Fuel tank breather pipes, or the absence thereof

moroseduck

Hey folks, been a little VFR-less since a poor choice and am unfortunate conversation with the ground last year left my gen 3 '93 veef looking much the worst for wear. 

Getting hold of replacement plastic has been as hard as you'd imagine, but today I dropped off what I've got to be resprayed and hopefully made beautiful again. 

As part of this process the tank had to come off, first time I've tried that. Other than the fuel line splitting from old age it went well, apart from removing the breather hoses. This I couldn't do as there weren't any. 

The bike has been running just fine for years, and has had work done over the years which would definitely have necessitated removal of the tank by the garage, so my question is this - am I good? Should I put pipes on there, and if so, where should they go? 

Also, does anyone competent live anywhere near Oxfordshire in the UK, because while I've done OK getting the bike good and naked, I'm not so confident about getting her all back together again 😂

Main thing you are OK, plastic can be painted. For old machinery keeping rubber up to date is important. Now is good time since you are waiting for stuff anyway. Manual should have section dedicated to rubber lines routing, I would go through the section and replace as much as possible.

Perhaps to late for the tip in your case but digital photography is an invaluable tool for disassembling/ reassembling machinery, particularly when there is a period of time in between. 

Good advice, thank you - I have taken many pictures on my phone, hopefully they all make sense when I come back to it 👍

I have the Haynes manual, and it doesn't seem to offer any useful info on these pipes, other than they're connected to the fuel tank. 

• Member Contributer
13 minutes ago, moroseduck said:

Good advice, thank you - I have taken many pictures on my phone, hopefully they all make sense when I come back to it 👍

I have the Haynes manual, and it doesn't seem to offer any useful info on these pipes, other than they're connected to the fuel tank. 

Sorry for your mis-fortune.  Once she's pretty again, please post up some photos - always great to see a Gen 3 brought back to life.

You can download the factory manual for free in the downloads section, link below.  I don't now if it has any more detail on the plastic fitment than he Haynes book does, but it is a good reference to have.

https://www.vfrdiscussion.com/index.php?/files/file/2-vfr-750-service-manual/

That's really useful, thank you - more detail on some stuff than the Haynes, although still nothing on the breather tubes for the fuel tank. I guess if it ran OK before it should be OK afterwards. 

I'll share some pics once she's done and back together - I don't think it'll be as pretty as it was before, this is a bit of a budget refresh, but it was either that or give up on it (or make rubbish naked bike) and I really didn't want to do either of those things! 

Archived