Coolant level

sigint

Sorry for the dumb question.  The coolant reservoir on this bike is well-hidden and very opaque, so it is difficult to get a clear reading.  Of course I can see the level much better from down the fill hole.  Just wondering if you guys know of a better way to check the level, either judging from how full it is from the fill hole, or something else.  I don't know...

• Member Contributer

OK, I don't have an 8th Gen, but if the fill cap is accessible, why not use a dipstick.... 2/3 full should be plenty and near max mark.  The proper way of course is to remove plastic.... while you have it off next time, take a red marker and mark the max and min marks?  Is the reason it's opaque from old dark fluid or the bottle needing a cleaning on the inside and out?

• Member Contributer

If you shine a light down the fill neck it should easier to see the level.  If it's opaque due to the coolant contaminating the tank's plastic, maybe it's due for a flush and refill. 

• Member Contributer

The 8gen is a bit of a PITA to check the coolant level in the reserve tank, as its virtually impossible to see it when looking through the tank side cover as suggested in the owners book.

So I remove the seat and the rubber reserve tank cap, give the bike a shake and make sure I can see coolant near the neck of the tank. You could also use some form of a dip stick I guess.

the most accurate and reliable way to check coolant level is to look under the radiator cap on a cool engine. there are various reasons why the overflow bottle might NOT be a good indication of coolant level.

4 hours ago, Magneto said:

Fill it up to the neck then extract the excess with syringe tipped with pre cut tygon tubing...

No takers, therefore visualized on my 1200

20190414-193912.jpg

I am able to use flashlight to illuminate coolant, if this is not possible cut piece of tygon to lenght  corresponding with max level with syringe resting against the neck and pull the excess out. Simple and positive verification...

• 4 months later...
On 3/29/2021 at 9:54 PM, Grum said:

The 8gen is a bit of a PITA to check the coolant level in the reserve tank, as its virtually impossible to see it when looking through the tank side cover as suggested in the owners book.

So I remove the seat and the rubber reserve tank cap, give the bike a shake and make sure I can see coolant near the neck of the tank. You could also use some form of a dip stick I guess.

I found I got a better look at the reserve tank by loosening the plastic trim (by removing the two allen bolts). It would be better to remove it completely but I couldn't find how it was attached at the other end. Even at it was, I needed a flashlight.

So I'll probably go with the tank-neck method when I top it up tomorrow. Can I ask what's the purpose of shaking the bike? Just so you can see the liquid moving? And will it be obvious what you mean by "near the neck of the tank"?

My other question is how sensitive is it to not being perfectly level when you check it? I assume it's OK to use the centre stand?

Cheers

• Member Contributer
7 hours ago, HareBrain said:

I found I got a better look at the reserve tank by loosening the plastic trim (by removing the two allen bolts). It would be better to remove it completely but I couldn't find how it was attached at the other end. Even at it was, I needed a flashlight.

So I'll probably go with the tank-neck method when I top it up tomorrow. Can I ask what's the purpose of shaking the bike? Just so you can see the liquid moving? And will it be obvious what you mean by "near the neck of the tank"?

My other question is how sensitive is it to not being perfectly level when you check it? I assume it's OK to use the centre stand?

Cheers

The tank side trim removal requires the seat to be removed first. Then remove the two screws. The trim needs to be pulled outwards slightly near the screw area to release a plastic pin like locator, then the trim is pulled rearward to release it from the two slide in tabs on the tank. Easy once you've done it a couple of times.

As the coolant reservoir neck doesn't look directly into the coolant, is does a slight dog leg! With the cap off giving the bike a bit of a shake while on the center stand is enough to see the coolant slosh up to be seen looking down the neck of the coolant reservoir.

No big deal really,  just tells me the level is high enough in the coolant reservoir, and hasn't dropped since last checked.

Its no drama if you overfill the coolant reservoir, any excess will exit the over full drain hose. You just don't want to under fill it. Also knowing its level and checking regularly means you're not seeing any coolant leak issues.

Archived