac4693a144b0189a5aebf7e078f.jpg

0415211824c.thumb.jpg.25e4e7cb748d2e614df12a030f4f86b8.jpg

0415211824d.thumb.jpg.c5082d100c726c4a7698b0973fb41584.jpg

0415211824e.thumb.jpg.3e3574d303df921f065771ab6dff19b1.jpg

I got discouraged after the in depth inspection of the condition of the bike, but after looking into several threads by other members, I am confident I may be able to get this one at least running/ road worthy. The title is bonded so not too worried about returning to stock or making anything pristine, so my plans are to make it into a 'street fighter', 'naked' build. 

My first trial with the 'Disaster' was trying to see if it would at least crank with the battery provided after having it sit on the tender over night. That did nothing... but keeping in mind the battery hadn't been used in 4-5 years along with the rest of the bike I wasn't too concerned. I then ripped a battery out of my other bike and tried that, and got nothing. After a night of more thread reading and a further look at the manual I had another set of things to check the next day.

So this morning I checked the main connections to the battery, 30 amp fuse and starter relay.. that's when I found this.. 

0417211141.thumb.jpg.2e4b49c789b6b5c97186b7d3a06ee691.jpg0417211141_HDR.thumb.jpg.68aa8afe600ba8b6227754e26080403d.jpg

After some short video tutorials on wire/ connector repair, and keeping my VERY small budget in mind, I decided to try and salvage/ repair the existing burnt up connectors the best I could to see if I could at lease get the bike to crank. I made the below repair, using my cheap Radio Shack soldering iron I purchased several years ago, but it gave out on me halfway through the joint. So that's where I'm at, I'll purchase a new soldering iron tomorrow and get to work repairing the rest of the connectors and wires as much as I can. 

0417211354.thumb.jpg.22f51e625504dd0d2a895945c21acb48.jpg

The community surrounding these bikes seems pretty amazing, so I'm looking forward to anyone willing to offer advice and insights and seeing if I can keep another viffer on the road. 

• Member Contributer

Welcome to VFRD from across the pond :beer:

My bet is that once you fixed that burned connector you are half way there.  Hook her up to a car battery and see if she'll fire up. Fit a voltmeter to see what the generator and voltage regulator put out.

Once she fired up, I'd chance oil/filter and start going through "the drill" and hydraulics.  Been there, done that...

As long as you did not pay more than a couple C-notes, you can only win! (in terms of fun with a V4, not resale!)

• Member Contributer

Hi Brandon.

Welcome to the forum and good luck with the 95 VFR750 resto.

The burnt up connector you're holding is the Stator output 3phase wires joining to the R/R. Best to just neatly solder and sleeve this wires together - problem solved!

A battery sat idle for 4-5 years will be shot to pieces.

Your Starter Circuit should look something like this - See Attached.

So to get your Starter to crank over you can simply short out the two main Starter Terminals with a screwdriver or similar MAKE SURE BIKE IS IN NEUTRAL.

OR via the normal wiring method - As you can see, the two starter coil wires are the Yellow/Red being the Positive seeking side and the Green/Red being the Ground seeking side.

So if you're in Neutral you need to have a good Neutral Switch, and good Clutch Diode to satisfy the Green/Red wire. You also need to have a good 30a Main Fuse, a good Ignition Switch, good 10a Sub Fuse, good Starter Switch and good Stop Switch (in RUN mode) to satisfy the Yellow/Red wire. Along with all the associated wiring of the above devices.

Hope this helps.

VFR750_Starter.JPG

• Member Contributer

Check out Cycle Terminal for replacement connectors and terminals (they're not expensive).  Welcome and good luck!

Ciao,

JZH

Thank you every one for the replies!! @Grum, I took your advise and just directly connected the 3 yellow wires together to simplify the repair. I also went through the 'main' wiring for the stuff that makes the bike run and repaired all the hack jobs/ mice damage I saw. I also found some blue tape and thought it was more 'work' from the PO, but the seem to be OE solutions (see second pic). I'll leave those alone for now. 

