I like my 8 th gen VFR , but..................

Careca

I like my 8 th gen vfr , but I think it sounds absolutely shit . 

I have 2  5th gen vfr's  , one with a full ss black widow system and it sounds absolutely glorious and the other one is a standard system with a viper end can and that sounds really good too . They sound great on cold  start up , a bit V8 and at  idle it has a nice rumble  and the sound is unique and very pleasing. My friend has a 6 th gen with twin leo's and it sounds very V8 on start up and sounds really good on idle . 

My 8 th gen has the Honda Akrap[ovic and I think it sounds really shit. In fact I haven't heard an 8 th gen that sounds nice let alone anything  like the 5 th or 6 th gen .

Has Honda changed the firing time/order or is it the cat ? What have they done , because as an aural experience the 8 th gen is pants. 

Is it just me ? 

I just bought an 8th Gen. that has a Delkovic can that sounds OK but real quiet. I believe the baffle is still in place.  I will be removing it because this monstrosity blocks the beautiful single sided swing arm wheel. I'm thinking about going with Coffman because it exposes everything but I've yet to see YouTube video were it actually sounds good.

I feel the same way.  I've had dozens of supersport, sport-touring and adventure bikes in the last 40 years and my 2014 VFR is the worst I've owned from an aural standpoint.  The OEM exhaust's tone is too high-pitched.   I bought an Akrapovic slip-on and the tone was perfect (smooth/deep rumble), but the volume was far too loud for my taste, especially at start-up and idle.   I sold it and bought an Arrow slip-on but but it was even louder.  I have Arrow mufflers on my Ducati and two of my Triumphs, but they only altered the tone without drastically increasing the volume, so I was surprised at how they sounded on the VFR.   Granted, I've never owned or been around any generation of VFR until I bought my 8th gen, so I can't compare it to any previous models.  For now, I've resigned myself to keeping the stock muffler on the bike, even though it's ugly, heavy, and sounds like an angry sewing machine.  At least I can hear my intercom and I don't wake the neighbors when I'm leaving the house.  On the road, I just turn up the music a little louder and ignore the exhaust.

If the Akrapovic had the same decibel level as the OEM exhaust, it would be perfect for me.  

• Member Contributer

I have the Arrow with the insert out and it sounds excellent to me, a little louder than the oem but not obnoxious loud IMO, fits nicely with the oem side cases too. :fing02::fing02:

IMG_5965_zpswushusgf.jpg?width=1920&heig

IMG_5639_zps7qgs6aen.jpg?width=1920&heig

• Member Contributer

Can you remove any noise reducer that may be in the end of the Akrapovic?

I can certainly understand you saying that the 6gen sounds better. The main reason for this is the 6gen with its upswept longer pipe, and just like a pipe organ, the longer the pipe the deeper the note.

I first fitted an Arrow Pro Racing pipe and with the noise reducer removed it sounded fairly rich and deepish with just the right sound level for me, others commented on its nice sound, however I never really enjoyed the kind of older style trumpet look of it.

I then fitted an IXIL twin outlet pipe. This is a much shorter arrangement and has 3 noise level options, no reducers, 1 reducer or both reducers. I run with 1 reducer fitted and like the sound very much, not as deep and throaty as a 6gen, but has nice crackle under heavy throttle and sweet enough burble at low throttle.

Changes to the cat?  - possibly, not sure but there are no changes to firing order or crank angles.

However this is a very subjective topic as everyone's taste varies when it comes to the orchestra of the mighty V4!:fing02:

WP_20160331_003.jpg

I think 8th gen sounds good until you compare to 6th gen, followed by 5/4th gens. 
For now, Akrapovic with a silencer is the best sounding for me. It produces a little more pronounced low rpm rumble without being too noisy. I miss the sound of 6th gen, not going to lie though. 

The Coffman shorty without baffle sounds EXACTLY like my 6th gen with dual Delkevics.   

I just got the baffle delivered for the Coffman today,  as I initially thought it was too loud.  

I’ll do a before / after video with / without baffle tomorrow 

• Member Contributer

It would be intetesting for an 8th owner with the VFRD headers (no cat and a larger diameter) to weigh in on their impression of how the exhaust sound changed.  

• Member Contributer
25 minutes ago, Cogswell said:

It would be intetesting for an 8th owner with the VFRD headers (no cat and a larger diameter) to weigh in on their impression of how the exhaust sound changed.  

flya750 has done exactly that. Crank up the volume, the first one (sound clip) is great from 30secs in! :fing02:

• Member Contributer

The DAM end can on my 2018 VFR800X sounds awesome on hard acceleration. I've fitted the "Sport" dB killer which is the intermediate dB killer between the standard one and no killer.

I guess, like beauty, it's down to the beholder.  :beer:

1897226175_CrossiewithDAM.thumb.jpeg.bae0f77bbe70e6fd805461a175313f13.jpeg

• Member Contributer

I went with the Honda Part numbered Akrapovic. it's a lot better sound than standard, but not too loud which suits me, but may not suit everyone. The wife said the bike does not sound like a lawn mower anymore, given she rides a Yamaha BSW125 scooter and thinks she's a comedian.... so you can work out what that comments worth..

But seriously if you are after a system on the quieter side that has a deeper sound, they are worth a go. I also have a set of wild headers en-route to oz. looking forward to getting them fitted and dyno'ing/tuning the bike ECU to suit.  Currently running a PVC and autotune with a wide band O2 sensor. Also have completed the pair delete (blocking plates) and deactivated the flapper valve. left the snorkel in place, figured it's there for a reason.... what ever that is?IMG_2864.thumb.jpeg.654b5c21f722f08e450ab4b4f16735b0.jpegIMG_2852.thumb.jpeg.7b0d59fabaae6ac2c8d88ccb25860b54.jpeg

• Member Contributer
17 minutes ago, Careca said:

I guess I am going to have to live with it. The Honda  Akrapovic does not have a removeable baffle. 

The ones fitted to pre 17 ones have a removal baffle 

This one has no baffle with it anyway £290 https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Honda-VFR800-F-X-Akrapovic-Exhaust-Slip-on-2014-on/114733003512?hash=item1ab69eb2f8:g:cI0AAOSw9hBgVKZo

On 4/2/2021 at 11:28 PM, VifferCrab said:

The Coffman shorty without baffle sounds EXACTLY like my 6th gen with dual Delkevics.   

I just got the baffle delivered for the Coffman today,  as I initially thought it was too loud.  

I’ll do a before / after video with / without baffle tomorrow 

That would be very helpful to hear it!

• Member Contributer
13 hours ago, Thumbs said:

The ones fitted to pre 17 ones have a removal baffle 

This one has no baffle with it anyway £290 https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Honda-VFR800-F-X-Akrapovic-Exhaust-Slip-on-2014-on/114733003512?hash=item1ab69eb2f8:g:cI0AAOSw9hBgVKZo

found that out too late. the non-Honda branded Akrapovic slip-ons  have either a bolt or a single weld that can be drilled out. The one I brought, nope..

1942795104_ScreenShot2021-04-06at12_05_45pm.png

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/2/2021 at 8:10 PM, VifferJ said:

I have the Arrow with the insert out and it sounds excellent to me, a little louder than the oem but not obnoxious loud IMO, fits nicely with the oem side cases too. :fing02::fing02:

IMG_5965_zpswushusgf.jpg?width=1920&heig

IMG_5639_zps7qgs6aen.jpg?width=1920&heig

You wanna sell the db killer?

Archived