I know I'll regret it, but always wanted to do white wheels on a 5th gen.

Magoo

• Member Contributer
12 hours ago, PetesVFR said:

Are white Rims something that you'd have to purchase or just simply paint them white ? 

You want to powdercoat them, as it’s the most durable choice. I’d suggest 2 coats of clear, to really seal them and have a mirror finish. The smoother the finish, the harder it is for stuff to stick to them, and the easier to clean. 

• Member Contributer

My 8-spoke (’90-’93 VFR) rear wheel is ink black powder coated.  The high gloss requires constant cleaning with swiffer duster and detailing in crevices with paint brushes.  If I wait too long and let the dust accumulate, the dust requires mild soap, small microfiber towel, and a bucker of water.  My wife keeps occasionally reminds me I should have done my wheels in white:-/

• Member Contributer
On 4/8/2021 at 6:54 PM, FromMaine said:

Drink the Kool Aid Mike.

Drink the Kool aid.

🙂

0513191518a_HDR.jpg

For the record, I went with a rattle can white enamel called interestingly enough, Appliance Epoxy by Rustoleum. A quick look at their product page shows its actually an enamel, which appears to be what Honda used on their rims.

I brought the rear wheel from my 91 back with me from the UK and looked into powder coating it as it needed attention. No one nearby, the cost of shipping from where I live is prohibitive, and the cost of having it done put it out of the family budget. I also reminded myself the marine industry, I work on ships, had pretty much given up on powder coating as its so hard to repair, and I live about a half mile from the Atlantic. So I had a go at sanding the rim, cleaning with alcohol and sanding the spots that needed it. Let it dry and put 3 coats on..  in stages as it dried. Let it sit for a few days and put the tire on. After 3 years and about 20K I had to touch it up a bit during a tire swap and decided to give it a sand and light coat in the end. The pic is how it looks 6 years on. The front is the original 4th Gen in Black that I painted the same way (had a third Gen rim but wanted the floating rotors). The oem paint was good so the white has lasted 3 years quite well. Not as much riding lately for obvious reasons but about 35K total since the experiment. For about $25 in paint, tape, sandpaper and alcohol, I'm OK with it. 

Just a thought.

Forgot the link.

Specialty Appliance Epoxy Spray Product Page (rustoleum.com)

• Member Contributer
9 hours ago, squirrelman said:

OK then you never lube your chain or use the rear brake................

I use DuPont dry lube as a chain lube, with a wipe of WD-40 as a rust inhibitor.

DP Brakes HH+ brake pads generate almost no dust. They invented the disc brake and are still family-owned. They’ve got it figured out. 

Two coats of clear powdercoat, over the two color coats, leaves a really smooth finish, which is very easy to clean. After I wash the bike, the wheels get hit with Honda Polish. That’s all I do, for wheel maintenance. 

After 3yrs of being white, they’re still crisp. 

E860E551-D24D-412C-BE2B-D0F1C247410B.jpeg

C6F3857B-187A-4574-84C8-CCC0E30F00D1.jpeg

Archived