K & L Supply Fuel Pump

I know a few people were wondering about replacement pumps for our Gen 3 bikes and had actually asked me for a link to where I found the one I used.

Basically after reading and from my own experience, it is often best to source parts for our Japanese bikes from Japan instead of China when available.  I mean if you pay $10 for a fuel pump, well you should probably not expect it to last that long.  I'm not saying that just because a pump from Japan costs 10 times as much it is guaranteed to be better, but there is probably a reason it does.  With that said I went with a K & L pump manufactured in Japan for my 91 model VFR, and I found it on Amazon, sold by K & L.  It looks identical to what I believe was probably the factory Honda pump that was on my bike all the way down to the Mitsubishi emblem on the end cap.  Maybe I have been fooled into paying more, maybe not, but I feel good about my purchase and the thought that I won't be left stranded somewhere with a short-lived failed pump.

Anyway, here is the link, happy motoring.

• Member Contributer

You have not been fooled.  Those are very high quality pumps and are literally the same as OEM.  TourMax also sells Japan made Mitsu pumps.

Another great option is to look at the K&L application guide and identify the models that take that same pump.  Then find the newest, lowest mile, reasonably priced used one on eBay.  Most sellers offer a return policy in case of a dud.  I have been replacing my 35 year old pumps with this method and it has been a great money saver.  If I only had one bike I would have bought new.  But at double digits, I can't afford that.

• Member Contributer

The pump usually lasts longer than the contacts on the end of it.  I once bought a replacement set of points from a Dutch guy on ADV Rider, but his version used an optical trigger instead of mechanical contacts.  I think it was sold for an Africa Twin or some sort of big KTM, but the same Mitsubishi pump fits a lot of bikes...

Ciao,

JZH

Archived