When to replace throttle body insulators?

This winter I was thinking of doing some proactive maintenance of my 6th Gen VFR. Among others, I was thinking of changing the throttle body insulators given that they are made from rubber, and due to old age who knows how good they still are.

Due to lack of time, I didn't manage to do it, but a question pops up in my mind from time to time. When do I know that my insulators are bad? 

Last time when I checked them it was around 1 year ago when I replaced the cooling thermostat and they seemed in pretty good shape. I don't really have a bad fluctuating idle, maybe only a little bit, but that may well be the throttle valves being a bit out of sync. So how will a small leak in the insulators manifest itself?

honda-vfr-800-vtec-insulator-throttle-body-16211-mcw-d00.jpg

• Member Contributer

They're pretty thick, and tough material.  I've had both my 5th and 6th G ones off - both looked fine.  My $.02 is that your maintenance money is probably better spent elsewhere.

• Member Contributer

A leak at the insulators will result in *continuous* high idle because
on a fuel injection system any air that gets past the throttle bodies the map just
adds the corresponding fuel... the result is high uncontrolled idle...

After you remove the throttle bodies check the hoses and O rings of the coolant system...

RC45ValleyBefore (1).JPG

RC45ValleyBefore (2).JPG

RC45ValleyAfter.JPG

• Member Contributer
3 hours ago, Magneto said:

My thinking was in line with yours when I was restomodding my ZRX of 1999 vintage. After I checked the price for them buggers they suddenly looked perfect for me.

I've re-conditioned them with mixture of alcohol + oil of wintergreen. 

Soak completely submerged for 24-hrs.

Nice and soft, pliable, easy-to-install and seals better for same clamping pressure as well.

• Member Contributer
On 4/14/2021 at 8:54 AM, CiprianStoica said:

Due to lack of time, I didn't manage to do it, but a question pops up in my mind from time to time. When do I know that my insulators are bad? 

Last time when I checked them it was around 1 year ago when I replaced the cooling thermostat and they seemed in pretty good shape. I don't really have a bad fluctuating idle, maybe only a little bit, but that may well be the throttle valves being a bit out of sync. So how will a small leak in the insulators manifest itself?

While leaks can manifest as higher-than-spec idle, due to alpha-N load-sensing (combo TPS+MAP), idle can be stable. Yet transitions between throttle-positions may have slight lag and hiccups with leaks. 

Alpha-N uses higher weighting of TPS-position and less on MAP at idle and low-loads. This is why you can start bike and idle OK with leaks, or even with MAP-sensor hose completely disconnected.

As throttle is increased, TPS-position has less weighting and more of MAP signal is used. Since leaks causes improper MAP signal, going to higher throttle-openings depends more on MAP signal and leak causes more improper air-fuel mixtures and you'll end up with lags and stumbles.

If you don't have any of those symptoms, then don't worry about the insulators leaking.

https://www.vfrdiscussion.com/index.php?/forums/topic/97100-hesitation-and-occasions-pop-when-grabbing-full-throttle

I appreciate all answers, thanks.

Well, given that they looked liked new and that I don't really get any idle related issues or lags when I change throttle positions, I think I am safe to say that the money can go on a different operation. I will double check them along with the coolant hoses when I replace the vacuum lines.

• Member Contributer

I don't know what it is with the o-rings on the water necks that come out of each cylinder head - those things become absolutely fossilzed.  Other o-rings in the system can be fine - but those . . .  Maybe it's because they get hotter than the others - probably.  At any rate, that's a good service to r&r those. 

• Member Contributer

The ones on mine were stiff when I first got it. Came apart OK, so I lubed them with engine oil on reassembly. Been apart a few times since & lubed each time on reassembly, now they are quite soft.

If you take a look on the tube, there are videos on how to soften rubber parts that have hardened with age & heat. 

Archived