Maintenance record - how to

Magneto

I wonder how do you guys keep maintenance records. I was surprised somebody mentioned in Blighty paper books are still a thing and being stamped for routine maintenance. Down here peeps moved for dealer electronic record that can be accessed by the buyer via paid services. Do it yourself maintenance can be more tricky. Up to now I would keep live bike threads, where I would describe mods, repairs and such. It has pluses and minuses, mainly pictures would go dead over the years, gutting posts plus usual drama around web boards. On the other side I have friend who kept excel sheet detailing all truck expenditures since new in 1995, then his excel sheet crashed...  

So,  What works best for you?

• Member Contributer

I always get the hard copy of the factory service manuals of my bikes and write in the blank pages in the back date/miles/service done and any extra info related to the work done. ------ works for me....easy stuff and a good record.

If I take any photos, then create a folder on my PC and sometimes upload to Smugmug on those longer projects.

I guess notes worked for all those years since Inkas invented the wheel. Then pdfs are more accessible or like in case of husqvarna only way to go. Another thing, it is hard to describe attention to detail or condition, something even single picture conveys easily.

20210329-224309.jpg

Some kind of vlog perhaps?

• Member Contributer

I have a mileage log book and keep track of it there.  I rarely need to change oil twice per year so it's not a big deal. Brake fluid is every other year and tires,  chain, brakes and coolant as needed.  I don't worry about receipts as I plan to ride it until it's worn out so I won't be trying to convince a buyer.  My records aren't as good as many I'm sure, but she gets plenty of love.

I have an Excel sheet on my Google Drive which works fairly well. 

It's better for "official" maintenance schedules, it's not as accommodating for things you'd do in between the scheduled services but it's workable and easy to access from your phone. 

This is what I use for my NT700V.

image_2021-04-02_112840.png

Archived