'07 Anniversary VFR with California evap canister.....

Howtech

I've read somewhere that the Cali version bike has 10-15 less HP because of this canister.

Has anyone removed the canister and electrics to regain this loss of HP?

Thanks in advance,

Howard <><

• Member Contributer

No way canister causes loss of power. All it does is dump extra petrol into engine under non-idle conditions.

But there's more low-end torque on CA version and bike actually does 0-60 faster than its predecessors.

Most likely it's different cams, pistons, headers and catalytic-converter combined that contributed to less power on CA model.

Replace all those parts with non-CA versions and you'll restore top-end power and have slower bike.

2 hours ago, DannoXYZ said:

No way canister causes loss of power. All it does is dump extra petrol into engine under non-idle conditions.

But there's more low-end torque on CA version and bike actually does 0-60 faster than its predecessors.

Most likely it's different cams, pistons, headers and catalytic-converter combined that contributed to less power on CA model.

Replace all those parts with non-CA versions and you'll restore top-end power and have slower bike.

No shit...really?

I'm not complaining mind you. I think the bike has enough low end/top end for this old fart.

I just wanted to maybe get rid of some weight and gain some HP the easiest way possible.

Thanks for the response!!!

<><

• Member Contributer
4 hours ago, DannoXYZ said:

I don't believe there's a CA and non-CA version of the 6th gen?  All US built ones have the cats, etc. as far as I know, and Honda didn't have to include that one but wanted to ("Hey everyone, here's one of the first sport bikes with a cat...go team!").

• Member Contributer

Only '98-'99 CA bikes had 6-8 less hp, and only difference in hard parts for lower hp was camshafts and ECU.

• Member Contributer

thanks ShipFixer & vfrcapn for clarification on CA models. I suppose Honda's method of producing 50-state or Worldwide models really simplifies everything from inventory, to production-lines, to catalogues, parts-books, service-manuals, etc. 

• Member Contributer
10 hours ago, Howtech said:

No shit...really?

I'm not complaining mind you. I think the bike has enough low end/top end for this old fart.

I just wanted to maybe get rid of some weight and gain some HP the easiest way possible.

Thanks for the response!!!

<><

i suppose we're all old farts here! 

I think what you're saying is you want "quicker" bike? That accelerates faster? More HP doesn't automatically result in faster bike because it's only peak value calculated at specific RPM. Unless you've got 100-spd transmission and can shift instantly to straddle +/- 100rpms from that HP peak, tuning to increase HP will not create faster bike.

What's measured on dyno and what spins tyre at contact-patch is actually torque. Divide rear-wheel torque by radius of back-tyre and you get linear-thrust at contact patch. Plug that linear-thrust into F=ma and you get acceleration. So obviously, higher thrust F will give you higher acceleration. But, that F needs to be high across rev-range of each gear.

That's where wide and fat torque curve comes in. That thrust is actually surface-area under torque-curve. Problem is that tuning tricks to increase peak-HP at redline tends to decrease mid-range torque, thus slowing down bike's acceleration. Unless you're racer and speedy shifter who can keep revs constantly at redline, mods for more HP won't make bike faster.

Look up headers thread on here to find ways to improve mid-range torque for faster-accelerating bike.

• Member Contributer

yeah, losing 50-lbs off my gut was lots easier (well less costly) than saving that much off bike. 🙂

Everyone!!!

Thank you all for your input on my inquiry.

It's not that I wanted or needed more HP or top end. It just bothered me that an emissions added device was "robbing" me of some extra ponies. 

Seriously, I can live without them....it just bothered me.

This is what I like about forums and the members that are more knowledgeable than I. A place were you can go and get educated fast and maybe get a laugh or two out of it.

ShipFixer  vfrcapn DannoXYZ Magneto.........thanks much!!!

<><

Archived