Best switched power source for Heated Grips

GaryN

Just received Oxford Heated grips and looking for the best place to get switched power. On other bikes, I've used a relay for the heated grips connected to switched power and I'd like to do the same again. 

I can probably figure this out, but experience is so much better. So any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

Gary

• Member Contributer

Tail light power is probably a good one to tap into for your relay coil. Then main grip power via the relay contacts to the battery, protected by a fuse of course.

Just keep away from using the main power for all your EFI stuff.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/3/2021 at 10:26 PM, Grum said:

Tail light power is probably a good one to tap into for your relay coil. Then main grip power via the relay contacts to the battery, protected by a fuse of course.

Just keep away from using the main power for all your EFI stuff.

Sorry to hijack post, but I'm putting a relay from my rear lights, now can I run my heated grips and a USB /voltmeter thing from the same relay or would I need two?

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, courtuk said:

Sorry to hijack post, but I'm putting a relay from my rear lights, now can I run my heated grips and a USB /voltmeter thing from the same relay or would I need two?

The voltmeter will take a trivial amount of power so no issue adding that to the same relay as the grips, but you will find the meter will show a lower voltage when the grips are running. As long as you bear that in mind then I saw no issue with that and had the same setup on my VFR. Interesting that the control for the Oxford Hotgrips is a timed pulse system; lower settings pulse the power off for longer, the off time is shorter for the higher temperature settings; this is very visible if you watch the voltage as it will cycle up and down with the heating cycles.

Archived