Antisocial Riding

Magneto

• Member Contributer

Note that U.S. has some of best road-infrastructures out there on average. More miles of flat, clean highways than anyone else. 

Our speed-limits are also amongst lowest for amount of open-road straight highways we have.

Yet, our deaths per 100,000-miles/person is higher than other countries with worse roads and higher speed-limit. I just think U.S. drivers on average are not as skilled as Europeans and Asians where taking driving-class is required along with 100% passing on skills-based test.

I remember taking BMW driving-school decades ago. One of exercises is to play follow-the-leader around track and stay no more than 15m behind car ahead. Then halfway-through, they start tossing luggage from lead-car and you have to avoid luggage AND stay on their tail. If we had those kinds of training here, I bet fatalities would drop tremendously!

https://www.vox.com/the-big-idea/2016/11/30/13784520/roads-deaths-increase-safety-traffic-us

We are barely better than Africa and former Eastern-bloc countries!

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thing is we do not have mass transport and everybody is driving, even the ones unable to get driver license to a proper standard known from other countries. Our driver ed is a joke on the top of that as you mentioned. 

Followed a driver today who suddenly slow down in left line, then I noted two hand movements fixing hair, long hair. Obviously she had to slow down to a crawl to fix her hair. Safety first!... 

4 hours ago, DannoXYZ said:

Note that U.S. has some of best road-infrastructures out there on average. More miles of flat, clean highways than anyone else. 

Our speed-limits are also amongst lowest for amount of open-road straight highways we have.

Yet, our deaths per 100,000-miles/person is higher than other countries with worse roads and higher speed-limit. I just think U.S. drivers on average are not as skilled as Europeans and Asians where taking driving-class is required along with 100% passing on skills-based test.

I remember taking BMW driving-school decades ago. One of exercises is to play follow-the-leader around track and stay no more than 15m behind car ahead. Then halfway-through, they start tossing luggage from lead-car and you have to avoid luggage AND stay on their tail. If we had those kinds of training here, I bet fatalities would drop tremendously!

https://www.vox.com/the-big-idea/2016/11/30/13784520/roads-deaths-increase-safety-traffic-us

We are barely better than Africa and former Eastern-bloc countries!

I wonder if the study compared to miles travelled per year on average for US vs other countries?

Nonetheless, other contributing factor is that intersections are highly prone to accidents, and in Europe, they have mastered roundabouts. In addition, our vehicles are on probably twice the size and weight which probably contributes to increase in deaths especially for motorist vs bikers. Then, you have lane splitting pretty much legal in most European countries.. 

• Member Contributer

Well . . . here 'ya go (link, below).  Things that were unthinkable just a few months / a year ago are now closing in on reality.  Big Brother - the Police State (oh, wait, I though we were defunding . . . apparently that depends on who's doing what).  At any rate a couple of quotes from the article "We need to think differently if we are going to put a stop to the problem once and for all . . . "  and "Northumbria’s police and crime commissioner wants ‘trackers’ to be fitted to all motorcycles to help tackle the problem of bike-related anti-social behaviour." (emphasis added)  The last, right out of the title of this thread.   Apparently riding some undefined amount over the speed limit is "anti-social", but smashing / burning buildings and destroying livelihoods if not lives is not . . . the new World Order has arrived. 

https://advrider.com/police-commissioner-wants-trackers-on-all-motorcycles/

• Member Contributer

Speaking of lead, methinks that if that came to pass, that sale of lead foil would skyrocket.  Just wrap the unit in it and go about one's business. Or, just unplug the stupid thing.  If it can't send or receive they won't know a thing.  I'm no squid - but I ride to get away from this garbage - now they're moving toward putting it right in our hip pocket.  It wouldn't surprise me that new cars now being designed will come with this built in.  Probably just a matter of time . . . :ohmy::pissed:

• Member Contributer
On 4/10/2021 at 2:27 PM, FJ12Ryder said:

"There is no getting around the fact that lower speeds are statistically safer"

Surely you don't believe that! I want to see the study and parameters of that study. That ranks right up there with "Speed Kills" and

"Just Say No". 🙂

Sorry, I'd thought it was obvious.  Most car-related accidents happen on normal roads, rather than motorways, where speeds are lower but the dangers are much greater.  Do you not agree that motorways are "safer" than city streets?  

Accordingly, citing statistics proving that motorways are "safer" than the roads where most of the accidents occur seems a bit pointless, as those types of roads do not feature in most of the accidents.  

So if we look only at speeds on normal roads, where the problem is, it becomes (I would hope) logically clearer that when that traffic moves faster and the hazards remain the same, the danger increases.  Out in the sticks, higher speed matters much less.  

Ciao,

JZH

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, Magneto said:

Cars are different in a sense that as soon as autonomous capabilities are fully developed human factor will be taken out entirely in the name of safety and efficiency. 

We call them trains and trams here :tongue:

• Member Contributer
9 hours ago, Cogswell said:

Speaking of lead, methinks that if that came to pass, that sale of lead foil would skyrocket.  Just wrap the unit in it and go about one's business. Or, just unplug the stupid thing.  If it can't send or receive they won't know a thing.  I'm no squid - but I ride to get away from this garbage - now they're moving toward putting it right in our hip pocket.  It wouldn't surprise me that new cars now being designed will come with this built in.  Probably just a matter of time . . . :ohmy::pissed:

You don't have to wait, think OnStar and LoJack. Heck people pay for the privilege of being tracked.

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, JZH said:

Sorry, I'd thought it was obvious.  Most car-related accidents happen on normal roads, rather than motorways, where speeds are lower but the dangers are much greater.  Do you not agree that motorways are "safer" than city streets?  

Accordingly, citing statistics proving that motorways are "safer" than the roads where most of the accidents occur seems a bit pointless, as those types of roads do not feature in most of the accidents.  

So if we look only at speeds on normal roads, where the problem is, it becomes (I would hope) logically clearer that when that traffic moves faster and the hazards remain the same, the danger increases.  Out in the sticks, higher speed matters much less.  

Ciao,

JZH

Okay, I kind of see what you're referring to, and I won't deny that hitting a bridge at 50 mph is potentially more lethal than at 20 mph. I guess I just bristle when they make the statement that slower is "safer" than faster, and they use that as an excuse to ticket you for being "unsafe", or as a reason to lower speed limits to unrealistic speeds.

On 4/16/2021 at 4:29 AM, Cogswell said:

At any rate a couple of quotes from the article "We need to think differently if we are going to put a stop to the problem once and for all . . . "  and "Northumbria’s police and crime commissioner wants ‘trackers’ to be fitted to all motorcycles to help tackle the problem of bike-related anti-social behaviour." (emphasis added)  The last, right out of the title of this thread.   Apparently riding some undefined amount over the speed limit is "anti-social", but smashing / burning buildings and destroying livelihoods if not lives is not . . . the new World Order has arrived. 

https://advrider.com/police-commissioner-wants-trackers-on-all-motorcycles/

I don't know what the language policy on this website is, and so will go with F@£&#@&#K that guy.

Discriminating arse hole. Probably the kind of person who also believes that its OK to stop and search black people for no reason because, you know, they're probably up to something. 

The police attempts at over-reach in this country is starting to really show. 

Don't worry,

(website is, and so will go with F@£&#@&#K that guy.

Discriminating arse hole)

it will never happen in the UK. Just some politico trying to drum up local interest ahead of local government elections. Lots of noise but no real traction. Just think it through: trackers on vehicles, what type of vehicles, all vehicles, and speed tracking; whose going to police all that. Ideas are fine but implementation costs effort and money. Bit of a laugh really

Archived