5th gen clean up thread

jroberts427

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

Nice work. These bikes are such under-appreciated jewels (even after the great 'rona bump in bike prices). Great design and well put together, which makes maintenance enjoyable and riding even more so. 

• Member Contributer

Well done, great thread and photos too. I had a set of Staintunes on my 6th Gen and loved the sound.

I'm taking more of an interest in the 5th Gen threads, esp ones like this, as I am hoping to purchase an 01 model soon and spruce it up a little, much as the OP has.

• Member Contributer

Great looking bike, looks like new, like mine 20 years ago. I had the same 'stang back in the day too, although not to the state of tune that one looks to be.

1 minute ago, vfrcapn said:

Great looking bike, looks like new, like mine 20 years ago. I had the same 'stang back in the day too, although not to the state of tune that one looks to be.

Thanks, good eye! The 5.0 has it's own story. I bought it the first time in 2002, sold it in 2007 then found it again (my actual car!) and bought it back in Dec 2018. It was a total basket case and had 350k miles on it. My family and I spent 14 months doing our version of a full resto-mod. Body, paint, brakes, suspension, interior, fully rebuilt drivetrain, all in my garage. It runs well and dynoed 263hp/302tq at the wheels which is a nice improvement over stock. Thinking I might go single turbo at some point in the future. 

Our local news station even did an article on it:  https://www.ksl.com/article/46782464/after-more-than-a-decade-saratoga-springs-family-finds-their-mustang-that-got-away

Cheers,

Justin

Money shot!.jpg

• Member Contributer
5 minutes ago, jroberts427 said:

Thanks, good eye! The 5.0 has it's own story. I bought it the first time in 2002, sold it in 2007 then found it again (my actual car!) and bought it back in Dec 2018. It was a total basket case and had 350k miles on it. My family and I spent 14 months doing our version of a full resto-mod. Body, paint, brakes, suspension, interior, fully rebuilt drivetrain, all in my garage. It runs well and dynoed 263hp/302tq at the wheels which is a nice improvement over stock. Thinking I might go single turbo at some point in the future. 

Our local news station even did an article on it:  https://www.ksl.com/article/46782464/after-more-than-a-decade-saratoga-springs-family-finds-their-mustang-that-got-away

Cheers,

Justin

Money shot!.jpg

Nice work, that looks as clean as the VFR. I put 200K on a '79 Capri 5.0, then a few more years on a '86 Mustang LX 5.0. Fun cars.

• Member Contributer

This thread really shows how a decent low-mileage bike can still need a lot of work to make it "up to date" on maintenance. If you took it to a shop, all that work would have been well over $1,000 especially with a new set of tires!

If I ever grab a 5th or 6th gen, I will keep that in mind :tour:

• 1 month later...

Great bike and job. My 2 cents: I would do the extra little thing I did after buying my beloved 🙂 yellow 1999 back in July => go for lithium battery. Its a real easy 3.4kg weight gain you can actually feel especially - but not only- when moving your bike manually being on the side. I went for a SHIDO LTX12-BS LION -S bought on Amazon for 81€. After 6 months, so far so good, even with temp as low as minus 2 Celcius. Requires a specific charger (mine was already lithium compliant by chance).

• Member Contributer

Lovely looking bike and write up. Any chance of reaping the video of the Staintunes? Would like to get a high level silencer in mine and always heard these were one of the best even if now hard to come by.

• Member Contributer

Great write up.  I also have an 01 that has low miles and is in similar condition.  Did all the maintenance to get her where I wanted her to be including valves and she is good to go.  The only thing I want to do now is get a Staintune high mount. Hopefully they will start making the new ones soon.

On 3/5/2022 at 11:20 AM, stuartb3502 said:

Lovely looking bike and write up. Any chance of reaping the video of the Staintunes? Would like to get a high level silencer in mine and always heard these were one of the best even if now hard to come by.

Here you go. It's a cold start with some revs after I let it warm up a bit. 

• 1 month later...

