5th Gen engine bolts list?

Stray

• Member Contributer

Hello All, 

Is there a list of engine bolts anywhere? I’m looking to replace all mine with Ti/SS/Al and would rather not pull them all out one-at-a-time for measuring. 

Will probably do the rest of the bike too (suspension, chassis and bodywork etc). 

Have seen a few “kits” for sale but they’re often marked up 400% compared to buying loose. On my other bikes I ended up having to compile (and publish) a comprehensive bolt list. Just hoping someone has already done it for the 5th Gen! 

Any advice welcome. 

Stray 

• Stray changed the title to 5th Gen engine bolts list?
  • Member Contributer

You could sift through an online parts fiche such as www.ronayers.com and make a list. They generally list the bolt sizes, or it is implicit in the part number.

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, Dangeruss said:

You could sift through an online parts fiche such as www.ronayers.com and make a list. They generally list the bolt sizes, or it is implicit in the part number.

Like this...

https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/honda/motorcycle/1999/vfr800fi-a-interceptor/frame

• Like 1

• Member Contributer
On 4/12/2021 at 10:40 PM, Stray said:

Hello All, 

Is there a list of engine bolts anywhere? I’m looking to replace all mine with Ti/SS/Al and would rather not pull them all out one-at-a-time for measuring. 

Will probably do the rest of the bike too (suspension, chassis and bodywork etc). 

Have seen a few “kits” for sale but they’re often marked up 400% compared to buying loose. On my other bikes I ended up having to compile (and publish) a comprehensive bolt list. Just hoping someone has already done it for the 5th Gen! 

Any advice welcome. 

Stray 

As mentioned above, you can get a lot of information from the Parts Catalogues, but there are many fasteners which are non-standard or simply are not described in enough detail.  

Go to Titan Classics to see which non-standard Honda fasteners are available.  But if you're going to be replacing things like swing arm pivots with titanium, your upgrade project will start to get rather expensive!

I would never replace everything with stainless steel, because the material is not as strong as OEM steel, but there are many applications where the difference won't matter.  So I've kept the OEM steel for most of the big bolts, swapped most other accessible fasteners with A2 stainless, except those which are mission-critical (e.g., sprocket, disc and caliper bolts), which I have replaced with titanium.  I never use aluminum fasteners for anything.

Bottom line is that I've replaced many OEM fasteners with either stainless or titanium on my bikes (the FP in particular), but (even) I've never tried to replace everything--even on just the engine.  Good luck!

Ciao,

JZH

• Member Contributer

Racebolt UK do a couple of full Ti engine bolt kits. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Honda-VFR800-98-2009-Titanium-Socket-Cap-Engine-Bolt-Kit-/303933918551?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286

Either the cap heads above or with hex heads drilled for lock wiring.