Do euro headlights use the regular H4 bulb

• Member Contributer

I got to thinking about a way around our funky 65 degree bulbs and was wondering if the euro market bikes used the regular H4 bulbs in their bikes and if so couldn't the problem be solved by getting a headlamp assy. from Germany as they drive on the right side of the road and the beam would be correct. I picked up a couple of regular H4 bulbs from a friend to mess with before I put the fairing back on and saw it wasn't anything I wanted to mess with. The center tab was even narrower which would make the location of the filament even more random. hopefully some of our oversea's friends will chime in on this.

• Member Contributer

Just make sure its NOT a UK lamp set, as our lights lean the other way, high on left on low beam ! 

• Member Contributer

As long as they drive on the right side of the road it should be good. I bought a set of EDM glass headlights for my Subaru that had the H4 bulb, and one headlight put out more light than both stock plastic lights with whatever bulb came stock. Not a fan of plastic lenses.

• Member Contributer

I've always thought VFR headlamps were symmetrical. Never noticed any particular beam slant to the left on any of mine.

You learn something new everyday.

• Member Contributer

Yeah some euro models have a flat low beam, others have a rise on the right side.

One of my other bikes was a Europe to UK import & it had a flat low beam, so I bought a secondhand UK unit to replace it 👍

• Member Contributer
10 hours ago, Mohawk said:

Yeah some euro models have a flat low beam, others have a rise on the right side.

One of my other bikes was a Europe to UK import & it had a flat low beam, so I bought a secondhand UK unit to replace it 👍

None of my VFR's have had a raised LHS to the beam, all were flat.

Does Europe have different ones then?

6 hours ago, jefferson said:

So do your units use the regular H4 bulbs ?

Yes, regular H4. Mind you that some units (Italian) come with only one bulb/socket.

2 hours ago, Skids said:

None of my VFR's have had a raised LHS to the beam, all were flat.

Does Europe have different ones then?

Pre VTEC had a raised section, not sure about the 6th gen. Now it's all flat.

• Member Contributer

I've swapped German, UK and US Honda headlights around, but not on a VFR.  The beam pattern is different for Europe and the US, but nobody would notice on the road.  Rumour has it that the DOT-spec calls for a certain amount of light to spill up, over the "cut-off", specifically to illuminate road signs (which are otherwise non-illuminated in parts of the US).  I don't know whether to laugh or cry about that...

Ciao,

JZH

Archived