Went for a ride the other night and noticed one of the dash lights had burned out. Great time to upgrade to LEDs! I read some forum posts on the topic and found some suitable LEDs on Amazon. They were priced well and are slightly lower wattage than the stockers: 

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08229N2Y5?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

The package of 10 gives enough to do the main lights on the VFR and 5 for use on my 1992 Mustang which I'll install soon.  

Here's the LED compared to the stock bulb:

image.thumb.png.c463f958cd1e3b3311a8ef11a0e7d7bc.png

Everything came off easily, just take your time and keep track of the fasteners. I learned as well that you don't have to remove the blinkers, nor do you have to disconnect the blinker plugs or the headlight plugs. I just placed a microfiber on the front fender and let the nose fairing rest on that. From there I removed the 3 10mm nuts securing the gauge cluster. It is then easily pushed forward to access the dash bulbs. The LEDs fit just fine and had no issue with polarity. Everything went without a hitch. 

image.thumb.png.565ae3c5af4753785429b7904568c30c.png

image.thumb.png.88a038b0bbc1c09485d4c240d346ea19.png

With the LEDs installed I turned the key to verify all looked good before reassembly. Took a few minutes to clean things up a bit and put it all back together. I was pleased not to have any left over fasteners, bonus! 

And now for the before and after:  

image.thumb.png.88fd417afabb1656ba2282892e3d2097.png

image.thumb.png.e4d636946d89db9bb637be30f7da4602.png

For just a little time and even less money I am very pleased with the result. Still need to go for a night ride to see how they look in the wild. 

Cheers,

Justin

• Member Contributer

Nice job Justin.

Just wondering, how does your Fi Light perform with the LED insert?

Others that have installed an LED to the Fi light have noticed it constantly dimly lit.

ECM provides the ground side for the light electronically and may require the similar loading effect of an incandescent globe.

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, Grum said:

Nice job Justin.

Others that have installed an LED to the Fi light have noticed it constantly dimly lit.

ECM provides the ground side for the light electronically and may require the similar loading effect of an incandescent globe.

Interesting point m8, I'll keep an eye on mine now as I've also done an led swap on my '01.

1 hour ago, Grum said:

Nice job Justin.

I actually didn't put LEDs in the dummy lights so I can't speak to the effect on the FI light. 

I just put 5 LEDs in the main board illumination slots.  I figured the dummy lights get used so little they weren't as likely to burn out any time soon. 

Justin 

• Member Contributer
2 minutes ago, jroberts427 said:

I actually didn't put LEDs in the dummy lights so I can't speak to the effect on the FI light.

Ah good thinking 99.

This is interesting and going to follow. If it continues to work without issues I might just have to do this to my 98’. I don’t care for the lack of good illumination and this just might be my answer. 

• Member Contributer

Mine with FI changed to LED..... constantly lit, so not recommended for that one.  I'll be swapping the FI bulb back to incandescent.

20210511_185001.jpg

• Member Contributer

Skip the dummy lights - I swapped everything but the FI light. They are too bright, IMO. The high beam indicator is annoying and I am swapping it back to incandescent shortly. 

• Member Contributer
3 hours ago, trmoyer said:

This is interesting and going to follow. If it continues to work without issues I might just have to do this to my 98’. I don’t care for the lack of good illumination and this just might be my answer. 

You have the option of changing the color of the illumination also - although you are limited to blues and greens basically due to the colored filter/foil in the guages. Things like red don't come through bright enough (I tried). 

I changed mine to blue - 

spacer.png

NOTE - The neutral light in this photo is with the replacement led installed - very BRIGHT

Here it is in a darker setting - and contains a great example of the false/always lit issue using leds in the 'dummy' lights 

spacer.png

AND - I had sent this to another member years ago, here's the bulb list and source I used:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

LEDs - I ordered from superbrightleds.com, here's my order (I replaced everything, indicator lights as well) ---> Skip the '74' series bulbs = dummy lights, Ambers are indicators if you want them ( I like that they are bright now, easier to notice in the daytime)

2   194-A4-90: Amber Wide   $1.59

2   74-NWHP: Natural White  $1.95

1   74-GHP: Green                  $1.95

1   74-BHP: Blue                     $1.95

5   194-B-120: Blue 120 Degree   $0.99

Archived