0418211417_HDR.thumb.jpg.df0aafadde8792d6b43661181af3961a.jpg0418211444.thumb.jpg.39a7a3775599a9affe4c6de7e8609ca9.jpg

After I was satisfied with the condition of the wiring I had been working on, I moved to the front of the bike to address the ignition switch that the PO had put in place of the keyed ignition because he lost the key to the bike. Cleaned the switch up and checked the fuses up front, had to replace a blown ignition fuse. After that, I again took the advice of @Grum and @Dutchy and hooked the bike up to my cars battery and shorted the starter wires to see if it would even crank... and viola!!! At this point I was feeling VERY good about my self and got most of the connectors hooked up, including a disconnected neutral safety switch. I then tried the bike with the starter switch and it turned over from there as well!! 

0418211514.thumb.jpg.53e1a6602f53c03c46bf84bea48ae607.jpg

I then moved on to see if the bike had spark and hooked up all the coil packs and tested each spark plug... all 4 had spark, things were looking good. I threw the dirty plugs in that I did my best to cleanup, and sprayed some carb cleaner in the air stacks, just to see. It almost roared to life but needed a more consistent fuel flow. I grabbed the beat up tank I was given with the bike with some left over gas in it and gravity fed the bike. I tried for about 10 minutes to get the thing to fire up with no luck. I did get it to putter a bit and it sounded healthy (other than the carbs pissing gas everywhere, probably due to open drain screws that I didn't check prior to starting) I called it a day after that. This week I'll take the carbs off and give them a quick inspection/ clean and go from there. 

I'm beyond excited to almost have the bike running a this point and can't wait to see what's going on inside the carbs. I don't intend to keep the current ignition switch in place, nor do I plan on keeping the old rotten plugs or anything else for that matter on the bike if I'm able to get it running reliably. I'm still seeing if the bike is salvageable, mechanically speaking before throwing any new parts at it.  

Will spend tonight researching carb rebuild videos/ threads. Again, thanks everyone!!

• Member Contributer

Wahey!!! :beer:

Now you feel embolded, open up the hydraulic reservoirs!  Best done with a JIS screwdriver. Be careful as them tiny bolts are quite soft...

Keep an impact driver at hand.

• Member Contributer

What a mess! Those Green wires you are holding are Ground wires. That unconnected Blue/Orange at the Ignition Switch is the cooling fan power normally switched to ON via a proper Ignition Switch, it then goes to feed Fuse G Fan Fuse.

Oh man, that's a project! Great to hear that it's already making positive headway - Honda do seem to have made a bike which, at it's core, is almost indestructible by human hands!

See a lot of this kind of thing on eBay, people have had the idea of making a streetfighter after binning the bike, got as far as tearing it all apart, then given up because it's hard to do and left the poor bike to languish for years. It's a real bummer that so many gen 3's especially are going to end their days like this as the aftermarket parts just aren't there for them. In the UK the number of listed legally running bikes from this era is less than half of the number declared "off - road" and even that's only a few hundred

• Member Contributer

For zero dollars, it looks like you're doing great! There's a youtube guy that might be worth a look. He goes by Superfastmatt. I think he's in California.

https://www.youtube.com/c/SuperfastMatt/featured

I don't know him. Only his videos, which can be helpful. And funny. Here's his self described bio:

Matt Brown is an Automotive Engineer who has spent the last decade working at places like Tesla, Apple, and NASCAR. This channel is here to answer common questions like "How did you do that engine swap," and "Is that a good idea? That doesn't seem like a good idea." There are projects like preparing a Toyota 4Runner for overlanding, putting a motorcycle engine into a car, off-roading impractical vehicles, or just how to do DIY projects the cheap and easy way. There are also occasional car reviews, thoughts about cars & motorcycles, and anything else automobile-related that can be filmed in a way that is more informative than mindless wheelies. There are also wheelies.

