Stock suspension geometry

Hi I bought a previously loved VFR800 just trying to get it dialed in and wanted to know what some of the stock suspension settings were.

Front Forks:

Overall fork length with full extension if possible

Distance from stock triple clamp to fork cap - disregard clip ons as mine came with helibars

Rear suspension:

Shock length

From here I'm hoping to then dial in suspension preload and then fool around with the adjustments 

Suspension settings should be set up for 22mm of sag and this is best done with you sitting on the bike 

meaning set the suspension for your weight not what others have set for their weight 

2 hours ago, Gotama said:

Suspension settings should be set up for 22mm of sag and this is best done with you sitting on the bike 

meaning set the suspension for your weight not what others have set for their weight 

Hi Gotama, 

Yes I'm familiar with how this is done, I wanted to basically zero the bike first and see it how it is at stock geometry and then I was going to tear through rebuilding the forks etc

• Member Contributer

I believe the stock settings for my ‘08 are:

Fork preload: 2nd groove from top

Shock preload (using ABS-model remote preload adjuster): 7 clicks out from full soft according to owners manual or 7 clicks out from full hard according to service manual 🙄

Shock rebound damping: one and a quarter turn from full hard.

11 minutes ago, Dash said:

I believe the stock settings for my ‘08 are:

Fork preload: 2nd groove from top

Shock preload (using ABS-model remote preload adjuster): 7 clicks out from full soft according to owners manual or 7 clicks out from full hard according to service manual 🙄

Shock rebound damping: one and a quarter turn from full hard.

Thanks I was referring to fork height at which point it is clamped to the triple tree - this has the effect on trail - which is part of the geometry. the Preload adjusters - are the mechanical compression of the fork springs. 

The shock rebound adjustment has to do with the control of fluid dynamics. The geometry I was referring to is the shock length, measured from eye to eye or eye to clevis. 

What I want to do is get the bike back to the showroom or factory handling characteristics and see how it behaves. Right now I know the correct suspension adjustment values and I know the geometry measurements but that's a single point, what I want to get is a second reference point so I know how to make my adjustments to optimize the bike for my desired riding behavior.

• Member Contributer

The stock fork position is 41mm from the top of the triple to the end of the fork tube according to the manual. 

• 2 weeks later...

Archived