5th gen coolant flush info

• Member Contributer

I'm doing my first coolant service since I got the bike.

I've got a jug of Honda OEM all season coolant left over from past Civic / Ridgeline ownerships. 

Type 2, 50/50 premix, ethylene glycol base and de-mineralized water. 131 C boiling point

I assume this stuff should work fine?

• Member Contributer

I've been using that for years.  Others have posted up the same.  Works fine.  AFAIK the only difference between that and the Honda branded coolant sold at MC dealers is the color of the dye.

• Member Contributer

image.jpeg.7b15ddbe5faf6a21f778df0440e367d6.jpegHonda Type 2 coolant is great for your bike. Premixed long life, Silicate and Borate free.

On the back of the container there will be a manufacturing date. It should also state NOT to use the product if you are beyond 36 months of this date.

So how old is your Type 2 coolant?

• Member Contributer

There is no manufacturing date nor is there a warning not to use the product if it's over 3 years old.

Is this fairly recent because I would think this stuff is 6 or 8 years old. Never opened.

• Member Contributer

Are you sure? This stuff supposedly has a shelf life. 

Here's the label on the back of my old container. Manufactured 24 Feb 2017

20210412_123302.jpg

• Member Contributer

Positive.

No "use before" warning or obvious manufacture date.

There is a code on it but I'm not sure you could decipher a date from it. 1V181024  13:29

Possibly 29th week of 2013? Which would make it 8 years old and that is quite possible.

• Member Contributer
21 minutes ago, HughJebolzak said:

Positive.

No "use before" warning or obvious manufacture date.

There is a code on it but I'm not sure you could decipher a date from it. 1V181024  13:29

Possibly 29th week of 2013? Which would make it 8 years old and that is quite possible.

Well, guess if you have an unopened sealed container, why shouldn't it be ok for use?

Not like its brake fluid that absorbs moisture!

• Member Contributer

I did some research and everything I read pointed to no definite expiration time period.

One thing I did read stated that pure antifreeze would last longer than 50/50 premix.

The existing coolant has been in the bike for at least 5 or 6 years so I'm way overdue. I'll use this stuff and change it out at the end of the season to be safe.

• Member Contributer

It's not advisable to run more than a 50% mix of ethylene glycol or staight ethylene glycol.  Ethylene glycol has less ability to absorb heat than water, even though it has a much higher boiling temperature than water.  You could find that straight EC would not be boiling and yet the engine getting too hot because it cannot absorb and transport away any more heat. Adding it to water raises the boiling point of the mix and also lowers the freezing point. However, the objective is to absorb heat energy from the engine and transport it to the rads where it can be dissipated to the  air. The E.C. and its additives provide corrosion protection to the cooling system, so neither is straight water a good idea even in a climate where feezing is unheard of.  I run 50/50 or maybe 35EC / 75 H2O if I  want more cooling capacity in really hot weather. For the average user the 50/50 mix provides the best year 'round compromise between heat capacity and boilover / feeze protection.  Buying it premixed from Honda ensures that demineralized water is used to give the best combo of protection, heat carrying capacity and higher boiling point. 

• Member Contributer

Good info.

I was referring to something I found about shelf life being even greater for a jug of straight antifreeze compared to a  50/50 premix. I would only put 50/50 in the engine. 

• Member Contributer

I keep a bottle or 2 of the Honda Type2 ( Honda Blue) on hand and use it in everthing cars and bikes..... 

Grum.. you made me run out to the garage and check the labels of stuff I have... no expiration date listed.. hmmm...

Maybe an Aussie reg requirement? --- Long Life or 3 years on shelf? Interesting.. 

• Member Contributer

So a diluted coolant lasts for a couple of years hurtling around a boiling hot engine but the concentrate only lasts 3 years on a shelf in a sealed bottle??? I call BS from the manufacturer, sounds like they are just trying to encourage sales to me...

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, Terry said:

So a diluted coolant lasts for a couple of years hurtling around a boiling hot engine but the concentrate only lasts 3 years on a shelf in a sealed bottle??? I call BS from the manufacturer, sounds like they are just trying to encourage sales to me...

+1 fully agree Terry. Today I rang the Honda number on the back of my old Type 2 coolant container seeking their reasoning for the 36month shelf life. Sadly, office staff are not available because of covid!!! Left a message for them to get back to me. Will post any feedback from Honda regards this.

I have read that apparently the effectiveness of the rust inhibitors falls off with time - yet to be substantiated!

Cheers.

Post edit - Well, just got off the phone from the Technical people Of Nulon Australia a manufacturer of top quality oils and coolants. They state that for no other reason than being aligned with Industry Standards that they say 5 years from the date of manufacture. I guess you can't expect stated performance on a container of coolant even left unopened for say 20 years, its a simple as that.

• Member Contributer

Interesting.

Like I mentioned, I'm guessing this jug I have is about 8 years old (the blue stuff). It still had the foil seal on it. It was definitely better than what was in the engine so I used it. 

I didn't have any replacement crush washers on hand so reused the old one and now have a slight leak.

Anyone know what the part number is for those little washers? Or what size they might be and where one could get replacements?

• Member Contributer

I know several people with 20+ year old cages that have never replaced a hose or the OEM coolant.  They've not had to "top it off" more than a few times, so the bulk of the coolant is still 20+ year old OEM.  I live in an area that can get over 100F in the summer and below 0F in the winter.  The engines don't overheat or freeze and bust.  I'm sure the 8 year old sealed jug is good.  

• Member Contributer
11 hours ago, HughJebolzak said:

Interesting.

Like I mentioned, I'm guessing this jug I have is about 8 years old (the blue stuff). It still had the foil seal on it. It was definitely better than what was in the engine so I used it. 

I didn't have any replacement crush washers on hand so reused the old one and now have a slight leak.

Anyone know what the part number is for those little washers? Or what size they might be and where one could get replacements?

WASHER, SEALING (6.5MM)

90463-ML7-000

• Member Contributer
12 hours ago, HughJebolzak said:

Interesting.

Hi Hugh.

Just for info. I've never needed to replace those washers, but what I do is add a little of this plumber's pipe sealant to the thread and washer, it works a treat and is non harding, never any leakage. Any similar plumbers liquid pipe/thread sealer will do the job.

Cheers.

image.jpeg.976257f9f58950701daeac4eea56aab3.jpeg

• Member Contributer

You can anneal the copper washer by heating to cherry red and dropping in cold water, then they’re good to go 

Same goes for hydraulics but only if I don’t have any new ones 

Archived