Anyway, he did a general wiring tutorial just a couple months ago. He also has a Grom...so you might like that video too! 🙂

• Member Contributer

As a testament to HONDA's technical prowess in engineering solid bikes....

This VFR800fi stood outside for (iirc) 7 years under a tarp all year round. The fule cap would not open, so used the fule that was in there. the battery was well farked, so hooked up a known to be good one.

3 jabs on the starter button

this VFR750 stood idle (inside a non-heated but dry) shed for 5 years. Battery toast

Once I knew it would run, I started spending money... (battery, oil, tyres etc etc)

• Member Contributer

If she works out to be solid mechanically, maybe a solution to the wiring mess could be to buy a used harness.  They're around on ebay for reasonable money. 

judging by the melted connector between stator and r/r, i think you will need a NEW stator since it's ruined. not the wires but the stator itself.

• Member Contributer

Let us know if you get it running, and you decide to continue. From my street fighter bike, I have a start/stop switch from a 3rd gen I can give you - yours if you want it! It may not be the right part number, but it will work, and it's FREE!

Hi all, I definitely plan on getting to the hydraulics soon enough, but they're not on the top of my list just yet. As for the ignition I'll be taking the passenger peg/ bracket assembly with the keyed seat latch to the lock smith tomorrow in hopes they'll be able to make a key for it, and crossing my fingers that it's the same key cut and it'll match my keyed ignition so I can wire that back up properly.

After sitting at work all day today itching to get home and continue wrenching on the bike, I realized the reason I probably hadn't been able to get it started was I kept giving it gas (flooding the carbs) and using the who-knows-how-old gas that was left in the tank. After I got off from the ole' 9-5, I picked up a new bottle of carb cleaner and filled my portable gas tank with new, fresh gas. I drained the old gas out of the tank, filled it with new gas, sprayed the intake stacks with a squirt each of carb cleaner... and after a few pops and bangs, got the bike to idle for a full 10 seconds!!! Even enough for a quick rev!!! I was beyond excited, and the bike sounded healthy, aside from the gummy carbs. 

I decided that hearing it run for that split second was justification enough to start doing the basics of getting it running and idling reliably. I then took off the carbs and gave them a quick once over. pretty much every jet is clogged shut and found a broken off choke-plunger, but they look good on the inside and may only need a good solvent soak and jet cleaning/ bowl gasket replacements.

0419211838.thumb.jpg.3464560bc73d9f06f2dae163d769a7cf.jpg0419211938.thumb.jpg.8ca7b821b67ed29521ee9315a6ff1359.jpg

My hands were too dirty to grab my laptop to view the amazing write up by the lovely gentleman that made this guide http://v4dreams.com/maintenance.html and continue the carb teardown, and I was too lazy to wash my hands, so I tore down the front end to give myself more room to continue repairing the harness up front and start mounting the radiator/ oil cooler. 

0419212035.thumb.jpg.a43248174c7a27ade5fc7162f723a4af.jpg

Honda does know how to make a practically indestructible bike!! The moped you may see in the back ground of my pics is an 18' Grom with 4k HARD miles. I've redlined the thing in every gear since I purchase it new and have tried to blow it up so I have an excuse to build the motor, but to no avail. It's the most fun bike I've ever owned and will probably never part with it! Better to go fast on a slow bike, than slow on a fast bike!! 

0419212035a.thumb.jpg.cd645528e71e32c026631f092e0c8301.jpg

Tomorrow is beers with my buddies, so probably won't make any more progress until the middle of the week.

• Member Contributer

Hey, good job on getting wiring repaired! That's some difficult stuff!

Caveat about carbs, running is not indicator of condition. You'll need more extensive restoration steps:

- replace all float-valves

- replace fuel-rail O-rings

- replace float-bowl seals

- inspect, R&R slide diaphragms

Basically any soft rubber part should be restored to OEM condition. Leaking you encountred is sure sign that one or more of above is not sealing properly.

• Member Contributer

On 4/19/2021 at 2:24 AM, brandon750 said:

0418211444.thumb.jpg.39a7a3775599a9affe4c6de7e8609ca9.jpg

Ah, the ol' Honda 2" wide blue 'leccy tape... Yes, it can be found (along with the brass crimp wire splices) if you search long enough.  

One thing that's surprisingly hard to find in the US (as opposed to the UK) is thin-wall cable in a multitude of colors, if for example you need to re-build a wiring harness and want to use OEM wire colors.  The thinner sizes (0.5mm2 and 1.0mm2) come in up to 100 solid and striped combinations.  (The cheapest source I've found in the UK for 1m lengths is ALM Solutions, btw.)  

For absolutely authentic OEM cable (most of what I've seen is locally manufactured and not exactly the same as OEM) you can visit www.hi-1000ec.com, which is a Japanese site selling mainly OEM electrical connectors, but they also stock Sumitomo automotive cable which looks just like OEM.  But that's a bit extreme--even for me!

Ciao,

JZH

soaking carbs is best avoided as the throttle shafts can seize up later during storage due to solvent/water infiltration. a toothbrush and gasoline will clean well without that risk.

(yeah, i know this is heresy.)

• Member Contributer

Here's another source of connectors, terminals and wiring.

https://www.corsa-technic.com/

Personally, I don't like using OEM-spec anything as it's always designed to certain price-point. I prefer to upgrade specs to military/aerospace standards. That means sealed weather-proof connectors and terminals. Along with silicone-insulated, pre-tinned wiring. Then tie/crimp+solder+heatshrink assembly process. There's never enough time to do it right the first time, but there's always time to do it again. Often on side of road in total-darkness and rain!

• Member Contributer
19 minutes ago, DannoXYZ said:

There's never enough time to do it right the first time, but there's always time to do it again. Often on side of road in total-darkness and rain!

Ain't it the truth . . . seen it too many times. 

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, DannoXYZ said:

, but there's always time to do it again. Often on side of road in total-darkness and rain!

While adventures suck at the time, they make for great stories over a couple of beers... :beer:

• Member Contributer

There's never enough time to do it right the first time, but there's always time to do it again. Often on side of road in total-darkness and rain!

Hahahaha, been there, done that!

Took the top triple to a lock smith this morning to see if I could get keys made (those ignition bolts were NOT coming out) and they were able to whip up a pair in about 5 minutes!! No questions asked lol! I'll order some electrical connectors from the recommended sites here soon and keep plugging away (ha-ha) at the wiring harness and get the keyed ignition hooked back up and tested. 

0421211740.thumb.jpg.d9281dc7619356a0d26c0c002a4af534.jpg

I also was able to finish tearing down the carbs and got a list of new parts that need to be ordered, hoping to find a complete rebuild kit for a decent price. I'm going to look at tutorials and talk myself into replacing the fuel o-rings while I have everything apart. Hopefully I'll get some parts in by this weekend and make some good progress over the coming week or two.

0421211857.thumb.jpg.190b39dd30d3237d8ac744921e0398cc.jpg

• Member Contributer

For rubber carb parts, try LiteTek in (of all places) Thailand.

There's nothing wrong with OEM cable, but OEM connectors on VFRs are notorious for suffering from corrosion.  I do not replace unsealed OEM connectors with sealed ones (the cost and effort would not be worth it), but I do make sure that the terminals are covered in dielectric grease to seal out moisture.  However, if I'm installing a new circuit I generally use Delphi Metri-Pack sealed connectors, which are good quality and available everywhere.

Ciao,

JZH

• Member Contributer

Just found it in my box of used parts. Let me know Brandon, it's yours if you want it. Just PM me your address...

20210422_172409.jpg

20 minutes ago, RC1237V said:

Just found it in my box of used parts. Let me know Brandon, it's yours if you want it. Just PM me your address...

20210422_172409.jpg

@RC1237V Thank you so much for the offer!! I think mine is good, but will need further inspection and testing. I'll let you know!

Had to work late tonight so no progress to report.

Archived